Should I get a second cat?

ameise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, again!

I haven't been on in a while, but Blitz is doing well:

He's calmed down a lot since and has become a good albeit feisty housecat.

However, we noticed when we are not home (my girlfriend and I both work retail), he is miserable. He howls/cries when we are gone and is VERY needy -- if he even walks out of the room we are in, he immediately cries until we say 'what', then he runs back.

We talked to the breeder, and she lowered the price of the remaining kittens from $550 to $300 with $100 deposits... she said that there are three, and one is a runt. The female of the non-runts is calm and cuddly, and the male is calmer than Blitz but similar.

Should we get another kitten (they should all be about 8 months old) to accompany Blitz and us, or should we look at a different route?

BTW, can't do shelter cats unless they are Siamese -- GF is allergic to non-Oriental breeds.

cleverkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Personally, I've found that cats seem to be better adjusted and less prone to boredom and loneliness when they have a feline companion in addition to their human friends! You just have to take it slow when introducing a new cat into a situation where there is an established feline resident.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Active breeds usually do better with friends, so I'd get another one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The breeder said that he will recognize his siblings immediately (despite not having seen them since he was tiny)... I remember reading that they will not remember them at all from that long ago... will they be compatible? He is rather dominating and needy.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just take it slow. They get used to each other through smell. Keep them apart for awhile. Trade smells with a towel from each cat. They may hiss at each other through the door for awhile. Some cats will accept each other right away, others take a while.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the means I'll say go for it! I brought Molly home and registered here. Then a few days later went back and got Polly. Best decision I ever made. They are great friends. I know it's different when the cats in question are a little older but I still think it would be great for Blitz to have a kitty friend.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd suggest getting a female since you won't have to worry about male-dominance issues. Siamese can be very possessive and territorial about their humans, so I agree with everyone else, make the introduction very carefully.

As I've recently learned from experience, two kittens are much more fun to have around than just one, and they are such good company for each other.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Getting him a companion will be hard at first but will pay off. Even if the two cats don't become lovey dovey, they will keep each other company and in time play with each other.

When you are a busy person it's better to have two so they don't become so lonely. My first kitty Isie, would also cry when I left until we got her a buddy.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bunnelina

I'd suggest getting a female since you won't have to worry about male-dominance issues.
I've found that, as long as all cats are neutered, males are more likely to buddy up. Where as female cats have those "leave me alone" moods a lot more. It's also common (and a lot of us have these) for there to be a mothering type male cat that wants to take care of all the other cats.

Look at personality more than gender. If you decide to pick a really calm male or female your male may bully just because lack of assertiveness.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped reading at 'Should I get a second cat' because i think it's tremendously beneficial to cats to have a partner around (as long as they are peaceful). They keep each other company, give the cat a familiar animal to relate to, keep them from getting lonely, and don't cost much more than just having one.

I ALWAYS get at least two of a pet since I've grown older. but I get so attached I think i go overboard anyway

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found that two cats were infinitely easier than one. I no longer had to be my first cat's sole source of amusement (which meant that he wasn't crazy to play when I needed to sleep) and he was wasn't lonely when I at work.

Just in case, I'm fostering a very sweet cat who needs a home ....

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ameise

Hello, again!

I haven't been on in a while, but Blitz is doing well:

He's calmed down a lot since and has become a good albeit feisty housecat.

However, we noticed when we are not home (my girlfriend and I both work retail), he is miserable. He howls/cries when we are gone and is VERY needy -- if he even walks out of the room we are in, he immediately cries until we say 'what', then he runs back.

We talked to the breeder, and she lowered the price of the remaining kittens from $550 to $300 with $100 deposits... she said that there are three, and one is a runt. The female of the non-runts is calm and cuddly, and the male is calmer than Blitz but similar.

Should we get another kitten (they should all be about 8 months old) to accompany Blitz and us, or should we look at a different route?

BTW, can't do shelter cats unless they are Siamese -- GF is allergic to non-Oriental breeds.
I have two males, main coons, although one is a main coon angora mix (Samson). They get along, and care for each other, but there tends to be more domination/alpha issues. I think males and females tend to get along more easily, but that is just my opinion.

So if it were my choice, I would get the calm and cuddly female
. Chances are if she tends to be warm and cuddly with you, then she will be the same with Blitz.

Also have you considered Abyssinians as a breed? I believe they are an African breed, extremely short haired and I think (I could be wrong) that like the Siamese they don't have "dander" and don't shed. In appearance they are similar to the Siamese and are small and delicate.

Whatever you decide, please let us know!

salsanchips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMO, yes, you should get another cat. My experience has been that a single cat will become overly fixated in its human companion and become lonely and scared when they are not around. Leading to behaviour problems.

I have three cats and that seems to be just right. Interestingly, several of my friends at work who have cats also have three.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the means, I'd go ahead and get another cat - the 'rule of thumb' says get another one of approximately the same age, and before your resident cat gets too used to being the one and only (which will still happen). I've also heard two cats of opposite sex, if neutered, is good - although I think two boys will also work. Two girls - maybe not so much - girls are more territorial, I think, even when neutered. I had my girl first, and adopted my boy about 3 months later - took about week but they became friendly (grooming each other, etc.) and they were adults, but fairly close in age (about 4 years old). If you can, have a cat tree, etc, at home, so there's room at various levels for each cat to 'claim', usually at different hours. It's so funny to watch my two switch off sitting on top of the cat tree.

just remember to tell Blitz how beautiful he is (not hard to do!) and that he's your number 1 and that the new cat is for him to teach, etc. Feed and play with him first, when/if you do bring another home - Blitz will feel a bit displaced, probably.

kmomo4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're a multiple cat household, too.

And even when we had dogs, we had more than one.

Sometimes, we'd start out with one but when we were done, they had "friends!"

So, if you can afford a second cat, it's wise to get a second one. They do keep each other company. Besides, we find four are fun for us, too.