Shunso is obsessively pulling out his fur!

schrody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shunso is at it again. He will suddenly sit down and pull out huge tufts of fur from his back, legs and thighs... This can go on for hours if I don't snap him out of it, but I'm not always home to do so.

According to the shelter I got him from and his former foster home, this is not new behaviour. Shunso suffered from a sever skin condition (unidentified, the vet found no mites or fungus) a couple of years ago when he was taken in, he was practically hairless. We think he might have just pulled all of his hair out. He had a cortisone treatment and was cured.

When he went to his foster home later, it started agin after 2 months... Full blood test was perfect, no issues detected. Further skin tests for mites or fungus were negative too... Another cortisone treatment did the job but still no idea what the cause is.

And now he's been home for a few months, was doing perfectly fine, but he's at it again. 

I did consider food allergies but it seems very unlikely as he ate totally differently at the shelter than at his foster home, and here he eats a balanced raw diet. His fur was finally growing so beautiful and thick, but now he is making himself go bald again. 

And if it's just OCD, then how come cortisone fixes it for a few months each time? 

He will go back in for another treatment but I am so puzzled as to what could be the cause? If anyone has experience with this or ideas I would love your input...

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet about possible psychogenic alopecia. It can be a behavioral thing instead of a medical thing. Few "regular" vets know much about behavior caused issues like pulling out fur. I just read a small case study about it. In that case, a vet behaviorist was consulted and the the treatment plan consisted of training the cat to do agility (I guess to give the cat something to do other than pluck at the fur?) and addressing food allergies that were discovered during the agility training. The cat stopped over grooming. Here's some info to share with yoru vet: http://www.cliniciansbrief.com/sites/default/files/Psychogenic Alopecia in Cats.pdf

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

schrody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! I will definitely look into it. 

However if it were such an issue, how come cortisone treatments temporarily cure him? It's a bit odd. :(