Should I Still Be Hoping My Missing Cat Will Come Home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, what a Sweetie!

The kids next door are all into One Piece so they've named all the stray cats after characters in that. We've got a Robin, a Ru, a Noah...... I've never seen that manga, so I can't remember what they call the others.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stewball.  Carpet's doing fine now. She has been vaccinated against cat flu but she's got a bad case of the sniffles. She's very patient and sits on my lap while I sponge her eyes and nose clean, she's eating well too. The other kittens have to be wrapped in a towel and wrestled to the ground before I can get their eye drops in, but they seem to be recovering. :)

Kaoscats, you were so lucky to get Goku back. Poor little guy, he must have been terrified. At least he was smart enough to keep coming back to look for you. Glad to hear your older cat attacked the guy you were renting with, it made me smile to hear that. I love Goku's name, is he called after the character in Dragon Ball?
We done carpet. Come on kitties let mum make you all nice and healthy.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I wanted to post a happy happy update!  Patches came to my deck during the night!!!  I am in utter shock.  I have surveillance cameras that I use also for the cats comings and goings.  He was very skinny, but he is alive!! 

ShadowsRescue, you've given me an idea. I've been using my camera in lots of different places and done a full 1-mile diameter circle around my house, but maybe George will come closer to home now that the weather is getting colder. I've started setting up the camera every night at the bottom of the field where George always used to hang out. The colony tend to stay in the fields in the opposite direction so maybe, just maybe he'll start coming back to his old favourite mousing spot. 

I so hope this will work and you are able to spot George.  Was George ever prone to wandering before this?  I cannot for the life of me figure these cats out?  Why when they have such a happy home life with comforts and great food do they leave us and have us worry worry worry.  The animal communicator I work with has told me that Patches does not want to be owned.  He likes being on his own.  He said he has turned as feral as he can get and likes being wild.  Just crazy.  I hope you see something soon on your camera.

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its great that you found carpet! I hope they all get well soon. I agree about fixing cars to keep cats from getting in the engines. It would prevent a lot of injuries and deaths.
Moving the cameras really is a good idea. I hope you at least get a sighting of George.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Its great that you found carpet! I hope they all get well soon. I agree about fixing cars to keep cats from getting in the engines. It would prevent a lot of injuries and deaths.
Moving the cameras really is a good idea. I hope you at least get a sighting of George.
Yes, I was really happy to see her again. She was gone from Tuesday night to Friday afternoon so I expected the worse. It's great to have her home again.

So far the only thing to show up on the camera is one of the other male cats I feed, but you never know. At least this way I'll have a bit of warning if any foxes or bears show up. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I so hope this will work and you are able to spot George.  Was George ever prone to wandering before this?  I cannot for the life of me figure these cats out?  Why when they have such a happy home life with comforts and great food do they leave us and have us worry worry worry.  The animal communicator I work with has told me that Patches does not want to be owned.  He likes being on his own.  He said he has turned as feral as he can get and likes being wild.  Just crazy.  I hope you see something soon on your camera.

He was always a sleep-all-day-stay-out-all-night-cat. He once disappeared for about 24 hours, but usually he'd always be there waiting for his breakfast as soon as the sun came up.

I've gone over it in my head so many times, but I really can't work out what happened. He was wearing a collar and tags so if he'd been hit by a car that night I would have known about it. There were no predators around big enough to take a full grown cat. According to the Forestry Department the only thing that takes cats around here are the hawks, but they can't lift more than a few kilos and they don't hunt at night.  There are no stores around here that get deliveries at night, so he couldn't have sneaked into a delivery truck. And there are posters of George up all over town so if someone was feeding him they must have seen his picture with the word REWARD over it.

Maybe he just decided he wanted an adventure. 
 I think George and Patches have both got wanderlust.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Goku is really handsome. How about your older cat? Any pictures? What do you call him or her?

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope no bears show up! I would definitely want a warning for that! Happy Thanksgiving!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I began to post a reply, but now realize that the Thread was started in June of 2013, so deleted what I wrote.

It's such a sad thing once an animal goes missing but there are no time limitations as to when they show up again.  :)

Last edited:

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and resisted joining the conversation because I didn't want to be the owner of a truly lost cat...but the reality is that Kuzon has been gone now for almost 6 weeks and I am trying very hard not to give up hope. I have done what you all are doing....posters and a trail cam. 3am walks and shamelessly pestering anyone who might have seen him. Initially I had several calls about a Siamese and was very hopeful. But the trail cam captured a Siamese who is not Kuzon and so I am dejected. The only hope I have is that one caller insisted he saw Kuzon even after I told him about the look alike. He said he saw that other Siamese too and that there are two - one of which is Kuzon. But all trail cam pics show the same Siamese. I am now working with a feral rescue group...to trap, spay/neuter and return some local strays, including this Siamese, to the nearby creek where they are hanging out. Kuzon has always been a wanderer, but returned home for food and a nap or a cuddle every day. I know you will all tell me not to give up hope. I would tell you all the same thing, but oh the pain!!! And looking for Kuzon has become my second job, and I am starting to weary. He is an excellent hunter, shy of strangers, and very independent so if any of my cats can survive out there it is him, but like you, I can't understand what could have happened to him, other than a terrible accident or injury, that would keep him away for so long. I love him so much and there are so many loving people out there who are looking out for him, that I know I will always hope to have him home safe.... As you are all praying for George and Patches, please also pray for my little man Kuzie....I pray we will all have our lovely babies home soon!

samantha peter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Norachan,

I feel your pain.... My lovely cat,  Mia has gone missing too a week ago.... I miss her like crazy... I've done anything I could & until now I am still do any possible way to find her... Stay positive ya... God willing, our cat will be home sooner or later...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi LuvNickles and Samantha Peter,

I'm so sorry to hear that your cats have gone missing. I'm sorry I haven't posted anything on this thread for a while, I've been up to my eyes in stray kittens (as usual.)

LuvNickles, what's your neighbourhood like? If it's very rural Kuzon may just have gone off on a hunting trip and got distracted. Are there any bigger predators around? The fact that there are colonies of strays living in your neighbourhood suggests that there is enough food and few dangers for cats. As you said, he's a good hunter and very independent, he stands an excellent chance of making it on his own. I know it's heartbreaking to be without him, but don't give up. Cats never really lose their wildness. I'm sure he can take care of himself. Also Siamese are a very distinctive breed, even people who don't really like cats would know what a Siamese looks like. I hope you get a positive sighting soon.

Samantha Peter, a week is really not that long at all. Is Mia spayed? If not she might have gone off looking for a beau. If she is spayed she could have been scared by something and is still hiding. I hear that all cats have a threshold where hunger becomes more urgent than the fear of whatever made them hide in the first place, and when they reach that point they come out of hiding and head home again. I recommend setting up a cat buffet and a trail camera if you haven't done so. I've been filming whatever moves around here for the past 6 months now and even though George hasn't shown himself it's reassuring to see how many other cats and how few predators there are. There are all these stray cats managing to survive outdoors all year round and in all this time I've only filmed one fox. I think all of our missing cats can take care of themselves much better than we give them credit for.

I think about George every day. I used to set myself deadlines and say, "If he's not home before Halloween I'll give up" or "If he's not home before the first snows I'll give up" but the truth is I never can give up on my boy. I know he's out there somewhere. We just have to keep looking.

Please Universe, keep all of our lost cats safe and send them home soon.

samantha peter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for you reply Norachan... give me a relief to read those.. anyway, my Mia already spayed... and thanks for your tips... :)

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No luck searching for Kuzon this week but like Norachan I have had some positive experiences coming from this awful time.  I have begun working with a local feral rescue group, I was hoping to find that Kuzon had joined their group.  No Kuzon but we have managed to trap a mother and her kitten and bring them in out of the bitter cold to be spayed and vaccinated.  No word yet on whether they are adoptable or whether they will have to be returned to their outside habitat.  Hopefully they are friendly enough that they don't have to return to their old life, but at least they won't be bringing any more kittens into the world to live a hard life. 

And i have met so many nice people who are tooting for Kuzon...and everyone tells me not to give up hope, so I keep faithfully posting flyers and checking my trail cam.  I've even been trudging through the creek that he loved and looking at it from the perspective of a cat...it is a wonderland back there and so much hidden "open" space that you woouldn't know was there just driving on the streets.   Rich hunting ground for sure - finding food has never been a worry, but now it has turned so cold.  The ferals manage to survive, but they are used to it.  Even my stray cats that have adopted me and are mostly outdoors, have asked to come in for the nights.  Still - there are so many amazing stories of cats turning up months and even years later. 

Please can we have an update on George and Patches and all the others??

samantha peter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank God... we found Mia! O how happy I am & my family... stay positive dear... I hope all of  you will find your cats too...

However, Mia was wounded here and there, she got many injuries... now, she's in recovering process 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

thank God... we found Mia! O how happy I am & my family... stay positive dear... I hope all of  you will find your cats too...

However, Mia was wounded here and there, she got many injuries... now, she's in recovering process 
Oh, that's fantastic! 

I'm so glad to hear she is safe and sound. Could you give us some more details about how you found her? How did she get injured?