Shedding Like Crazy

Kysn.G

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there,
About a week ago, I've adopted a cat. His previous companion pretty much lied about everything about him. I'm not even sure what breed he is but apparently he is 8 months old. He is almost 2 feet tall when standing and weigh about 10 lbs. At first I was like "Wth kind of mountain lion did I just bring in my house???!" But he turned out to be the sweetest cat I've ever met. My only question is how do you guys deal with the fur? I love him already but not so much his fur all over his room. (He is not allowed to roam around the whole house yet so he has his own room.) I brushed him for two hours straight everyday for a week now and it is still the same amount of fur all over the place and when I pet him. What can I do?
20180215_120541.jpg

Thank you so much for your time. Have a great day!

20180220_085406.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Beautiful kitty. As far as the breed, he's a Domestic Shorthair (DSH), not a specific breed. His coat pattern is classical tabby, which I just love.

What are you feeding him? Sometimes a higher quality protein in the food can help reduce shedding.

The stress of the change in environment could also cause him to shed more. Give it a little more time, and keep brushing him, and you could see a reduction in the shedding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kysn.G

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Beautiful kitty. As far as the breed, he's a Domestic Shorthair (DSH), not a specific breed. His coat pattern is classical tabby, which I just love.

What are you feeding him? Sometimes a higher quality protein in the food can help reduce shedding.

The stress of the change in environment could also cause him to shed more. Give it a little more time, and keep brushing him, and you could see a reduction in the shedding.

Thank you so much for responding, I was a bit confused when people would say he looked a bit like a Bengal or American short hair. Is there a way to actually find out?

Right now I'm feeding him Fancy feast by Purina and sometimes I add the whiskas wet food and mix it up. I hope that is okay, he seems to really love it. His previous companion said he eats "whatever".

Thank you again for the response, have a great day!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
You baby is absolutely gorgeous..
So handsome!!
He is a big boy.. lots more to cuddle, that way..

Yes, sometimes Stress and food can cause cats to shed more; and your cat has had more than his fair share of that.. by just being adopted..

And Shedding season is Here.. yup..I think it is starting early.. There is a lot of fur to be shed, but once things calm down, things will be improved.

Fancy Feast Classics are a good food. Sheba is ok..
But you feed what you can.. Any food your cat will eat, is a good food.

You can always, in the future, try to get to a higher end food, if you prefer.. but those foods are ok.. do not worry..

Kysn.G

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You baby is absolutely gorgeous..
So handsome!!
He is a big boy.. lots more to cuddle, that way..

Yes, sometimes Stress and food can cause cats to shed more; and your cat has had more than his fair share of that.. by just being adopted..

And Shedding season is Here.. yup..I think it is starting early.. There is a lot of fur to be shed, but once things calm down, things will be improved.

Fancy Feast Classics are a good food. Sheba is ok..
But you feed what you can.. Any food your cat will eat, is a good food.

You can always, in the future, try to get to a higher end food, if you prefer.. but those foods are ok.. do not worry..

Hello there, thank you for the response, I appreciate it. He really is big. I'm not sure if he is still growing but when he uses his litter box, it looks like a medium sized dog droppings. :( It's huge.

Shedding season? Oh no. Do you think it would be okay to bring him to a groomer and shave him a little? If he would be too stressed though, of course I won't do it.

Thank you for your time and the reassurance, have a great day!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
You are so welcome.. It has been a pleasure..

To answer your question: No, I would not suggest taking your cat to a groomer for a shave. He is short hair. He does not need a shave.
Fur is something all of us "Feline-Moms and Dads" just have to get used to.. it is a fact of life.. but with the fly away fur, comes unconditional love. It is the best type around. For that, I will thankfully, deal with the fur...

My guy is big also. Very long and lanky. Wish he would put weight on, but...another story, for another time.. perhaps...

As far as him outgrowing his litter box, well, some people buy a large plastic tote and cut an opening in the front.. or you can use an under bed plastic tote.. plenty of room to move around.

BTW, What is your baby's name? He looks so sweet. I honestly think the larger the cat, especially boy, the sweeter, they are....

Take a few minutes to introduce yourself..

take care..

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for responding, I was a bit confused when people would say he looked a bit like a Bengal or American short hair. Is there a way to actually find out?
Probably what people are looking at is the classic tabby pattern. Many, but not all, Bengals and American Shorthairs have the classic tabby pattern. Many other registered breeds, and random bred cats, also have that pattern. Your kitty has a completely different head and body type from the American Shorthair. Check out the breed profile on the CFA website. He's closer to the type for a Bengal, but it's unlikely that he has any Bengal in him unless you have a Bengal breeder nearby whose cat got out and had an oops breeding. Bengal profile on CFA.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that regular brushing helps with shedding. Also good quality high protein food is better for the skin and coat. Look for grain free and sugar free wet food vs dry food or other high carb food.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kysn.G Kysn.G , your kitty is a bodacious, handsome devil! 10 pounds and only 8 months? He's big, but not huge. I have a cat that's 20 pounds, ummph when you pick him up.

As the others point out, he's a shorthair, so he won't shed like a long haired cat will.

But, if you've never had a cat before, the amount they shed can be surprising. Some short haired cats have very thick fur, which adds up to Hair Everywhere, or so it seems. And, a bigger cat will shed more than a small one.

The closer to the equator you are, the more likely it is that the big spring shed may be approaching.

I have five cats, and I have to sweep regularly to keep up with the hair. Brushing and combing also helps, though it seems to make a bigger difference with long-haired cats.

Hmm. Given the misinformation you got from the cat's previous "owner" maybe a trip to the vet might be a good idea, though he looks as healthy as can be.

Kysn.G

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are so welcome.. It has been a pleasure..

To answer your question: No, I would not suggest taking your cat to a groomer for a shave. He is short hair. He does not need a shave.
Fur is something all of us "Feline-Moms and Dads" just have to get used to.. it is a fact of life.. but with the fly away fur, comes unconditional love. It is the best type around. For that, I will thankfully, deal with the fur...

My guy is big also. Very long and lanky. Wish he would put weight on, but...another story, for another time.. perhaps...

As far as him outgrowing his litter box, well, some people buy a large plastic tote and cut an opening in the front.. or you can use an under bed plastic tote.. plenty of room to move around.

BTW, What is your baby's name? He looks so sweet. I honestly think the larger the cat, especially boy, the sweeter, they are....

Take a few minutes to introduce yourself..

take care..
Thank you for all the advices, learning a lot here. :)
His shedding still hasn't calm down but I think I'm brushing him good because I haven't seen him throw up any fur balls yet.

How old is your guy btw? I wonder if mine will grow bigger.

I will try to look into the bed plastic tote, I found something at petsmart called Petmate swing away and it's about $50 but I still got to go and check it out to make sure my mountain lion fits comfortably in it.

Sorry for forgetting to introduce myself and my cat. A bit new around things like this so not really sure how it works. :)

My cats name is CB, short for Cinnamon Buns and I am Kaysean. :)
I adopted CB on the 14th of Feb by accident. I was actually supposed to adopt a declawed 5 year old Calico but the lady changed her mind the day before we were supposed to meet the cat. I found another lady that needed her 4 year old Tuxedo cat to be re-homed because she just had a newborn and didn't have any time to give to the cat. I was determined to get him and the lady thought I was a great fit for him as well. I cat proofed my entire home. I bought him food, litter, litter box, carpets, toys, and 3 outfits. On the day I was supposed to pick him up, the lady changed her mind too. lol
I was left with an entire supplies for a cat without a cat. I found CB through an ad online. He needed a new home because his old companion couldn't take him wherever rock he's about to crawl under. I've asked about CB and the guy told me whatever I wanted to hear. I met with them the same day that I inquired about CB which was pretty fast but I was ready for him. I brought a small carrier because the guy said he was really skinny and tiny. It was weird when I first looked at him. His eyes were all black at first then turned into a diamond shape then he kept dozing off. When we got home and I opened his carrier, I just sat there and waited for him to come out. He came out and I backed up a little, I didn't expect an eight month old kitten to be a size of a medium sized dog. It took me a while to bring myself to touch this big scary cat but when I did, he never stopped leaving my side. He meows a bit weird though, like there's something stuck in his throat and he loves to pounce and attack his toys.

That's the story on how I met and got CB. Hope it wasn't too long. :)

Thank you again for the time and responses, I appreciate it. Have a great day!

Kysn.G

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Probably what people are looking at is the classic tabby pattern. Many, but not all, Bengals and American Shorthairs have the classic tabby pattern. Many other registered breeds, and random bred cats, also have that pattern. Your kitty has a completely different head and body type from the American Shorthair. Check out the breed profile on the CFA website. He's closer to the type for a Bengal, but it's unlikely that he has any Bengal in him unless you have a Bengal breeder nearby whose cat got out and had an oops breeding. Bengal profile on CFA.

Thank you again for the response, I appreciate it. I've read up the website that you've given. He really looks like a marbled bengal but like what you've said, it's unlikely. His previous companion is hiding from me so I will never know. lol
But thank you again, Have a great day!

Kysn.G

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that regular brushing helps with shedding. Also good quality high protein food is better for the skin and coat. Look for grain free and sugar free wet food vs dry food or other high carb food.
Hello there,
Thank you for the response, I appreciate it! I will look into that. Do you have any suggestions though because I have no clue where to start. :) Have a great day!

Kysn.G

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kysn.G Kysn.G , your kitty is a bodacious, handsome devil! 10 pounds and only 8 months? He's big, but not huge. I have a cat that's 20 pounds, ummph when you pick him up.

As the others point out, he's a shorthair, so he won't shed like a long haired cat will.

But, if you've never had a cat before, the amount they shed can be surprising. Some short haired cats have very thick fur, which adds up to Hair Everywhere, or so it seems. And, a bigger cat will shed more than a small one.

The closer to the equator you are, the more likely it is that the big spring shed may be approaching.

I have five cats, and I have to sweep regularly to keep up with the hair. Brushing and combing also helps, though it seems to make a bigger difference with long-haired cats.

Hmm. Given the misinformation you got from the cat's previous "owner" maybe a trip to the vet might be a good idea, though he looks as healthy as can be.

Hello there,
Thank you for saying that. :) And yes, apparently he is only 8 months old but I will never know for sure because his previous companion is nowhere to be found. lol

I've had cats before but never indoor. They were also not mine and were stray but I took care of them and their babies. :)

I'm in Canada so hopefully he is a little cold and decides to keep all his fur.

Five cats? That sounds fun. I would adopt more but my home is not big enough for all of us. :(

I'm planning on taking him to the vet soon, I just wanted him to be comfortable in his new home first. Hopefully everything is okay with him.

Thank you for the response and advice, have a great day!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello there,
Thank you for saying that. :) And yes, apparently he is only 8 months old but I will never know for sure because his previous companion is nowhere to be found. lol

I've had cats before but never indoor. They were also not mine and were stray but I took care of them and their babies. :)

I'm in Canada so hopefully he is a little cold and decides to keep all his fur.

Five cats? That sounds fun. I would adopt more but my home is not big enough for all of us. :(

I'm planning on taking him to the vet soon, I just wanted him to be comfortable in his new home first. Hopefully everything is okay with him.

Thank you for the response and advice, have a great day!
You're welcome!

I loved the story of your cat's adoption. The long tale means you tried to do the right thing, and home a kitty who needed one.

Unless you live in one of those "tiny houses" you can have more cats than you think. They're smaller and vertical space helps a lot. That said, you DON'T want to be like the self-described "crazy cat lady" who had 43 cats in a 900 square foot house, either.

That's all up to you, of course. Those litter boxes do get annoying, as does the hair. But the love makes up for all of it.

Kysn.G

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're welcome!

I loved the story of your cat's adoption. The long tale means you tried to do the right thing, and home a kitty who needed one.

Unless you live in one of those "tiny houses" you can have more cats than you think. They're smaller and vertical space helps a lot. That said, you DON'T want to be like the self-described "crazy cat lady" who had 43 cats in a 900 square foot house, either.

That's all up to you, of course. Those litter boxes do get annoying, as does the hair. But the love makes up for all of it.
Hello there,
Thank you for the kind response, I appreciate it.
I think CB was meant to be mine. The previous adoptions didn't work out and led me to him. I'm still on the hunt for his previous companion though. I just wanted to know CB's history and this guy vanished. Lol

I think I'm going to wait to adopt another cat. I already tripped and fell a couple of times because he was trying to rub and cross through my legs while I'm walking. What more if there's two or three of them.

The box does get annoying but I think I've dealt with the worse thing that I could possibly have to deal with (I hope). I had to pull his number 2 out of his butt. It was stuck when he tried to use the box for the first time. He's regular now though. I think he just wasn't eating well in his old home.

Thank you again for the response and your time, have a great day!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
A lovely story.. " a meant to be" story.. love it..

As far as the plastic bin.. you do not have to go to the petstore to get a plastic tote.
Just go to Home Depot, Targer, Walmart, anywhere, and get an inexpensive plastic storage bin..
You can cut an opening in the side of it..and use it for a litter box!! Or the other option is getting an under the bed storage bin, and use that for a long litter box.

Personally, I use an extra large litter box, which I get from Stop & Shop grocery store.. It is big enough for one cat. I am always scooping.

My guy is 14 years old.. When he stretches, his toes can reach the kitchen counter, and past my waist.. He is so funny. I could see his toes, during a stretch, hooking not the edge of the kitchen counter...

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kysn.G Kysn.G , as artiemom artiemom pointed out, a large litter box needn't be expensive.

I went to Home Depot and got 4 big trays for mixing concrete for my five kitties to poop in.

That "clumping" litter helps a lot, too.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My son's cat shed a lot also when on dry diet. I recommended Fancy Feast Classic wet and the shedding greatly improved. My Tuff eats FF classic and sheds very little.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's time for them to start shedding. Best I can tell, they start shedding LONG before warm weather actually arrives. And their fur starts getting thicker LONG before cold weather actually arrives.
My tabby is the same way, although, it's not all that noticeable to look at him. (aside from hairs everywhere).
My other cat is VERY noticeable. In the winter he's gray, fluffy, and looks chunky. In the summer he's tan, short hair, and looks anorexic (almost like he's starving, but, the weight is the same). And as of a few weeks ago...began little tufts of hair showing up all over the place. He's starting to shed.
Same with the tabby. If I pick him up and carry him against me, my shirt looks like a cat when I set him down. Wasn't that way a month ago.
As for all the hair all over the place? You have a cat and thus a whole bunch of new chores, cleaning up the hair just be one of those chores. I suggest just chalk it up to having a cat, and clean up before company comes over.