Shoutout: Tcs Is The No. 1 Cat Site!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

Anne Anne So, you created this marvellous place back in 2000. Great credit to you and I for one would like to hear your story of why, how etc. you kicked this off in the first place. The trials and tribulations, early members, how it grew, best/worst moments etc. etc. etc. I'm sure all of us will be interested.
Old timers probably know the story, but it's always nice to tell it again. :biggrin:

Growing up, I always had at least one cat, usually two, so I thought I knew my way around them. Twenty years ago, I moved into my own place with my boyfriend (now husband and father of my children). He's never had cats and was reluctant for us to adopt one, so I settled for visiting my old cat back home (not too far away from where we lived).

A few months into the relationship, he shows up with five kittens in a box :lol: He was walking down the street and found some kids "playing" with them. They had already dunked one cat in a puddle and were about to continue when he intervened, put all 5 kittens in a box and brought them home. They were tiny little things, maybe 4 weeks old.

We found good homes for 4 of them, and got "stuck" with the fifth :biggrin: She was not an easy cat. I'm not sure if it was just her genetic makeup or maybe being abused as a young kitten, but she was more aggressive than the average kitten and I was seeking help. Back then, hardly any internet to speak of but there was Amazon. So, I bought over a dozen books about cat behavior and started learning all I could about proper cat care. I learned how to deal with our own cat, got "her" another cat in the process and became a real cat lady :lovecat2:

I then hooked up with a local rescue association and started helping out there as well, focusing on cat behavior. I worked with the very experienced head of the organization who taught me a whole lot more. I was helping people out with behavior problems and I could see that there was a real need for good cat care information. So, I taught myself HTML and launched a cat website. Started out small and gradually grew the forums and the content in the site and basically, here we are 17 years later!

We've had some wonderful members over the years, many have moved on and others joined. That's the nature of an online community. We do have moderators who have been here many years, and maybe they'd like to share a story or two. The thing I'm most proud of is this wonderful community of real cat lovers, who stick around for years and help cats by helping owners. Kudos to you and thank you!

For me, cats come first and they always will. Even if this means we're not scorching social media with our presence like LOL Cats kind of sites do. If you can, please do help us by sharing articles and threads from TCS with your friends! Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or just via email - every share helps us get the word out to more cat lovers.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Anne, Congratulations!! Thank You for all your hard work and dedication!

TheCatSite should be #1 !!!

This is my 'go to' site, every day, several times a day. I have learned so much from such friendly, understanding, supportive, and knowledgable people; and have made a lot of friends here. Thank You.

I do not know where I or Artie would be, without this site.

Thank you, again, and Congratulations.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any time I'm in the Cat Products aisle at any local store, if I see someone browsing, especially if they're picking up all the basics like a litter box and scratching post and kitten food, I make a point to mentions TCS as the best place to go for information about their pet and support when the inevitable problems arise. Not to build up the site, but because it's the best advice I can give. (I also tell them to always include wet food in their cat's diet and to steer clear of kitty crack, aka Temptations.) I've no idea how well it works, but it can't hurt.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the first place I come to in the morning and the last place before I go to bed. And all times in between. I am so glad I found this site. Thank you for creating it and Thanks to all the wonderful members here.