Should I Still Be Hoping My Missing Cat Will Come Home?

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bita - Hang in there and keep at it.  Cats are really good at fending for themselves and keeping themselves hidden and it takes time and patience to get sightings of these guys.  It is so distressing to hear that ANYone can torture ANY animal.  I sincerely hope you can get your baby back safe and sound and that those horrid kids get caught and prosecuted...and then the help that they need to develop empathy for other living things.

It would be so nice to get a good story of a found kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Bita,

Sorry to hear that there is still no sign of Kali but very glad to hear that you were able to stop those kids from torturing frogs. It would be great if you were able to do something to help Kali's twin. I found myself in a similar position a few times while I was searching for George. I always thought that if I was able to do something to help an animal in need right there in front of me, someone somewhere would be doing something to help George. Even if you didn't spot Kali you were put in the right place at the right time because of her.

I still haven't seen Spike. I go on long walks every evening calling her name. I stopped leaving the trail camera and kitty buffet out because no matter where I put it the same pale orange tom cat would find it. I've never seen any other animals on camera and even though the forest is full of deer and rabbit there doesn't seem to be anything dangerous around. I hope Spike is just off having a forest adventure somewhere.

Do you have any other lead's to follow? Do you think Kali might be near the trailer park too?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello Bita,

How's it going? Any sign of Kali yet? Her kittens are beautiful, I hope she showed up to wish them a happy birthday.

We've had a lot of heavy rain here over the past few days, which has slowed down my efforts to find Spike. I did find the remains of a bird that looked like it had been killed and eaten by a cat. (Wings still intact, head gone, rib cage picked clean) There are a few other feral cats around so it probably wasn't her's, but it's good to know there is plenty of food in the forest for her.

I hope you get some good news soon. You and Kali are often in my thoughts.

bita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Norachan!

We have had the opposite weather, a horrible dry spell and heat wave. I dont see cats out at all these days til just before dark and right at dawn. I often worry about water and have been leaving random bowls around hoping she or a feral will happen upon it. We have a confirmed 6 ferals we are feeding. Looks like two girls and still the one at the trailer park, a couple kittens and a possible tom as a kitten looks just like it lol. I gotta get some funds so I can t.n.r. these babies. I moved the camera back to the previous address for a few days because  of  a couple  of massive racoons found my feeding station out in the woods and I dont wish to encourage them to stay. And its going, I cant get past the depression of not knowing.I worry about her having to deal with the coons, kids and cat killing dog near by. She is basically all I think about. How are you and the rest of your clowder? I havent found Kali yet. Got a few more leads and found an abandoned house at the end of the street to look around and in and a field near it where some one says they may have seen her. You, Spike, the rest of your colony are in my thoughts often and prayers as well.

Iv been taking advantage of the lower humidity and heat and going around touching everything and leaving out the vacuum dust and batting out the vacuum and air filter to try to make the area smell like us. I hope both of our girls are out there hunting on their own little safari and oblivious to the anguish we feel over them. I wish for them to just come home now.

abby1991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sweet grey Tabby escaped last night :( her name is Abby and is an indoor cat. I've searched for her high and low with no success. I'm terrified. I'm also almost 7 months pregnant and just don't have the stamina to walk around all the time. What do I do??? :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My sweet grey Tabby escaped last night
her name is Abby and is an indoor cat. I've searched for her high and low with no success. I'm terrified. I'm also almost 7 months pregnant and just don't have the stamina to walk around all the time. What do I do???
If Abby is an indoor cat she won't have gone far. Her first instinct will be to find somewhere quiet to hide. She won't come out while there are people and cars about, she'll stay hidden until it's dark and there is no one about.

Get someone to wait with you. The best time to look for her is in the hours between midnight and dawn. You could sit outside your house with her favourite food and either call her name softly, shake the tin or make what ever noise you make to let her know it's dinner time. 

Is there a cat door or a window that you could leave open for her? Use some of her kitty litter to sprinkle trails out from this window in every direction.Cats are really good at smelling their way home.

Are there other cats or wild animals in your neighbourhood? If not, a dish of her favourite food left outside your door or just inside the garage could entice her back.

Scared cats will stay in their hiding place for a couple of days until they get hungry enough to venture out. Just be patient and keep calling her softly at night. There is no need to go far, if she's only been gone for a few hours she's probably still within 100 yards of your house.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

Hi Norachan!

We have had the opposite weather, a horrible dry spell and heat wave. I dont see cats out at all these days til just before dark and right at dawn. I often worry about water and have been leaving random bowls around hoping she or a feral will happen upon it. We have a confirmed 6 ferals we are feeding. Looks like two girls and still the one at the trailer park, a couple kittens and a possible tom as a kitten looks just like it lol. I gotta get some funds so I can t.n.r. these babies. I moved the camera back to the previous address for a few days because  of  a couple  of massive racoons found my feeding station out in the woods and I dont wish to encourage them to stay. And its going, I cant get past the depression of not knowing.I worry about her having to deal with the coons, kids and cat killing dog near by. She is basically all I think about. How are you and the rest of your clowder? I havent found Kali yet. Got a few more leads and found an abandoned house at the end of the street to look around and in and a field near it where some one says they may have seen her. You, Spike, the rest of your colony are in my thoughts often and prayers as well.

Iv been taking advantage of the lower humidity and heat and going around touching everything and leaving out the vacuum dust and batting out the vacuum and air filter to try to make the area smell like us. I hope both of our girls are out there hunting on their own little safari and oblivious to the anguish we feel over them. I wish for them to just come home now.
Hi Bita, Wow, it sounds like you really have your work cut out for you at that trailer park. Are there any groups that do TNR in your area? They'll be able to help you with getting all those cats fixed. Bless you for doing so much to help them.

My colony of 19 are all doing well. Considering I moved house with 20 cats I think only 1 going AWOL is quite good. There are some pictures of the others at their new place here.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/276982/moving-house-taking-the-colony-with-me-any-advice-please

One of the large males, Button, can climb out of the enclosure no matter what I do, but the rest of them all seem very happy where they are.

It's starting to get colder here already. I hope when there is less food around Spike will show up again. I've searched in every direction now, if she is still near by she is choosing to ignore me. I go back to the old place two or three evenings a week. The neighbour who feeds the rest of the colony is keeping an eye out for her, but she hasn't shown up yet. Going back there gives me a chance to see the other cats I used to feed. They're all looking very plump and glossy, but I feel a pang every time I see them. I have to remind myself that the reason I left them behind is because they didn't get on with the cats I brought with me. The colony formed itself in to two distinct groups, one fed by me and one fed by the neighbour, and they used to fight if any of them strayed across the "border" between our two back yards. At least I managed to get them all fixed and three of the nine cats I left behind were living there long before I showed up. I guess they'll be fine without me.

Lots of love and vibes for Kali, hopefully you'll get some good news soon.

abby1991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to let you all know that Miss Abby is home safe, and not injured. She was hiding in the trees/bushes right by our apartment. It is a very steep area and there is a creek running through it. We had a hard time trying to get her to come to us, but she eventually came to her mommy once the kitty treats were shaken for a while. She growled at me when I picked her up - I'm not sure that she knew it was her mommy right away. By the grace of God she is home now, and safe. She is right now enjoying some kitty food and cool water :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

I just wanted to let you all know that Miss Abby is home safe, and not injured. She was hiding in the trees/bushes right by our apartment. It is a very steep area and there is a creek running through it. We had a hard time trying to get her to come to us, but she eventually came to her mommy once the kitty treats were shaken for a while. She growled at me when I picked her up - I'm not sure that she knew it was her mommy right away. By the grace of God she is home now, and safe. She is right now enjoying some kitty food and cool water :) 
Oh, that's great news. 

I hope she enjoyed her little adventure and won't try and get out again.

queenof3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Abby is so pretty! Im so happy for your happy ending!

I have a 5 month old kitten that i rescued off the street about a month ago in terrible shape. Since he's lived outside for quite sometime, and perhaps even enjoyed it, he tries to escape every time someone opens the front door. He has managed to escape a few times but each time we were able to grab him before he got too far. Ive used spray bottle to deter him from coming near thr door. Sometimes he takes no interest when the door opens but at other times, he zooms out. It's hard to keep up. Im scared for him as i dont live in a quiet area. There is plenty of traffic on the street in front of my house. Im hoping he'll grow out of it in time? I have another cat, baby, who used to do the same as a kitten. She's now 10 and her interest in outdoors is still there. Im usually able to catch up to her by the time she has gotten down the stairs. My other two cats do not give me any grief about running away :)
Yea, so im very scared and dont know how to handle this situation. Im even more terrified after reading the accounts on this thread :( When i leave my house, i have to lock up my two 5 month old kittens in my room. I have other ppl in the house but i cant rely on them to keep close eye on them. Im never gone for too long and my sister and i share responsibilities of the four cats we own so it works out fine.

If anyone has any advice for me, please chime in.

Best of luck to all of you in finding your babies. I know the feeling. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Abby is so pretty! Im so happy for your happy ending!

I have a 5 month old kitten that i rescued off the street about a month ago in terrible shape. Since he's lived outside for quite sometime, and perhaps even enjoyed it, he tries to escape every time someone opens the front door. He has managed to escape a few times but each time we were able to grab him before he got too far. Ive used spray bottle to deter him from coming near thr door. Sometimes he takes no interest when the door opens but at other times, he zooms out. It's hard to keep up. Im scared for him as i dont live in a quiet area. There is plenty of traffic on the street in front of my house. Im hoping he'll grow out of it in time? I have another cat, baby, who used to do the same as a kitten. She's now 10 and her interest in outdoors is still there. Im usually able to catch up to her by the time she has gotten down the stairs. My other two cats do not give me any grief about running away

Yea, so im very scared and dont know how to handle this situation. Im even more terrified after reading the accounts on this thread
When i leave my house, i have to lock up my two 5 month old kittens in my room. I have other ppl in the house but i cant rely on them to keep close eye on them. Im never gone for too long and my sister and i share responsibilities of the four cats we own so it works out fine.

If anyone has any advice for me, please chime in.

Best of luck to all of you in finding your babies. I know the feeling. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers!
First off, are the cats spayed/neutered?  The desire to get outside if the cat is not spayed or neutered is so high.  The hormones take over and the cat needs to find a mate. 

If the cat is spayed/neutered then I would keep a gate in front of the door.  We used a large chair cushion to place in front of us when we came inside the door to gently push the cat back.  I brought a 3 year old feral into the house last year.  At first he showed quite a bit of interest in the door.  The chair pad frightened him a bit and he began to stay away from the door.  We just used it as a shield to block the door as we went in and out. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Baby gates work really well. It gives the cat an extra obstacle to get past in their rush out the door.

Or you could try one of those air-sprays that send out a burst of air when they sense anything coming close. You'd have to warn the other people you live with though, it could give them a bit of a shock. 

bita

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi Bita, Wow, it sounds like you really have your work cut out for you at that trailer park. Are there any groups that do TNR in your area? They'll be able to help you with getting all those cats fixed. Bless you for doing so much to help them.

My colony of 19 are all doing well. Considering I moved house with 20 cats I think only 1 going AWOL is quite good. There are some pictures of the others at their new place here.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/276982/moving-house-taking-the-colony-with-me-any-advice-please

One of the large males, Button, can climb out of the enclosure no matter what I do, but the rest of them all seem very happy where they are.

It's starting to get colder here already. I hope when there is less food around Spike will show up again. I've searched in every direction now, if she is still near by she is choosing to ignore me. I go back to the old place two or three evenings a week. The neighbour who feeds the rest of the colony is keeping an eye out for her, but she hasn't shown up yet. Going back there gives me a chance to see the other cats I used to feed. They're all looking very plump and glossy, but I feel a pang every time I see them. I have to remind myself that the reason I left them behind is because they didn't get on with the cats I brought with me. The colony formed itself in to two distinct groups, one fed by me and one fed by the neighbour, and they used to fight if any of them strayed across the "border" between our two back yards. At least I managed to get them all fixed and three of the nine cats I left behind were living there long before I showed up. I guess they'll be fine without me.

Lots of love and vibes for Kali, hopefully you'll get some good news soon.

The catitate you have provided for your fuzzy ones is amazing, absolutely gorgeous and inspired. I love the picture of the "walk of shame" you can see the others sitting there going.....ohhhhhhhh busted lol. What a cool area you have and an amazing way to keep the safe. Its absolutely fantastic that your neighbor is caring for the rest of the colony that choose its sides.

Im currently trying to find a tnr group and til then we just protect our mini colony lol. and if there is a will a cat will find a way thats for sure. I hope that mr Buttons stays safe during his adventures. And that is quite a feet to have 19 out of 20 accounted for good for you. really thats amazing. Im thinking the same about the food going scarse as it gets colder. If we dont find our girls before then Im hoping thatll drive em back into loving arms. I have a session scheduled with an animal communicator in hopes that we can maybe make a connection. Im desperate to try anything and thankfully I found one that understands my financial situation and is only charging me 1 buck for a 30 minute session. I appreciate the vibes and love and send my own to you and yours.

queenof3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Baby, who is 10, is fixed. She's shy and skittish. It surprises me that she wants to go outside. She's not even the main problem as she does this very rarely. Only one of the kittens is the real challenge, and I think it's because he spent considerable time outside. They both will be fixed soon.

@Norachan, air-spray sounds good. I think I'll try it. Currently, the only precaution we're using is opening the door tiny bit and then peeping inside to confirm cost is clear, lol. Since I live on the second floor of the house, there are three doors the cats have to go through to get outside. I keep the door under the stairs closed at all times so if they escape, I can quickly run down and grab them. Not everyone is careful and I'm not always home so i do want to try different things to deter him.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

I had not looked at this thread before and I was not going to look at 20 pages of comments. Norachan, did you ever find George?
No, never found any trace of him at all. Post 365, on page 13, was the one I posted one year after he disappeared. I resigned myself to the fact that I'd never see him again on that day.

queenof3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@NoraChan, i feel sad just reading your ordeal, and everyone else's. it must be so emotionally taxing, the whole process of losing, searching, then mourning if they dont show up. I love my stray cats, it's just two of them--male is fixed and the female was abandoned by her previous owners. I get worried and start looking around when they dont show up for long hours, especially after bad weather.
You're a great mommy and im sure you take care of him and made him feel loved!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

The catitate you have provided for your fuzzy ones is amazing, absolutely gorgeous and inspired. I love the picture of the "walk of shame" you can see the others sitting there going.....ohhhhhhhh busted lol. What a cool area you have and an amazing way to keep the safe. Its absolutely fantastic that your neighbor is caring for the rest of the colony that choose its sides.

Im currently trying to find a tnr group and til then we just protect our mini colony lol. and if there is a will a cat will find a way thats for sure. I hope that mr Buttons stays safe during his adventures. And that is quite a feet to have 19 out of 20 accounted for good for you. really thats amazing. Im thinking the same about the food going scarse as it gets colder. If we dont find our girls before then Im hoping thatll drive em back into loving arms. I have a session scheduled with an animal communicator in hopes that we can maybe make a connection. Im desperate to try anything and thankfully I found one that understands my financial situation and is only charging me 1 buck for a 30 minute session. I appreciate the vibes and love and send my own to you and yours.
Thanks Bita,

We'd been saving up to buy a house for a few years and were really lucky to find this place. We've always wanted to live in the country and as our colony grew we realised that a smaller house with a big yard would be the best way to take care of them.

Button's daily escapades worry me, even though there is no traffic and hardly any other people around here. He's George's half brother, born about a week after George disappeared. They really look alike, they are both big, solid cats with huge paws and cute little round faces. They've even got similar personalities, very loving but so stubborn. He reminds me so much of George when he stalks off with his tail in the air

"....and don't you even try to stop me!"

Good luck with the animal communicator, I hope you get some useful leads.