Should I Still Be Hoping My Missing Cat Will Come Home?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes you get lucky. A deaf Angora cat adopted out by our local shelter years ago got loose last summer and seemingly vanished into thin air. Last week I thought I'd spotted him behind a commercial building about a block from his home - it turned out to be him, and he was successfully caught on Saturday.

His "family" made almost no effort to find him and refused to cooperate with the shelter workers who were searching for him, e.g., by putting out food, so they're not getting him back.

A lot of cats find a "second home". For years a cat who lived down the street slept with us because her family put her out every night in all weather. They were rather surprised when I told them she spent her nights in our bed. :)

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well like I said I hadn't seen Tequilia in years I had long since gotten rid of the litter box. Had an eight year old daughter and a new born . Was experiencing fevers of 107 degrees at night cause I had developed an infection on my uterus from my tubal ligation that turned into an abscess. Had married a man whom at that time swore he hated cats. My life had changed people change and sad to say it was just bad timing for Tequila . I found a bag of cat food the last teen ant left and fed him gave him water and pet him that was all I could do at the time. Sadly I found him dead in the yard when I came home from being hospitalized myself.
Like I said people do change my husband found a good job! Six years later my husband brought home a little female, calico kitten insisting I keep her. She never wants outside isn't allowed outside at all! Our world revolves around her she is so smart fetching and running when we call. Got her a buddy to play with too life is looking up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Sometimes you get lucky. A deaf Angora cat adopted out by our local shelter years ago got loose last summer and seemingly vanished into thin air. Last week I thought I'd spotted him behind a commercial building about a block from his home - it turned out to be him, and he was successfully caught on Saturday.

His "family" made almost no effort to find him and refused to cooperate with the shelter workers who were searching for him, e.g., by putting out food, so they're not getting him back.

A lot of cats find a "second home". For years a cat who lived down the street slept with us because her family put her out every night in all weather. They were rather surprised when I told them she spent her nights in our bed.
I'm really happy to hear that you could find the cat again. It must have been so dangerous out there for him, even more dangerous than it is for other cats if he couldn't hear. Dreadful family that didn't even try to get him back. You're right, they don't deserve him.

I still hope that George and Spike found a second home. I'm pretty sure that Spike could still be out in the forest somewhere. I go on really long walks everyday looking for her. I know it's unlikely that I'll just bump into her, but I see deer and squirrels and other wildlife so there is always hope.

Maybe someone found George and didn't want to let him out again. He really seemed to vanish into thin air. I go back to the old neighbourhood a couple of times a week to check on the feral cats that are still there. Sometimes I'll see one of the TNR kitties that I used to feed that I haven't seen for months and they still recognise me. I still cling to the hope that George might be around somewhere.

Wherever he is I hope he is happy. I don't think I'll ever get over losing him.

my cdk cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you ever find george? I hope so. I feel for you. My boy walked for 3 nights November 2009 on the same night we got a massive snowstorm in Canada. I cried for 3 nights and 4 days but he came back despite the snow. I hope you found George. Don't give up. He knows who is mom and where he is loved.

cats save

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haven't read all the replies but this has worked for 3 friends who lost card....go out at night when it's very quiet.... And call your cats name using what sounds you would use for him. This way he can hear you from a farther distance and can find you. It does work... Good luck!

vicki hamill

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My McKinley came home after three weeks and 6 SNOWSTORMS ! He was tattered, dirty, weak but made it home !! Pray to God to protect him and God's will be done. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ . Sorry for your "Angst", I well know the frustration and sadness [emoji]128575[/emoji][emoji]128543[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@My CDK cat  @CATS save  @Vicki Hamill

I'm glad to hear some of your cats made it home again. One of my cats got out and was gone for three and a half weeks but I managed to find her again. Another was gone for ten days after a blizzard, I think she must have got snowed in somewhere. I know miracles can happen, you just have to keep looking and never give up hope.

Sadly George never did come home again. He has been gone for nearly two years now.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy birthday, George. We never met but I think of you often because of this thread and others. I hope that you are safe and well somewhere and someone is caring for you. If you can, I hope that you make it home someday safe and sound.  If you have already crossed the bridge, I wish you peace and happiness and I hope that you know that you will never be forgotten. 

rodentsncats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy birthday, George. We never met but I think of you often because of this thread and others. I hope that you are safe and well somewhere and someone is caring for you. If you can, I hope that you make it home someday safe and sound.  If you have already crossed the bridge, I wish you peace and happiness and I hope that you know that you will never be forgotten. :hugs:
:'( I feel for you Kat0121 Princess would be 7 :( I miss her everyday.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of you today George and you too @Norachan I will always remember George and your endless plight to find him.  Happy Birthday sweet boy.

goldygoldylocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I totally understand what you are going through!  My "kitty cat"  went missing 2nd March 2015 we are now  6th June 3 months!  last I saw of him was on my outside CTV camera.

Has George come home?  Please PM me to let me know    

Kindest Regards  Rachael

Last edited by a moderator:

happycatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
                                  Don't lose hope!  My older inside calico got spooked & slipped out our sliding door. We live in an apt. complex.  I searched

everyday. Someone even thought I was a thief & called the police!  ( Didn't stop my searching)  After a few months, I quit looking as often but never gave 

up. I prayed that  I'd see her again.   Being a cancer survivor, I know prayer works!  Well months later, I saw her going in a storm drain at complex.

A few weeks later she came back in the door.  This ordeal lasted 10 months but my baby was finally home.

missingizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our beautiful cat Izzy disappeared on May 25th. I have been reading stories here for the last few weeks and it has allowed me to shed tears, renew faith and understand that I'm not alone with my grief and suffering.