Should we go on prednisolone?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Otherwise Musiaka is doing great on pred! Big appetite, playful, no more vomiting and not even burping/lip smacking.
But I'm wondering about the dosage.

Our old vet prescribed 5 mg for a week and then to go down to 2,5 mg. Our new vet wants him on 5 mg for 2 weeks. Musiaka stopped vomiting after just 2 days on pred, so maybe a week is enough? The new vet says she likes it better when her patients stay on the same dosage for a longer time to make sure that the symptoms are not returning. It sounds reasonable, but at the same time - Musiaka's symptoms has already disappeared and the shorter he stays on a larger dose, the better.

What do you guys think?
After going through high to low dosages multiple times (and trying numerous other treatments which didn't do anything except causing major problems getting them into her) our vet at the time allowed me to monitor and figure out the lowest dosage which worked for us. It is one half of a .05 mg tablet every other day. We have a routine and she is good at taking it since it is so small. Sometimes I use a pill pocket that I cut in half so she can gulp it down without biting. Yearly blood tests to make sure no liver, kidney or any other problems. Her beloved Dr Kate went to equines only but luckily the vet we have now (same clinic) agreed with our assessment of her treatment which is working so very well.
20211210_224847.jpg
20211210_224621.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no issues pilling Musiaka luckily! And I got a grasp on splitting the pill evenly.
However Musiaka is still vomiting sometimes on a 2,5 mg dose. It happened last Sunday and this Sunday again, exactly on the same day 1 week in between. However this Sunday he threw up a bunch of plastic from the Christmas tree! He thinks it's grass and is trying to eat it! I'm seriously considering taking it down as there was quite a lot of it he ate and it could have been serious. I'm glad he was able to vomit it out...

However he has gained weight and looks so nice. His appetite is much better than before prednisolone

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have no issues pilling Musiaka luckily! And I got a grasp on splitting the pill evenly.
However Musiaka is still vomiting sometimes on a 2,5 mg dose. It happened last Sunday and this Sunday again, exactly on the same day 1 week in between. However this Sunday he threw up a bunch of plastic from the Christmas tree! He thinks it's grass and is trying to eat it! I'm seriously considering taking it down as there was quite a lot of it he ate and it could have been serious. I'm glad he was able to vomit it out...

However he has gained weight and looks so nice. His appetite is much better than before prednisolone
Can you keep him away from the tree somehow? If not I'd go ahead and take it down for now.. Photo from Instagram.
20211208_125206.jpg

Is there any green grass outside you could go pull some for him? Or take him out in harness? Good luck.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you keep him away from the tree somehow? If not I'd go ahead and take it down for now.. Photo from Instagram.View attachment 404184
Is there any green grass outside you could go pull some for him? Or take him out in harness? Good luck.
Aww, that's Marmalade in the picture :)

I will try to raise the Xmas trees higher so that he can't reach them. He's not the heights loving type.
We have snow here, so I don't take him out in harness anymore, but even so, too many feral cats out there, grass might be contaminated. But I bought the one that sprouts out of seeds really quickly. Musiaka has always been a grass lover and even eats hair from the floor because it resembles grass in a way. Of course, might be a deficiency as well, but he receives vitamins, so I think it's just his habit. He used to be an outside cat and munch on grass all year long

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I bet he would like the chew wheel I dm'd. I've bought Gypsy almost every type of dental chew and they are the only ones she will have anything to do with.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, that's Marmalade in the picture :)

I will try to raise the Xmas trees higher so that he can't reach them. He's not the heights loving type.
We have snow here, so I don't take him out in harness anymore, but even so, too many feral cats out there, grass might be contaminated. But I bought the one that sprouts out of seeds really quickly. Musiaka has always been a grass lover and even eats hair from the floor because it resembles grass in a way. Of course, might be a deficiency as well, but he receives vitamins, so I think it's just his habit. He used to be an outside cat and munch on grass all year long
And the look on Marmalades face is priceless! Even though Musiaka is on vitamins is it possible there is something he is still deficient in? Do you give him a prebiotic/probiotic?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And the look on Marmalades face is priceless! Even though Musiaka is on vitamins is it possible there is something he is still deficient in? Do you give him a prebiotic/probiotic?
The look on Marm's face is like "and you think this will stop me?" :)
I still give him the s.boulardii probiotic, also a multivitamin complex with b12, folic acid, magnesium and some other vitamins. But if he has IBD which he most definitely does, he might not absorb them well.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It kinda feels like vomiting is slowly creeping back on us. Musiaka puked a little bit early in the morning, when his bowl was already empty. He also did last Sunday morning, when he puked out the plastic decoration. This is a lot of vomiting compared to that first month of pred, when he didn't vomit at all.

Two things got definitely better - I no longer find poop outside of the litter box. It was getting more and more frequent before pred. He would have it stuck and run away from his box, resulting in poops in random places. Also, his appetite is excellent, but there has been more acid burps lately. So to me, symptoms are 50% back.

I remember that his symptoms didn't disappear at once on our first round with Prednisolone either, but somehow we managed to settle on 2,5 mg every other day and there was a long period of no vomiting, until I weaned him off. So I think I will start lowering the dose next week as instructed and if he never settles into it, we won't continue on pred.

I'm also trying to give him a little bit Hills z/d canned food. Maybe Purina Pro Plan delicate isn't suitable for him. I didn't notice anything special (except improved appetite) on it and he's been getting it for almost 3 months now. What worries me is the fat content of 8%. He loves it though.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are like most of us who love the stuff that is the most bad for us.
Well, Purina Pro Plan is not bad in itself at all, it's an advanced formula monoprotein food and not like the Purina stuff we can find at stores. It's expensive too. I'm not 100% sure its the food, only that I haven't seen big improvement on it. Maybe it's not suitable for Musiaka, but maybe it's not the reason why his symptoms are returning. Will check if Hills z/d makes any difference at all

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Purina Pro Plan is not bad in itself at all, it's an advanced formula monoprotein food and not like the Purina stuff we can find at stores. It's expensive too. I'm not 100% sure its the food, only that I haven't seen big improvement on it. Maybe it's not suitable for Musiaka, but maybe it's not the reason why his symptoms are returning. Will check if Hills z/d makes any difference at all
🤞🤞💖💝😽

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How are things going with you?
Merry Christmas!
It's ok with Musiaka, but we still have around 1 vomiting per week, mostly related to something irritating his stomach, like today I ran out of his regular food (have counted it wrong!) and had to buy a random one - he immediately vomited. Last time it was related to the plastic he swallowed. So I'm not sure... well Pred is probably not almighty

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Merry Christmas!
It's ok with Musiaka, but we still have around 1 vomiting per week, mostly related to something irritating his stomach, like today I ran out of his regular food (have counted it wrong!) and had to buy a random one - he immediately vomited. Last time it was related to the plastic he swallowed. So I'm not sure... well Pred is probably not almighty
⛄ Merry Christmas! 🎄 Sounds like the pred is doing very well, after all there were very valid reasons for the vomiting:purr:
Have you tried chew toys yet? How is the cat grass doing? Would love to see some pictures of Musiaka. Happy to hear he is doing so well, make sure to take care of yourself too and please keep us updated💞😽

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
⛄ Merry Christmas! 🎄 Sounds like the pred is doing very well, after all there were very valid reasons for the vomiting:purr:
Have you tried chew toys yet? How is the cat grass doing? Would love to see some pictures of Musiaka. Happy to hear he is doing so well, make sure to take care of yourself too and please keep us updated💞😽
Apparently he vomited twice today... But it was so weird, he got so worried after I left (went to see my dad for Christmas and he was left at home with my mom who lives here too), as soon as he noticed that I'm not at home he started walking around, miaowing constantly, sitting at the front door. I instructed my mom to feed him Hills z/d Hydrolized Protein canned food, the one I tried to switch him to but failed, because Purina Pro Plan hasn't arrived yet. He vomited twice after he ate some of it (unwillingly also). And proceeded to be restless for the rest of the day and barely slept.

On my way home I got some regular Purina turkey patè, and gave him some of that now. He immediately calmed down after I came back. I'm thinking that his nerves and being fed something he doesn't like affected his stomach. Poor baby, looking for his mamma. :(

I got him some grass last week and he happily chewed on it, after it grew out. His interest in eating plastic disappeared after that. :)

Here's a picture of Musiaka before destroying this feather toy :D

Attachments