should i switch my vet?

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet I am taking Kyo to is super unorganized. The tech entered the data about kyo' s shots wrong. He just had his second set. He put it in as the first. They know the age of kyo. They scheduled his appointment for the shots two weeks too early. They gave me an estimate for his upcoming surgery over the phone. They added on an extra $100 in the office and said they made a mistake. Should I switch?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I would definitely be looking for a new vet. If they can't even keep their records straight how do you know they're going to do the right surgery?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely be looking for a new vet. If they can't even keep their records straight how do you know they're going to do the right surgery?
Or do the surgery right, since this kitty is to have an extensive amount done. 

Yeah, I'd be looking for another vet.  One mistake, I attribute it to a human error.  Two mistakes this close together, then it's my error if I continue using them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I think I will. If any of you have seen some of my earliest posts, you understand why I'm hesitant to switch to another vet since this one is the only one that does laser de-clawing. For those of you who are just joining this battle, please understand that I have no choice in this de-clawing situation. But since this vet is so unorganized, I'm worried about letting them do the surgery on him.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly do not know the real outcomes of laser vs. other means of declawing.  I'm not so sure that laser declawing results in any less pain or complications.  I've heard an argument that removing the digit at the joint is better than cutting through bone, but I honestly have to plead ignorant here.  Maybe someone else can offer some help on this.

I don't like declawing, but for the sake of your situation and anyone who may face the same I hope someone can help.  I had to consider the option of toe amputation once for Julie (one of my polydactyl cats).  She had a claw that wasn't shedding and was about to grow into the  toe.  Somehow, after many nights of me crying and wishing she'd get past this, she finally shed that crazy big claw sheath and has been fine ever since.  Stressed me out, I tell ya!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I remember right, you mentioned before that you can't change vet because of this declawing thing. If you switch, will you still be able to fight against declawing?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If I remember right, you mentioned before that you can't change vet because of this declawing thing. If you switch, will you still be able to fight against declawing?
I *think* this vet was chosen because of the type of declawing surgery performed.  I think the OP's mom is steadfast on having him declawed.

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Correct. I still have to get him de-clawed.

taygan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to let you know declawing your cat can cripple him. So if I were you I would research it more. Look up "the paw project" to get a better view from it. But good luck with you're cat

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this. But if it doesn't happen, he goes to the shelter.

taygan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm sorry well good luck for your cat!! Hope the surgery goes well!!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just to let you know declawing your cat can cripple him. So if I were you I would research it more. Look up "the paw project" to get a better view from it. But good luck with you're cat
She's already mentioned that she has no say in the matter, so there is no point bringing it up again. Let's help her with what she has a say in instead. 
 She's actually a very responsible person.

Cuddly, if it were me, that'd be a big warning sign to switch vets. You want to find someone who is confident an competent in their work. She is going to need a lot of care during and after surgery. Just like a job application, if the disorganization shows, it's a sign of the person's ability to do their jobs.

cuddly calico

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Then it's decided. I'm switching. I want him safe.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
go with your gut.

and switch to a different vet. you will leave the vets office feeling confident, happy, and knowing you cats are being taken care of.

it could either be the vet, or the people in the office that are not doing their job as they should. either way, you should not have to deal with that. 

good luck :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly do not know the real outcomes of laser vs. other means of declawing.  I'm not so sure that laser declawing results in any less pain or complications.  I've heard an argument that removing the digit at the joint is better than cutting through bone, but I honestly have to plead ignorant here.  Maybe someone else can offer some help on this.

I don't like declawing, but for the sake of your situation and anyone who may face the same I hope someone can help.  I had to consider the option of toe amputation once for Julie (one of my polydactyl cats).  She had a claw that wasn't shedding and was about to grow into the  toe.  Somehow, after many nights of me crying and wishing she'd get past this, she finally shed that crazy big claw sheath and has been fine ever since.  Stressed me out, I tell ya!
Why didn't you just clip it? That happened to my late lotto and the nurse clipped it and that was that.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why didn't you just clip it? That happened to my late lotto and the nurse clipped it and that was that.
It was up against the skin and she was sore, and if the sheath would not come off then this was going to present a continual and increasing problem.  Thankfully it came off.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was up against the skin and she was sore, and if the sheath would not come off then this was going to present a continual and increasing problem.  Thankfully it came off.
Thank goodness. Did it just fall off?