Shopping today....

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think limiting the number of people in the store is a mandate from Governor DeWine. I think most if not all stores have installed a counter at the entrance and exit. They are allowed so many people in the store based on square footage, I am not sure but I think it is 1/2 of the fire limit. I go every Saturday morning. Masks or face coverings were just the occasional person now it is only the occasional person who doesn't. DeWine is pushing that when people are inside public areas. He wanted to make it mandatory but he got pushback on it so now it is strongly recommended. He never pushed for it outside, only the social distancing from people that you don't live with.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I called the vet and I about cried when they told me they had 3 cases of her favorite kind which is the kind that I have on auto ship. I was prepared to ask what would be the best regular food. I was very tempted to say I would take all 3 but I didn't I just got one. I didn't want to leave someone else in a lurch like I would have been.
That's great. One less thing to worry about. Also very thoughtful of you not to take all 3 cases. :hugs:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some fun things in our last Aldi order:
Fire-roasted salsa, French Vanilla Cappuccino, Thousand Island Dressing, Pumpkin Seed Granola cereal, Almond Milk

Next week I want to get Soy Milk, Almond Milk, Croutons, and Meatless vegetarian hot dogs. Maybe some blue cheese crumbles too.

When did I get so fancy?! :lol:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been finding it's better if I can go in myself for meat vs what I get in my orders. Can anyone go in for you?
Not really. My kids don't live in town and we have no other relatives in the area. I am not really friends with neighbors - just a wave or hello type relationship. I do have to go into the store once in awhile to pick up prescriptions so I hit the meat counter then for variety. I don't like going in there though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We went back to Lowes yesterday morning. Saw one guy with no mask. People doing their best to maintain distance. It was fine. Rick got what he needed to make two more raised beds

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're having an early spring, by Canadian standards, so of course this is the year that going to garden centre is as stress inducing as going for groceries. And since unlike food, I don't need garden stuff, I haven't been yet. :sigh:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went and did a big shop yesterday, went to 3 different stores (followed the sales), after only getting minimal grocery staples for the past 2 months. Everything was well stocked except for disinfecting wipes and aerosol sprays. The stock for disinfecting trigger sprays was low, but there were some. Not sure how the bleach is doing as it is in the "laundry isle" around here, and I didn't need laundry supplies.
I have not even seen wipes since the hoarding started in March. One grocery store did have about 8 cans of spray but I didn't get any....even during a pandemic...I refuse to buy if it's not on sale, lol! Don't really need it anyway, I have 1 full and one half can...I don't use them much. As for wipes I have two containers of Lysol wipes that I had even before this started and I only use them now for wiping things down after I come home from groceries, which is only every 2 weeks or so.
I have plenty of disinfecting solutions (trigger and refill bottles) and an almost full jug of bleach if need be. I've never really been one to be wasteful for the sake of convenience, so a rag and disinfecting solution works perfectly fine for me even if I run out of wipes.
TP and and paper products are stocked well, but they still have a limit in place. Even still, I think people have finally clued in that we don't need 10 years worth of TP stashed in our homes. :rolleyes2:
Food supplies are almost fully stocked. Flour and yeast are pretty low but, we now have fully stocked bread sections so I imagine it will balance out soon. And as for canned goods and pasta/rice there is plenty, it's just not "packed".

I'd say only 20% of people I see are wearing masks, most of them being older. But I think we've only had like 2 cases reported in my city and surrounding area in over 2 weeks, the last one was reported on May 2nd. Last I heard we only had 8 active cases left, so it's not like our city is in the middle of a crisis.
And for the most part people are being gracious and understanding. I got talking with the young girl that was "manning" the entrance for one of the stores, she said that she has gotten some flack from a few people, but on the other hand, she also mentioned that there are some who will only shop there because of the measures they have taken...specifically that they only allow 10 people in the store at a time, even though they could allow more and still keep social distancing possible. They are also requiring masks for the employees. That was at the Shoppers Drug Mart - it's a pharmacy but has grocery and other products too. Our grocery stores aren't mandating masks, although they can if they want. Only gloves are mandatory for the employees.

Overall, it was a relaxed and productive shopping event. We'll see what 2 more weeks brings.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even still, I think people have finally clued in that we don't need 10 years worth of TP stashed in our homes. :rolleyes2:
:yeah:

Just came back from BJs. There's still a limit on paper products. I got one pack of tissues. I don't need paper towels or toilet paper at the moment. I didn't see any toilet paper anyways. I did see people with toilet paper in their carts but I think they got the last packages before I got to the store. The only other thing I bought was a bag of chips. BJs didn't have the box of Belvita sandwich breakfast cookies again :disappointed: The aisles were confusing. An aisle said "Cleaning Supplies" but it was all car related stuff:dunno: There was definitely no bleach or disinfectant product.The produce and meat sections were pretty well stocked. The other food aisles seemed stocked as usual.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went this morning as well. I went down the disinfecting aisle just out of curiosity, I got what I needed last week. It was well stocked except for the aerosol cans of disinfecting. I think people like it for the convenience, I have a can. I spray the kitchen counters with it. You can just spray, get complete coverage and then come back 10 minutes later and wipe it down with a wet cloth. They had plenty of the trigger sprays and bottles which are just as good they just aren't convenient. Plenty of paper products. Meat cases are looking a little thin and prices are definitely up. They usually have larger roasting chickens and I was going to get one but they were out. They have a limit on ground beef. The roasting chicken may have partly been because of Mother's Day. They are something easy for someone who isn't really a cook to roast without messing it up. As long as it isn't over done or under done it turns out well. Doneness can be and really should be checked with a meat thermometer.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have plenty of prescription food for Alice now. I had gone to the vet's last week and got a case because she was almost out. Shortly after than I got an autoship then yesterday I got another one. I must have been so far behind that they owed me two shipments. She will be good for at least two months now. I haven't looked at my credit card on line but I know there are 5 cases of prescription food on it and it isn't cheap. That's okay though, I don't have to worry about food for her for awhile.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to Menards yesterday because I needed potting soil. Employees were wearing masks, and no one under the age of 16 was allowed in the store. A lot of shoppers were wearing masks but I did run into an older man who wasn't several times and he kept giving me dirty looks. But whatever.

I'm about to leave to go to the next town over to the community ministries center and a local bakery. The community ministries has tulip bulbs from the tulips that bloom every year and my friend really wants some of those because they are from our hometown; she's sending me sewn masks and jigsaw puzzles so I owe her that at least :). And the bakery just has cinnamon rolls that are amazing - if I'm going to be there anyway I must get some!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Menards is requiring masks, at least at these stores, which seems to be almost all of them (probably would have been easier to list the stores that don't require them!): Menards Updates at Menards®

But maybe that old guy claimed he had a health problem that meant he couldn't wear a mask, or maybe the employees didn't want a fight.

i see that some large cities are opening up streets to pedestrians, blocking them to traffic. That's pretty cool, hope they can make some long-term changes. American cities are far too car-centered.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Coffee and creamer are about the only things I buy at Costco but the saving are more than enough to cover my membership. I have been mentally preparing myself for a trip to restock my coffee but have really been dreading it. I know they have controls in place but but it just makes me nervous.. So I took a look online and found I could have it delivered for only $5 more than buying in store. Well worth it to me.

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 I was in Costco in Flemington NJ yesterday. Their senior hour is 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. Monday through Friday. Very long line to enter at 9:00 a.m., people spacing nicely. People entering / exiting store are kept separate.

Limitation on meat - only three items total of beef, pork, chicken, fish. Not 3 of each, three total. Limits on frozen shrimp - one unit. Limits on 25 pound bags of King Arthur flour - two. Etc.

To check out - long single line reaching almost to back of store, with people again spacing. Employee at head of line directing member at head of the line to this or that register. And they had all registers open. Moved along very quickly. Cashier asked me to put small items on conveyor rather than the previous two person team, where one would be unloading, the other running register.

And when you leave rather than someone leaning over cart counting items and looking at your receipt as previously the employee was behind a plastic "wall" you just held up your receipt, then left the store. I noticed that as well as the clear plastic barriers there was a line of folding picnic tables in front of the service desks, distancing members from staff.

I did use the restroom and they have clear plastic dividers separating each hands-free water and soap dispenser station.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 I should have mentioned that by the time I left, about an hour later at their normal opening time of 10:00 a.m. there was no line outside, nothing. Walk up and walk right in.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 The Costco I went to has senior hour every weekday, Monday through Friday. It's not like Walmart's crazy Tuesday only from 6:00 - 7:00 a.m. I do not ordinarily get up at 5:00 a.m.

But what you should do is look online for the hours at the Costco you go to. Or just plan to arrive maybe 15 minutes after their normal opening time.

Lunch finished, about to go out on my wild triple-stop excursion to bank, IGA, and obtain sour dough starter at walk-up window. Wow! What excitement!