Shopping today....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We grabbed groceries this morning. We were able to buy toilet paper and paper towels (limited to one per person per day). Got eggs and butter. Plenty of milk (we buy six half-gallons, put two in the fridge and the rest in the freezer). Gallons of spring water limited to two per person per day. Not much in the way of pasta or frozen vegetables. I also noticed that things that are normally on sale are no longer. Friskies Buffet has been 20 for $10 forever, now it's 20 for $11. Canned fruit has increased quite a bit. We didn't buy much in the way of meat, but some cuts are limited to two per person per day. Still no disinfectants or wipes to be found. (We've been going into Target and buying their sample sizes of wipes, one per person, and Rick and I each buy one. That works.) Arrows in the aisles, plastic at the cashier's. After every single order, somebody comes in and wipes the belt down. We were not allowed to go into the cashier's area until she gave the go-ahead. One way into the store, one way out.

Then we went to Lowes....and quickly left. The place was a madhouse. Parking lot was full, people everywhere. Nobody was trying to make people wait at the door for others to leave. Although there are distancing dots on the floor, nobody paid attention. They were constantly on the intercom, telling people to practice social-distancing. Nobody was and nobody was trying to do anything about it. We left; Rick said we could go back down tomorrow as soon as they open; normally it's just contractors at that time and it's not crowded at all. Today was just ridiculous.

I will say, though, that we didn't see one person without a mask. Not one. A couple kids at Lowes with their dad, but even they had masks.

AND I FORGOT TO BUY MY PEPPERIDGE FARM WHITE COCONUT CAKE!!! :livid:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We grabbed groceries this morning. We were able to buy toilet paper and paper towels (limited to one per person per day). Got eggs and butter. Plenty of milk (we buy six half-gallons, put two in the fridge and the rest in the freezer). Gallons of spring water limited to two per person per day. Not much in the way of pasta or frozen vegetables. I also noticed that things that are normally on sale are no longer. Friskies Buffet has been 20 for $10 forever, now it's 20 for $11. Canned fruit has increased quite a bit. We didn't buy much in the way of meat, but some cuts are limited to two per person per day. Still no disinfectants or wipes to be found. (We've been going into Target and buying their sample sizes of wipes, one per person, and Rick and I each buy one. That works.) Arrows in the aisles, plastic at the cashier's. After every single order, somebody comes in and wipes the belt down. We were not allowed to go into the cashier's area until she gave the go-ahead. One way into the store, one way out.

Then we went to Lowes....and quickly left. The place was a madhouse. Parking lot was full, people everywhere. Nobody was trying to make people wait at the door for others to leave. Although there are distancing dots on the floor, nobody paid attention. They were constantly on the intercom, telling people to practice social-distancing. Nobody was and nobody was trying to do anything about it. We left; Rick said we could go back down tomorrow as soon as they open; normally it's just contractors at that time and it's not crowded at all. Today was just ridiculous.

I will say, though, that we didn't see one person without a mask. Not one. A couple kids at Lowes with their dad, but even they had masks.

It's just like where I live.

Funny you should mention that cake (which I adore); last night, I was in a grocery store, and for some reason, I stopped to stare at the Pepperidge cakes,,,guess which one? I never do that, nor buy one, despite the fact that I love them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We grabbed groceries this morning.
I went for groceries yesterday too. It was my first time in almost 3 weeks, but nothing had changed since the last time. Still counting people as you enter (no line, as I arrived just after 9 AM) arrows on the floor, plexiglass at the checkouts. A few customers wearing masks, none of the staff were.

I was able to get everything I wanted except raisins, basmati rice and cornmeal. There was some flour, but not much. Probably no yeast, but forgot to look. The paper products aisle looked totally normal and completely filled. No hand sanitizer or wipes. Plenty of produce!

Oh no!!! :hugs: I know how that feels, as on one of my shopping trips I forgot to buy chocolate! :hmmm:

I'm getting toilet paper today, hopefully.
Good luck. :crossfingers:

1588771935396.png

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was my shopping and errand day. First Menards to pick up some yard things. Vastly improved since a visit a few weeks ago, directional signs, everyone masked etc. Following that I went to Fleet Farm and that store was horrible, no one including cashiers were masked, and the cashiers were talking loudly to one another across aisles. I felt totally unsafe. I was there looking for vacuum sealer bags, which everyone seems to be out of and they had them. They also had a pallet of wipes.
Lastly I went to the grocery store. Meat selection was thinner than usual but nothing was out. Cleaning products were still out and wipes of course but they had toilet paper. Everyone seemed to be taking reasonable care.

I have been trying to do curbside pickup when it is available. Bird seed, lawn products from Lowe’s, some tools from Home Depot. All have been ready quickly and pickup has worked great. But fabric is another story. I put in an online order at Joanne’s last Friday and it isn’t ready yet. They said they have been swamped but this is a really long wait.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
When we did our biweekly run on Saturday, there was no meat to be found. Well, there was meat, but it was either $30 steaks or ethnic cuts that I have no clue how to cook and B wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole...lol! I grabbed the last 6 pack of paper towels (the expensive Viva brand, but we're down to only one roll...sigh). We got everything else on our list.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe try a different time of day to look for meat? I usually go first thing in the morning as soon as seniors-only hour ends and the meat case is pretty empty. Last weekend I went a little before noon and the meat case was fairly well stocked and there were employees bringing out more packages of meats to put out.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go right after they open on Saturday and the last two weekends they have had everything. This past weekend I even scored hand sanitizer. They have plenty of meat out though I read Kroger was going to institute limits on meat because of expected shortages. I don't really care about it for myself I only eat meat at most 3 or 4 times a week and am an on again off again vegetarian but I am concerned about cat food. I have been having a really hard time getting the prescription food for Alice, I think soon I may have to go to PetSmart and get the least worst option available for her.

Last weekend they even had a variety of disinfectants available including the wipes. They didn't have a lot so I wouldn't be surprised if the shelves were empty or nearly empty by the end of the day.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had gotten to the point ( before the pandemic) that I hated grocery shopping Now I haven’t been to the grocery store since the beginning of March. My grown son insists that he go for me. Of course now I wish I could go It is such a jolt of reality to realize everything has changed. That so many people have lost so much It is surreal time to be living in It has provoked a lot of deep thought on what we as a society take for granted I think we will forever be influenced by this time Sorry reading this thread just touched me

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad went to BJs and Walmart today. He got pretty much everything we wanted- Toilet Paper, Friskies Shreds, Friskies dry food, Temptations Treats, Special Kitty Litter, Folgers Instant Coffee, an 8 pack of Spaghetti, Ragu pasta sauce, Sriracha Sauce.

He wouldn't buy my coconut milk. He said it was $4. I don't know if I believe him. That seems kinda high.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing curbside pickup for nearly everything, so I'm not often at the store. I did get some free masks from this online retailer that sells tights and shapewear for plus size women because I bought other things. I am going to pick up some auctions I won tomorrow with my mom and I'm going to give her some of the masks and obviously wear one myself.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only eat meat at most 3 or 4 times a week and am an on again off again vegetarian but I am concerned about cat food. I have been having a really hard time getting the prescription food for Alice, I think soon I may have to go to PetSmart and get the least worst option available for her.
I'm vegetarian, so like you my concern is over the availability of prescription cat food. Ruby eats hypoallergenic duck food, and I stocked up a few weeks ago, so she's good for a quite a while. But I worry what might happen down the road. Feeding pet store food would really mess up her digestive system.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to my store. No toilet paper. Nothing (and now no Raid either although I wasn't buying I thought I'd check). So I went to the other dollar store a few doors down and they had 4 rolls (not packages) on the shelves. That's it. We are only allowed one roll per customer per day. Yes, they had it packaged one roll only. I thought the news stated that toilet paper was restocked. Obviously the news lies.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went to Lowes for the garden center the other day. The parking lot seemed pretty full; but inside it didn't seem crowded and people were doing well distancing. And not leaving their carts wherever and moving if they saw someone wanted to pass. Everyone had masks on. I actually let my kids come in too. You’d have thought they were at Disneyland for how happy they looked. They understood about not touching things. They’ve been out of the house; but staying in the car. The last time I went to the garden center my mother drove over and sat with them in the parking lot.

Groceries themselves have been ok. I still don’t need tp or paper towels but DDs allergies have been acting up so I’m going to try for tissues soon. I’m using online ordering but I’ve had to go back later to fill in some thin and then I can usually get them. Produce has been great. I saw some paper towels but the aisle was far from full.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm vegetarian, so like you my concern is over the availability of prescription cat food. Ruby eats hypoallergenic duck food, and I stocked up a few weeks ago, so she's good for a quite a while. But I worry what might happen down the road. Feeding pet store food would really mess up her digestive system.
My auto delivery on prescription food is running way behind so I called the vet and I about cried when they told me they had 3 cases of her favorite kind which is the kind that I have on auto ship. I was prepared to ask what would be the best regular food. I was very tempted to say I would take all 3 but I didn't I just got one. I didn't want to leave someone else in a lurch like I would have been. They are doing the curbside cat care. There were two others there waiting outside for their cats. I called in with my credit card info then they brought it out to me.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do curbside pickup as much as possible. For groceries I use Instacart since my husband is ill and we both are in the high risk group. In my orders I hit the jackpot last week - I got a 4pack package of toilet paper! The meat selection is awful.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today was the first time I have been shopping in a while, other than a quick trip to the drug store. I really did not want to go, but we were out of so many things that I had no choice. I also had to go for my daughter because she has been keeping the baby away from people, and it made more sense for me to shop for her than for her to leave Hobbit with me. (We often shop together, but until this is quelled, she can keep her butt out of the store!) I went to an Aldi a couple of towns over since we do not have one in our village. They were limiting how many people could go in at a time. All but one person had on a mask, and the employees were sanitizing carts and offering hand sanitizer. Nearly a third of the items had a limit on them and many prices were higher than they had been the last time I went.