Should I Still Be Hoping My Missing Cat Will Come Home?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It certainly looks similar just skinnier.  Yet that would be expected since he has been outside on his own for awhile.  Is this the location by your home?  Maybe tomorrow you can be outside at this time and see if the cat comes again.

I so hope this is your Daizu. 

I do know the trail cameras and the surveillance cameras distort the image a bit.  I have a feral I am feeding right now who will only eat under my deck.  I have only caught a handful of glimpses of him.  Yet I do have a camera pointed under there so I know when he comes and I can check on him.  The few times I have seen him with my own eyes, he does look a bit different.  So don't feel badly that you can't positively id Daizu. 

It seems you may have a great lead here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it really looks like Daizu! I hope it is him.

The darkened nose could be from dirt, or it could be just the light.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your boy.

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Got a good color video taken at 6am, it IS Daizu! He went for the crab meat snack first! He was also sitting on the deck of a bigger house on the end of the road, 3 houses down from where I put the food. The problem is he runs away from people including me. He is like that at home too. I told the little girl of that house with a deck not to chase after him, I hope she doesn't.

Now I need to set a trap right? Really doubt that he is going to get in right away. And last night another cat was eating the food for a bit too. But Daizu ate most of it at different times. I put the trap out but it is disabled, between two houses. He sometimes passes there. I know I need to proceed with caution and be really patient, spending a few days if not weeks. I just am glad he is alive.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not give up hope.
I read of a cat that came home after 13 years. It's unusual but means never give up hope.
:vibes:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so happy for you.  I hope you are able to trap him soon.  You might want to line the bottom of the trap with a shirt of yours that smells like you.  Put his special crab snack inside.  Place a small amount at the entrance and the then a bit more until a decent piece is in the way back.  I hope you have him back safe and soon very soon!!!!!

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. Got a good color video taken at 6am, it IS Daizu! He went for the crab meat snack first! He was also sitting on the deck of a bigger house on the end of the road, 3 houses down from where I put the food. The problem is he runs away from people including me. He is like that at home too. I told the little girl of that house with a deck not to chase after him, I hope she doesn't.

Now I need to set a trap right? Really doubt that he is going to get in right away. And last night another cat was eating the food for a bit too. But Daizu ate most of it at different times. I put the trap out but it is disabled, between two houses. He sometimes passes there. I know I need to proceed with caution and be really patient, spending a few days if not weeks. I just am glad he is alive.
Have you tried to call him? did he react to you? If you know for sure now  its him, now put the trap out with the food in it. Don't set the trap, tie it back so it doesn't go off, so he can go inside to get his food. You need to do this for a couple of days and also put the camera up too, so you know he is definitely coming there and what time. Cover the  trap with something, a sheet or something.  Maybe something that is familiar to him. Something he slept on.  If he is hungry it won't take long to get him in. When you find out what time he is coming that is when I would set the trap, maybe an hour before he comes. After you set it you have to go look often to see if he is in there. He can't be left in a cage for to long of a time, cats freak out when trapped. Make sure you have the right cat first. If you end up trapping the wrong cat just be very careful when leaving the other one go, so he doesn't scratch you. This happened to me, I caught the wrong cat. Just open the trap and he will probably fly out of there. If its Daizu  leave the cover over the trap and just take him home. Open the trap and just leave him alone when you get inside. Let him get familiar with his surrounding and smells, so let him come out when he feels safe. Hopefully all the neighbors are willing to help you catch him. Good luck!! I hope next time I hear anything it is good news

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's wonderful!!!!

I'm so glad to hear that you caught a glimpse of him. Yes, I think trapping him is the best way but take your time about it. Let him get comfortable with coming into the trap to eat first of all before you set it. As buffy2011 said, covering the trap is a good idea. How about a sheet you've been sleeping on? You can also get those Feliway sprays and spray that on what ever you are going to cover the trap with to help keep him calm.

So happy for you.

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Norachan, thank you so much. Last night, I moved the feeding station to the side of the building so it isn't by the road. And the disabled trap is there as well. I put his favorite snack and a bit of wet food near but not next to the trap, and he was caught on camera 10min after I walked away! i have covered the trap with a towel they used before with a note saying I am trapping my own cat. It is disabled for now. So I will put the food closer to the door of the trap tonight. Just for experiment I put 3 to 5 pieces of dried kibbles in the trap and set the camera just now. This is the first time I leave the camera during the day, I hope it is ok. I took the morning off only today. So I hope it won't get stolen.

I also recorded the times he came to eat, so after a few days I will know the best time to set the trap. i usually set the food at 7 or 8, I replenish the food once at 10:30 for the last two nights so I think I will set the trap at around 6pm, an hour before the first time I place the food. There is another black and white cat that has been coming at 2 am. I hope I don't catch him/her instead.

Am i doing this right? My plan is for 3 days, I will move the food closer and closer to the back of the trap. When he eats in the cage with no problem, I will withhold food for a day, and set itthe next day. So the soonest to have him trapped is 5 days later. Is this too long? I am biting my nails off for this, figuratively.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Norachan, thank you so much. Last night, I moved the feeding station to the side of the building so it isn't by the road. And the disabled trap is there as well. I put his favorite snack and a bit of wet food near but not next to the trap, and he was caught on camera 10min after I walked away! i have covered the trap with a towel they used before with a note saying I am trapping my own cat. It is disabled for now. So I will put the food closer to the door of the trap tonight. Just for experiment I put 3 to 5 pieces of dried kibbles in the trap and set the camera just now. This is the first time I leave the camera during the day, I hope it is ok. I took the morning off only today. So I hope it won't get stolen.

I also recorded the times he came to eat, so after a few days I will know the best time to set the trap. i usually set the food at 7 or 8, I replenish the food once at 10:30 for the last two nights so I think I will set the trap at around 6pm, an hour before the first time I place the food. There is another black and white cat that has been coming at 2 am. I hope I don't catch him/her instead.

Am i doing this right? My plan is for 3 days, I will move the food closer and closer to the back of the trap. When he eats in the cage with no problem, I will withhold food for a day, and set itthe next day. So the soonest to have him trapped is 5 days later. Is this too long? I am biting my nails off for this, figuratively.
Place the food in the trap now, all the way to the back so he is use to going in there to eat. Then watch him on camera and see what time he comes. If he seems to be going in there with no problem within a day or so I would set the trap. If he is going in the trap there is no reason to withhold food. I myself would be leery about that because he might go off looking for food elsewhere.  Make sure it is working because it will be harder the next time if you don't catch him.  I don't know what kind of area you live in but watch your camera because they are pretty expensive.  I would only set the trap the day you can go look every 10 to 15 minutes. I don't know if you can see the trap from close by without running up to the trap every time. You can tell the door is down, and that should mean you got something.  When you go up to it if you got him, cover the trap completely and carry him home. If its dark take a flashlight and just shine it in the cage to make sure it is him, if not be careful and let that one out. Then re set it.  This is the way I would do it. I have to catch a feral cat within the next few weeks myself. Good Luck

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think putting the food near the back to start with is a good idea too. Did you say his favourite snacks are those CIAO crab meat snacks. Try drizzling a bit of the juice from the packet just inside the trap and then place the snack at the back. Sometimes a little trail of something delicious lures them in before they realise what's happening.

I'm biting my nails for you too. I hope everything goes well, we'll be thinking of you.

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Buffy2011, Norachan

Thank you for your tips. I will definitely do that. It has been pouring down here since 2 hours ago, before I got home. So I quickly took the trap back to my house and checked the camera. The few kibbles I put in the trap this morning were gone, though I didn't catch anything on the camera because of the angle, the newspaper was blocking the camera lens… Well, I think at least a cat got in to get the kibbles during the day. The camera was safe too.

As soon as it stops raining tonight, perhaps 2 to 3 hours later as per the forecast, I will put the trap back out with wet food in it. The thundering was horrible just now, and I hope he wasn't spooked too much. Ponta was hiding in the closet when I got home soaking wet.

Norachan, the crab snack is by Petio, in strip form. So there is no juice. But I can get the juice from the wet food. If he comes out tonight, he would be hungry because dinner is delayed for a few hours. I just hope he would come out.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sending you the best vibes that Daizu will come home to you very soon.  Rain Rain go away!!  You are in my thoughts.

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh Thank you so much ShadowRescue, the rain has stopped for a bit now but the camera is broken!!!!! The heavy rain must have done something to it. It won't work. So I just put the food in the disabled trap for now and will go back to check later. I guess, the camera won't do much for the trapping anyway, since I can't see it unless I go get it. I hope I can trap him tomorrow night if the food in the trap is gone tonight.  

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh Thank you so much ShadowRescue, the rain has stopped for a bit now but the camera is broken!!!!! The heavy rain must have done something to it. It won't work. So I just put the food in the disabled trap for now and will go back to check later. I guess, the camera won't do much for the trapping anyway, since I can't see it unless I go get it. I hope I can trap him tomorrow night if the food in the trap is gone tonight.  
The camera may need to dry out.  If you bring it in for a bit it may work after drying out.  Make sure the batteries didn't come loose either. 

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ShadowsRescue

You are right, I actually unscrewed the back and used a q-tip to absorbed the water inside. And it works. But what happened just now, was when I opened the front door to set the camera, Daizu was at the front door, and he walked away as soon as he heard me opening the door. He was walking towards the opposite direction from the feeding station. I am worried he is going away. I put some dried food and his snack back in the cage because he ate the wet food while the camera was being fixed. I think he ate it, not the other cat. 

I followed him as he turned the corner, but he is gone. Oh, my heart is sinking fast. I am worried. Maybe I should just set the trap tonight. Should I do that? 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nekomaui, he was at your front door, that's a great sign!

It means he is still in the area, he remembers where he lives and, most importantly, he's OK.

I know this must be really nerve wracking for you, so close and yet so far away, but don't worry. You're almost there.

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Norachan,

I am not sure if I should set the trap because the black and white cat always comes late to eat the food. I don't want to trap him/her instead. And I am sure if I set the food for the first time at night, Daizu would eat it. I think I have set the trap at the entrance of his den. And I just have a feeling that he thinks his location is being intruded and needs to find a new place. Or is it really like you said that he remember this being his home???? I am not sure what to do, and haven't set the trap. I only put some dried food and his snack back in the disabled cage. This time with the camera though. My original plan was to set the trap tomorrow night at the first feeding. 

AHHHHHH, so many twists and never happening the way  I have imagined. Should I stick to my original plan?

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Norachan,

I am not sure if I should set the trap because the black and white cat always comes late to eat the food. I don't want to trap him/her instead. And I am sure if I set the food for the first time at night, Daizu would eat it. I think I have set the trap at the entrance of his den. And I just have a feeling that he thinks his location is being intruded and needs to find a new place. Or is it really like you said that he remember this being his home???? I am not sure what to do, and haven't set the trap. I only put some dried food and his snack back in the disabled cage. This time with the camera though. My original plan was to set the trap tomorrow night at the first feeding. 

AHHHHHH, so many twists and never happening the way  I have imagined. Should I stick to my original plan?
How far away is the trap from your house? Do you have a porch or someplace to set the trap or camera on? Feed him from the back of the cage right away because you have to get him use to eating out of that trap.  If he isn't use to it and you try to catch him and miss it is going to be very had to catch him. I would put the trap out  and put some food in it, then maybe set some food on your porch and put the camera up by your house to see if he is coming closer. I would give it a few days to be sure unless you feel you can catch him. Put the trap back where you have been feeding him because he knows there is food there already. I rigged a styro foam box that I sit my camera in so it doesn't get to much rain. Not much wider then the camera.  Then I bent a piece of metal starting under neath the camera and up over the back then over the top. I have it long on the top to keep the rain away from the lense. I put this metal piece in the styro foam box and this all fits tight then I brace it up somewhere. My lenses were always blurry from the rain. Always make sure your camera is closed and it will be sealed tight. Even a rubber maid container and strap it in. I wonder if your door was open he would of walked right in?  He probably remembers his home but he got scared away from it with that other cat. Was Ponta and Daizu pretty close? If so maybe  leave something that he was laying on outside your door. Just some suggestions. 

nekomaui

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
buffy2011

Thanks for your reply, I really need someone to bounce off ideas with. The feeding place is 50 steps from my front door so 30m? 100feet?    I just saw him an hour ago when I went to retrieve the camera. Then he escaped back to where he has been hiding presumably. Then the dried food was almost untouched as he never really liked it anyway. But on the camera, I got the black white cat eating the 1st round of kibbles. Then at 6 am this morning, Daizu went inside to get the crab snack leftover I put on the step trigger plate. He took it out of the cage to eat it. I really regret that I didn't have the first feeding on camera, so I can't be sure who ate the wet food and crab snack at the back of the cage. 

I have put a few pieces of crab snack at the back of the cage just now and have the camera on. It is going to be very hot during the day like 35 celcius. So he may be hiding till dusk. My neighborhood is pretty safe so the camera should be good. I told my neighbors that I am setting a live trap tonight. So that they know. I wanted to do it tonight, because the tom cat who had been away is back. I heard 2 rounds of fights at 2:30 or so and 3:30 or so. I think I need to get Daizu inside soon. If I see him staying in the trap eating the crab snack during the day, then definitely I feel he is more comfortable eating at the same place and not my house. 

I will try to custom make some protective parts for future. Thanks for the good tips. Ponta and Daizu were quite close, as they grew up together. I really doubt that Daizu would walk right in. He used to run away from me inside the house when I wasn't even thinking about going towards him. Then again, when he wanted to play, or attention, he would sit on the table where I was working at and stay with me, or sit right in front of the TV. I put a towel that they used on the cage but it has been washed. I have another bed sheet that I haven't washed yet, so I will use that tonight.  Or should I wait another night?