Sick Foster Cat Mum and Struggling Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elenab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Flick is on his way out too. The incredible thing is that, now that she only has two kittens in her care, mumma cat is acting like a mom! She is cleaning them, responding to their cries etc. I think they have a really great chance.
It hurts watching Rosey fade away right now. She was the most gorgeous little baby and even occasionally purred when I held her. The shelter said they were only expecting one of the four to make it anyway... still sucks...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this, but it is what sounded like was happening. Fading kitten syndrome - due to genetics or just being too ill to carry on they fade away. Or pneumonia - which no tiny kitten survives. RIP little ones.

I believe it is coincidence that mama kitty is feeling better at the same time the kittens were passing. She's had time for her meds to kick in and is feeling well enough to attend to her remaining two kittens. It sounds like they are doing well.

Hang in there, and post pictures when you can!

elenab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the support! Posting on this site was definitely the best decision! :)
On the upside, I have wonderful news about the healthy two, Hopper and Gypsy. Gypsy has gained 17 grams in the last 24hrs and Hopper has gained 21 grams! Their sneezing has gone down too! :)

I do have another question. Gypsy's eyes have started to open a little earlier than expected (they are 8 days old) and look a slightly creamy. Is this normal or a bad sign?

Also, i will post pictures soon. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens' eyes open anywhere from 5-14 days from birth. I'd say Gypsy is right on time!

If the eyes look creamy or unclear, he may need an antibiotic eye ointment from the vet to clear up any infection. Is there discharge?

Congrats on the super healthy weight gains!

elenab

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh excellent. I certainly didn't expect anything until day 10! I'll wait another day and see if they clear up. There isn't any discharge.
The two kittens are finally getting to be the kittens they should at this age. The flu meds are definitely helping! Things are looking good. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great! Keep an eye on his eyes. If there's infection or herpes in the eyes they will both need special medicine to treat it immediately.