Should I Still Be Hoping My Missing Cat Will Come Home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's good that the real Patches is hanging around more but such a shame that he doesn't get on well with the other two. Were they every friends or have they always been aggressive towards each other?

You certainly have a lot of interesting wildlife in your area. I know there are bears, monkey, raccoons and wild boar in the forest around here, but fortunately they stay put and rarely venture into town.

Roxie, how is Toby after his adventure? Is his tail still swollen?

Lizzie is fine, she hasn't left the house since she got back but there is still so much snow around that I think she's better off indoors.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's good that the real Patches is hanging around more but such a shame that he doesn't get on well with the other two. Were they every friends or have they always been aggressive towards each other?
He came again last night.  I decided that I would clear a spot just under the deck for him and place some food there along with one of my cameras so I could be sure who was eating the food.  I set the food out around 6:30pm and he came at 8pm.  He gobbled up all the food and then left.  Probably his first good meal in awhile.  I will continue to do this each night and see about gradually moving the food onto the deck.

Shadow and Patches used to be buddies.  They spent two full winters together snuggling and hanging out.  They did not play like Shadow and Stellar, but they were buddies.  Shadow was crushed each time Patches left.  He couldn't understand it.  I wonder if he is mad.  Neither Shadow nor Stellar nor Patches are aggressive.  All are scaredy cats.  Yet, Shadow and Stellar are very protective of each other.  Patches left last year in March and Stellar came in June.  Shadow has not seen Patches in 11 months.  All 3 are leery of each other, but I think they will work it out.  I talk with my Animal communicator on Friday.  It is mostly to be about my dog, but I will work in some time for Patches and the other cats too. 

Glad to know that Lizzie is doing well.  How long will it be before all of that snow melts?

I hope Toby is ok.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor Patches. 

At least he got a good meal. I hope he keeps coming back for more.

Maybe the three of them will work it out when they get used to each other. All three are neutered so they won't have any real reason to fight.

There are a few intact tom cats around here that I haven't been able to TNR yet. (The snow put my schedule back by about a month, I was managing one cat every two weeks before this.) They seem to have agreed on a time share, one shows up early morning, one comes to eat mid-afternoon and the third only arrives after dark. I wonder if they are deliberately trying to avoid fights by getting fed when they know the other two won't be around?

I hope the snow melts soon. The roads are mainly clear now, we had our first rubbish collection for over two weeks this morning.  
(Strange how happy I am about that.)

There is still about 50 cm of snow in places that didn't get cleared. It's just too cold for it to melt.

I hope it all goes well with your poor dog.

Last edited:

rodentsncats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going through the same thing with Princess my longhaired tuxedo yellow eyed bobtail who has been missing for 7 months and I miss her I live in Alabama and I used to cry myself to sleep because of her..she used to nurse on my ears and was absolutely skitzo but I loved her with all my heart ..and for someone who just got back from a stressful one year move to Virginia (my parents were never home ,my sister was on pot and regularly tried to kill me..but that's enough with that) when we moved back to Alabama I attached myself to the nearest thing a little bobtail kitten,Princess.We bonded more than I though possible and I know that bond will never happens again...my parents gave up the search after they got me sage (my now pregnant 9 month old bobtailed cat),but I have not i have not stopped I will never ...I wake up crying and my dreams are filled with her home coming but I just don't know anymore;but has anyone seen her,she's spayed.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Princess, she's a beautiful girl. I'd like to be able to tell you it gets easier but to be honest I still can't look at a photo of George without crying. It's the not knowing that makes it so hard. You don't know whether to grieve or keep hoping and it's so hard to move on.

What did you do to find Princess when she first went missing? Cats can turn up months after they first disappear, so keep checking the shelters. You never know, she might turn up. I think Craig's List also has a lost pet list, did you check there? Also Yahoo have something called Lost Cat Assistance, they can give you advice and maybe put you in touch with others in your area who are going through the same thing.

Good luck, I really hope you find her.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about Princess.  But as Norachan said, you just never never know.  Patches was gone almost 11 months.  Definitely check Craigs List, post fliers everywhere, go door to door with fliers, take fliers to the vets in your areas. 

Keep hoping!

rodentsncats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know..but I'm losing the battle..that makes me feel better.I hope she comes home ....please keep a look out she could be anywhere.

rodentsncats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tryed everywhere....but so many cats look so similar...it gives me hope than I take another look and it only makes me feel worse.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cat believed to be Patches came early last night.  He had over 2 cans of food.  I was able to sit on the deck, while he was just under the step and talk to him.  He did not run off.  My hope is that he will get brave enough to come up onto the deck with me out there.  Of course we are in the middle of another bitter cold snap.  It was 13 last night and will be single digits tonight and the next few nights.  I am just so happy he is eating and remembers that I am here.  I have my animal communication session on Friday and hope to find out a bit more from him.

LuvNickles, any word on t he cat you were trying to trap over the weekend? 

luvnickles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LuvNickles, any word on t he cat you were trying to trap over the weekend? 
ShadowsRescue,

I think it was a false alarm.  I put the trail cam out at the house and only caught two cats hanging around.   One with a collar.  I think they are both neighborhood cats one of which I must has startled and he took shelter under the house for the moment.  I don't think anyone is actually living under there.  I am keeping the camera out there for a bit to be sure and will block the entrance as soon as I am sure I am not trapping anyone in there.

Now time to turn my attention back to the creek.  There are new cats out there.  Where DO they come from???  One lovely white beauty who is rather large.  We have tried to trap him/her but she is savvy and won't go near the bait until we give up.  I am worried that she is pregnant.  I fed last night and found her curled in the bushes and she was completely oblivious until I got within 6 feet or so.  I really startled her even though I was talking to her all the time I was walking nearer.  Once she jumped up I noticed her belly...it really is huge, almost dragging on the ground.  I am hoping she is just a fatty and not pregnant.  It will rain all the rest of the week and we won't be trying to trap.  I would hate for kittens to be born in this weather!

I had my first long dream about Kuzon two nights ago.  I wanted  to know if he was alive or dead and asked for a message before bedtime.  i do that a lot, but this time, i got a dream.  In the dream, I was going to go outside to look for him and all i did was open the door and he was down at the bottom of a flight of stairs curled up with a couple of other cats...i think ours.  I was so excited i closed the door so as not to startle him away and then went out again slowly.  As soon as I approached, he jumped up and started to wander off.  he didn't want to be caught.  It was sooo like him.  but I was able to pick him up anyway and bring him back into the house....my grandmother's house for some reason.  I put him in one of the bedrooms and kept checking on him. He was curled up on the bed like normal and i knew he was home for good.  Oh I didn't want to wake up from that dream!!!  Such a tease?!?!?!?!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad it was a false alarm on the cats at the house.  Hopefully they are just neighbors cats.

I hope the new white kitty isn't pregnant.  Good luck with trapping!!

I used to have very vivid dreams about Patches just as you described.  It was always after I too had asked for a sign.  When I woke up, I was so sad it was just a dream.  I hoped it had meant that he was alive and was telling me of what to look for with him in the future.  I hope that your dream will help to carry you onward with lots of hope and faith that Kuzon is still alive and well.  Keep asking him to come to you in your dreams. 

I think of George and Kuzon each and every day.  I just keep waiting to hear the good news that both are home safe and sound.

I realize with Patches that I will have to be content with knowing that he is alive, but also knowing he doesn't want much to do with me.  He must be near starving to have broken down and come to me to eat.  Last night I caught him on the cameras around 4 in the morning as well.  He wanted in the shelter.  Only Shadow was there, but he seemed unsure and was not inviting for Patches to stay. I have no idea what is going on there.  So this morning, I had an extra rubbermaid container that has a heat pad in it and I placed it under the deck near where he is eating.  It is to be single digits tonight with wind chills of -15.  I am trying my best to send him messages that I have a bed for him too. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

ShadowsRescue,

I think it was a false alarm.  I put the trail cam out at the house and only caught two cats hanging around.   One with a collar.  I think they are both neighborhood cats one of which I must has startled and he took shelter under the house for the moment.  I don't think anyone is actually living under there.  I am keeping the camera out there for a bit to be sure and will block the entrance as soon as I am sure I am not trapping anyone in there.

That's good news. I hope there aren't any cats living under that house.

Now time to turn my attention back to the creek.  There are new cats out there.  Where DO they come from???  One lovely white beauty who is rather large.  We have tried to trap him/her but she is savvy and won't go near the bait until we give up.  I am worried that she is pregnant.  I fed last night and found her curled in the bushes and she was completely oblivious until I got within 6 feet or so.  I really startled her even though I was talking to her all the time I was walking nearer.  Once she jumped up I noticed her belly...it really is huge, almost dragging on the ground.  I am hoping she is just a fatty and not pregnant.  It will rain all the rest of the week and we won't be trying to trap.  I would hate for kittens to be born in this weather!

A belly dragging on the ground sounds more like a fat cat, doesn't it? All the pregnant cats I've seen look more spherical, like they've swallowed a melon. Good luck with the trapping, if she's a lost or abandoned cat she's probably going to be quite happy about being brought in from the cold.

I had my first long dream about Kuzon two nights ago.  I wanted  to know if he was alive or dead and asked for a message before bedtime.  i do that a lot, but this time, i got a dream.  In the dream, I was going to go outside to look for him and all i did was open the door and he was down at the bottom of a flight of stairs curled up with a couple of other cats...i think ours.  I was so excited i closed the door so as not to startle him away and then went out again slowly.  As soon as I approached, he jumped up and started to wander off.  he didn't want to be caught.  It was sooo like him.  but I was able to pick him up anyway and bring him back into the house....my grandmother's house for some reason.  I put him in one of the bedrooms and kept checking on him. He was curled up on the bed like normal and i knew he was home for good.  Oh I didn't want to wake up from that dream!!!  Such a tease?!?!?!?!

I've had dreams like that too. Actually in the whole time that George has been missing I've only dreamt about him three times. Each time he's been alive and he's been back home. I hope that's a good omen for George and for Kuzon. 

I had a call from a lady who lives about ten miles from here this morning. She's been feeding a big tabby and white cat that comes around every evening for the past few days. She say's he is very vocal, which doesn't really sound like George, but you never know. I'm going over there with my trail cam and a weekend's supply of food this evening to see if I can get a look at him.

ShadowsRescue, I think a separate shelter for Patches is a good idea. The shelter I have is big enough for three cats to curl up in. If the dominant female gets there first she has it to herself, but if the two smaller ones are there before her she'll happily squeeze in with them. They won't get in if she is there before them, though.

Cat politics, it's a mystery to me.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am crossing all my fingers and toes that this cat is George!! Please keep us posted.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It wasn't George. 

It did look a bit like him, but this cat had a long, straight tail and still had all of his boy bits.

Oh well, at least there is one more cat that has found a nice old lady to feed him. She says he's been hanging around her place since the summer and she's letting him sleep in her barn. And it's good to know that people are still taking notice of the posters I've put up.

Just got to keep looking, I guess.

roxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Norachan, I'm so sorry it wasn't George. I was reading the posts, getting caught up, when I saw the one about the cat that might be George. I was so hoping I would see the words "It's him"! Don't give up! I don't know where these cats go when they disappear. I had to laugh about the "cat politics". That is so true! When I go to bed at night, I usually have at least two cats crowding me out. If Rascal gets up there first, neither Jasmine or Sissy will get up there. If they get there first and he shows up, they'll stay. It makes no sense.
I would lose my mind with all that snow! I'm sure it was a good feeling to get the trash hauled off after waiting for two weeks.
Toby is doing okay now. His tail was swollen for a couple of days, but it finally went down. I was afraid he was going to have an abscess. He's supposed to get neutered on the 10th of this month. That was the earliest opening they had at my vet. It's good that so many people are getting their pets fixed, but there's still a lot out there that aren't. He's the last one out of my seven cats. After him they will all be spayed and neutered!
ShadowsRescue, I'm glad Patches is still showing up regularly. At least he's letting you get closer to him. It may just take a little time for Stellar, Shadow and Patches to get reacquainted. I still say a prayer for George, Patches and Kuzon everyday.
I don't know if I mentioned it before, but my cat Bubba has been using the commode sometimes to go pee! I'm trying to video it, but I've only saw him do it a couple of times. By the time I get my phone or camera he's gone. Guess he's not as slow as I thought! Hope you all stay warm and all the kitties do too.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It wasn't George. :disa:

Just got to keep looking, I guess.
I am so sorry about it not being George and your hope crashing down that way. :sniffle: I still check in here from time to time in the hopes of that good news on George. So hard on the heart.... hang in there, hun. Glad that you have so many nice friends here on TCS tagging along on this thread and that must help you so much. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: And, yes, don't give up - keep you chin up and eyes open. ;) :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was so hoping it was George and he was back safe and sound.  Yet, people are answering the fliers.  There are good people out there and it only takes one person to find him!!  There is still hope.  Spring will arrive soon ( I hope) and with the melting snow and warming air, a fresh rebirth will occur.  A new awakening and fresh start on life. 

We had more snow this weekend, but not as much as predicted.  Patches didn't make it before the snow so I figured I wouldn't see him for a few days.  But last night at 6pm while it was still light outside, he appeared!!!  He wouldn't come out onto the deck, but I was able to get some pictures of him from the camera.  He ate for awhile and then came back again later and again over night.  He even went into the shelter while Shadow was there and jumped up for a bit.  He is definitely making his way back to me.  I hope later this week when the temps rebound out of the single digits that I can get out and sit on the deck and see if he will come out to see me.  I know that once the warmer air comes and there are more birds, mice and rodents, he will once again disappear.  But he is alive and knows that I am his home when he needs it.

I thank you all for all of your support.This is one of the few places where people truly understand missing cats and ferals and why I care so much.    I send prayers each day for George and Kuzon. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Norachan, I'm so sorry it wasn't George. I was reading the posts, getting caught up, when I saw the one about the cat that might be George. I was so hoping I would see the words "It's him"! Don't give up! 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry about it not being George and your hope crashing down that way.
I still check in here from time to time in the hopes of that good news on George. So hard on the heart.... hang in there, hun. Glad that you have so many nice friends here on TCS tagging along on this thread and that must help you so much.
And, yes, don't give up - keep you chin up and eyes open.
Thank you Feralvr,

Even though it wasn't him, it's reassuring to know that there are a lot of people out there feeding strays. This lady had five stray cats that live in her barn and garden and the boy cat that looks like George must have been getting food from somewhere before he found his way to her place. So that means George might be out there being fed by someone.

And yes, it's great to have so much support from TCS.