She never came home

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad she came home!!! I can not even imagine your panic. I am in the city so I keep mine inside, but I am always afraid of them getting out and not comming home. Give her lots of extra hugs from all of us here at TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI,
I just went to PetCo earlier this evening and paid about $10 for a new name tag that has her name, address and my cell number. I figured it would be better to be safe than sorry to have it on here even if she is in the house. She has been begging to go out and I just look at her and give her a firm "NO!"

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes. I am glad to have a happy ending!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BellesMom

HI,
I just went to PetCo earlier this evening and paid about $10 for a new name tag that has her name, address and my cell number. I figured it would be better to be safe than sorry to have it on here even if she is in the house. She has been begging to go out and I just look at her and give her a firm "NO!"

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes. I am glad to have a happy ending!
mine don't have my address - just the cat's name, my home & cell numbers, & a message on the opposite side - "if you see me outside, i am lost - reward". & everyone except Pixel wears a collar w/tag all the time.
Java's the only one who's ever gotten out - & she didn't get far!
Pixel's collar tends to rub the hair off of her neck, so i took it off of her.

bellesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I couldnt find a place that would engrave on both sides. Could you tell me where you got yours? This one is a small gold heart that I bought at the pet shop. When I walked in there, they had 3 cats in cages that looked absolutely miserable. I really felt badly for them and wished I could take them home but one is more than enough for me.

Belle's new collar is one of those glow in the dark, hot pink "break-a-way" collars that has a bell on it. I honestly think the bell drives her up the wall. I have been debating if I should take it off or leave it. Also, I noticed that the collar comes off very easily. I was told to only buy this kind but what is the point of a collar, if she should escape and wander off again, if the thing winds up coming off? Any suggestions?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know everyone is encouraging indoor only and just keep it in your mind and think it over. If you feel she needs outdoor time you can get a structure for her to play in during the day outside. Or just leash walk her.
Cleo got out a few weeks ago and for the whole night I was crying and I was mad too. I don't know what I would have done if we had not found him.

I know she is a lovey girl but outside isn't just frolic and play. There are man made dangers out there that sadly make it dangerous for cats to just explore and hunt.
Added bonus:The Auduban Society will thank you for it.

bellesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I am scared to death of having a repeat of this past weekend and just keep telling her "no!"

By the way, great Twain quote!
Thanks for sharing!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use breakaway collars as the cats lose them, plus the expensive tags, all the time. I use all-elastic ones with buckles that stretch easily in an emergency but that don't just break open at the slightest touch. They still lose them occasionally but not nearly so often.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, take the bell off. There's no reason for it, unless you're trying to deter her from catching prey... and even then bells tend not to work.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BellesMom;2293483 said:
Thanks for the advice. I am scared to death of having a repeat of this past weekend and just keep telling her "no!"
I am glad to hear your being firm about the no more outside.
I would just be beside myself if I lost one of my cats. I know how hard it must be, but stay strong, she needs you to be her voice of reason!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BellesMom

I couldnt find a place that would engrave on both sides. Could you tell me where you got yours?
got my tags here: Boomerang Tags. this is the one i got: small heart. i got the small instead of the mini so i could put more info in it. it's not any bigger than their rabies tags. on the front, it has the cat's name, my home #, my cell #, (over). on the back, it has the message, if you see me outside i am lost reward (over).
got my collars here: Ragtime Collars. they're all cotton, handmade, w/breakaway fasteners. prior to those, i used Beastie Bands, which are stretchy. but Chip's neck is just too big for them, so i switched over. you can get Beastie Bands in other places, but this site will let you choose collar color as well as pattern.
i really like all of the fabric choices @ Ragtime, tho! plus, she'll also embroider stuff on them [extra $, of course]. if you don't see something you like, she'll do a custom piece [another TCSer has a custom one from there].
i've only had one come off once in the house. they have bells, but you could probably remove them... altho mine are still on there. i only hear them when the cats are moving really fast, jumping or wrestling - when they're just walking, i don't hear the bells.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't have their bells on now but when Mary got outside I heard her bell and caught her immediately. It is a two sided coin.

You are welcome about the quote. So many famous people have been cat lovers and their quotes always touch me.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

Yes, take the bell off. There's no reason for it, unless you're trying to deter her from catching prey... and even then bells tend not to work.
Hennessy wears his bell... not to keep him from catching prey (which he would fail at anyway...) but to keep him from being stepped on (Mister Run-in-front-of-human-and-flop-on-the-floor...)