Share your spooky stories mini-contest

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Outside Frederick, Maryland there is a hill called Spook Hill that appears to defy gravity.  I've tried this out myself and my car definitely drifted up the hill when put in neutral.  This is an area where a lot of action took place during the Civil War and the story goes that the Union Army was dead on their feet and completely exhausted when they got to this hill, which separated them from the Confederate Army.   It wasn't just a matter of walking up the hill, there was equipment to be moved and the horses were as worn out as the humans.  It was not a good place to be caught by the opposite side.  

Knowing they couldn't manage to get up the hill on their own, they fell down on their knees and began praying for help.  To their astonishment, the wagons began rolling uphill.  They thanked the Lord and successfully made it up the hill to win the battle.  

Thus began the legend of Spook Hill.  

It is a bit disconcerting, to say the least.  These "antigravity" or "magnetic" hills are actually found in other spots around the world and measurements have shown it's really an optical illusion.  Whatever - it's definitely spooky when you're sitting in your car and it starts drifting uphill.  [emoji]128576[/emoji]

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

These "antigravity" or "magnetic" hills are actually found in other spots around the world and measurements have shown it's really an optical illusion.  Whatever - it's definitely spooky when you're sitting in your car and it starts drifting uphill.  [emoji]128576[/emoji]
To me, it doesn't matter whether there is a scientific explanation or not.  "Gravity hills" always make great fodder for ghost stories!

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two, and they're both short while one might only be creepy to me. The first one is that, when the kittens were about six or seven months old, if they were in the living room at four-fifteen in the afternoon every single one of them  would turn to the same spot and just stare. There is no vent there, there is nothing that should be getting attention, and I even checked it in case there was an air leak coming in from somewhere. Then, exactly thirty days later--it stopped. No rhyme, no reason, and no explanation. It just stopped.

The second one was when Spot was attacking one of the windows. (Our windows have blinds over them.) I got up and rolled up the blinds to see--the largest waterbug I have ever seen before or since. (For those who don't know, waterbugs are giant, carniverous roaches.) I was horrified! And so, so glad my buddy cat wanted to kill the thing. (At least, I think  he wanted to kill it.)

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never had a spiritual experience with a cat before. My husband though has creepy beliefs surrounding cats. He is from Ghana and culturally I do no think cats are well liked there. They are a very superstitious people, and many, even the highly educated, believe in 'spirit's', 'demons', and 'witches'. I've had Ghanaian not come into my house because of my cats. My husband believes spirits enter cats, and cats are weak; they don't know God. He especially feels this way about strays. He'll say "Lynn you don't know where it came from".Convincing him to get a cat (and then a 2nd one-both feral) is a feat all on itself.  He is often times weary of our cats, and he does pray over them from time to time 

I have some interesting stories involving sleep paralysis.

The first time it ever happened to me I was in 7th grade, and it was my birthday. I had a party with my friends and one of my friends brought over a passed down Ouija board that belonged to her grandmother.  We played with it, but to my deep disappointment it obviously wasn't channeling the dead or the unknown (ex. the 'ghost' wanted to date all of us). 

When everyone was gone I noticed my friend had accidentally forgotten her Ouija board so I thought I'd give it to her at school on Monday. That night I had lots of trouble going to  sleep. It was odd. I tried reading a comic, lying different sides, imagery, etc.. Then suddenly I felt completely paralyzed,  and  I saw a blurry outline of a tall person slowly approaching me. It climbed on-top of me and it felt like it was pushing down on my chest & had it moved it's long hands around my throat. I couldn't breath, and I thought I was going to die. My life literally flashed before my eyes, and I started to cry. I tried calling for my mother, but no words left my lips. My eyes searched for my bedroom door. My eyes focused on something propped up against the wall; the Ouija board. All of sudden it stopped and I sprung up, ad ran to my mother in tears. It was safe to say I didn't sleep that night, and in the morning I made a special delivery on my bike. 

The second time it happened it was about three years ago,  and I was living at my friend's house with my boyfriend (now husband). The house our friend had actually built entirely himself. Some tragedies occurred in the house. His father died in the house, and one of his troubled brothers shot & killed himself too. The house itself was unsettling. It was deep in the woods and sometimes at night you can hear the coyotes howl. I never liked to spend time there; none of us did really. We didn't even buy a TV for the living room. We all basically used the kitchen and our beds to sleep. It always felt like you were being watched.  One night I woke up to something pulling at our sheets, and it was again a tall blurry outline of a person. I again couldn't move or talk, but I could breath. It just seemed to stare at me and I felt a wave of sadness, guilt, anger, and depression. It suddenly disappeared, and I immediately awoke my husband and he  sleepily cradled me to sleep. Our roommate had weird things happen to him too. There was a time my husband and I went on a trip. While we where away our roommate said every night the shower in our bedroom would turn on. After about the 3rd day he was officially spooked, and left the house to sleep at a friend's house for the remainder of the time.

I'm loving all the Gettysburg stories. It 's such  an alluring place. @Alicia88  Oh Blue Boy
! I am also frighten of him. I remember as a child there was a history channel special on the ghost of Gettysburg, and Blue Boy was definitely the most unsettling, and most memorable. Certain family members still tease me about Blue Boy to this day.

Keep the scary stories coming everyone 

Last edited:

sweetonyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No cats in my story :( This is the scariest thing I have experienced ever. Seriously, this was the scariest night of my entire life.

I lived in a small, humble town in the mountains in Guatemala. The house we moved into belonged to my (now ex) husband's uncle and we were desperate for a place. All of our neighbors kept warning us not to stay there long.

I always heard things in the house, but I am not easily spooked. One night, I heard what sounded like a very heavy dog walking outside my bedroom door. My ex hates animals, so I didn't have any pets at this time. I heard the "dog" walk up and down the hall and then stop at my door. Now, like I said, I am not easily spooked, so I stood up to go check things out (I wouldn't live long in a horror movie), but suddenly a sense of absolute dread came over me. I woke my ex up, but he pretended to still be asleep,he later told me he was too afraid to get up.

So, I stood by the bed and listened, staring at the door and for the first time I was so happy that the door would lock any time you closed it. The "dog" was just outside the door, breathing heavily. Suddenly I heard a sound as though someone was pounding the top of the door, then running claws down the length of the door. I felt paralyzed until I heard a shrill scream. I jumped back on the bed and hid under the covers like a little kid.

Whatever it was started pacing again, whimpering a lot, pounded and scratched again, then walked away. I heard a crash like something broke through the window.

I listened until I saw the sun was coming up, but didn't hear anything else. When we got up there were no scratches on the door and no broken windows.

I talked to one of my neighbors about it and she said that the house has been haunted for years, no one has lived in the house for more than 4 months at a time. We asked the uncle about it and he admitted it was true. Not only that, but the man who lived there before, up and left one night and they found him a mile away unable to speak for three days! When he could speak again he would just say he saw something that scared him, but refused to say more.

I packed my shit up and took the bus to my mom's.

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^ That sounds like something demonic. It was smart to leave that place. 

I wanted to add another story (hopefully that's okay). Every time my husband tells it I get the chills. My husband grew up in Ghana and attended a Catholic school. 

In  9th grade, around Easter time, he was sick and returned a week later then everyone else. When he arrived back to school it was late and he was approaching his dorm.

He was the house "prophet" (like a glorified Hall monitor), and was in-charge of everyone of his dorm. Before he went inside he saw one of the boys outside. This particular boy was a rather quiet kid, and he was very kind kid too. My husband really liked him. It was strange that he was out that late. He was suppose to be inside and in bed at this time.

The boy greeted him and was just so happy to see him. He said he missed him. They embraced each other, and exchange a few words. And then my husband, being tired from the journey to the school, went inside. The next morning he noticed the boy was not there and he promptly went to one of his teachers before speaking to any of the other boys, The teacher looked at him in disbelief and in awe, and said that the boy had died while he was away. My husband said tears immediately rolled down his cheeks. He never saw or heard from the kid again.

Last edited:

sweetonyx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^ That sounds like something demonic. It was smart to leave that place. 

I wanted to add another story (hopefully that's okay). Every time my husband tells it I get the chills. My husband grew up in Ghana and attended a Catholic school. 
In  9th grade, around Easter time, he was sick and returned a week later then everyone else. When he arrived back to school it was late and he was approaching his dorm.

He was the house "prophet" (like a glorified Hall monitor), and was in-charge of everyone of his dorm. Before he went inside he saw one of the boys outside. This particular boy was a rather quiet kid, and he was very kind kid too. My husband really liked him. It was strange that he was out that late. He was suppose to be inside and in bed at this time.

The boy greeted him and was just so happy to see him. He said he missed him. They embraced each other, and exchange a few words. And then my husband, being tired from the journey to the school, went inside. The next morning he noticed the boy was not there and he promptly went to one of his teachers before speaking to any of the other boys, The teacher looked at him in disbelief and in awe, and said that the boy had died while he was away. My husband said tears immediately rolled down his cheeks. He never saw or heard from the kid again.
That sounds more sad than scary. I have a similar experience, it gives me the chills too, but also makes me feel loved and accepted.

Can I add another one too?
When my mother in law died, I was pregnant, only about 14 weeks, still hadn't felt movement yet. I ran to her house and when I walked into the bedroom where she was, my baby started moving very hard, harder than is possible at that time, when I left the room, she became still. I walked in and out a few times and the same thing happened each time. I have no scientific reason to how that could have happened, it's simply not possible.
The next night, she came into our bedroom and kissed my husband on the arm and smiled at me. My husband woke with a bruise on his arm where I saw her kiss him. Also, when she was in the room, the baby was jumping again.

We named our daughter after his mom.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if this is considered spooky and there are no cats involved (sadly) BUT this is true and it happened to me. 

I got up one night around 3 AM to get a drink of water. Everyone else was asleep. I wasn't 100% awake but almost. I walked through the living room on the way to the kitchen with my head down. At the top of my vision line, I saw a soft light. There was nothing odd about that as I used to leave the light above the stove on in case DD got up in the middle of the night and needed to go to the kitchen.

As I approached the front entryway and the entrance to the kitchen, I looked up and saw an Angel standing in my front entryway. Yup- a real one- wings and all. it was standing in the entryway in between the front door and the door to DD's room- guarding her door? 

I was stunned. It was stunning. It looked exactly like you'd expect it to. You know that feeling when you are 5 years old and you go downstairs to see that Santa had come in the night? Multiply that by about 10, 000 and that's how I felt. I was like a 5 year old. Without thinking, I ran to it and threw my arms around it. It hugged me back. I can still feel it. The best way I can describe it is that all at once it was the softest thing I had ever touched and yet I could feel how incredibly strong it was. I can feel my cheek resting against it's chest, the feeling of the soft feathers of it's wings against my hands and it's arms around me. 

I also notice how tall it was. The place where my cheek rested on it's chest was around where the ribs are on a human so it was around 7 feet tall. I stood there just hugging it for what seemed at the same time like quite a while and also just an instant. Then it was gone and there I stood- still in the entryway- by myself. 

I told DH about it and he didn't believe me. He passed away 5 years ago- I bet he does now. 

ETA- DD was about 10 at the time

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Can we post more than once? I just got an email saying that we need more stories,so I'll lay it on ya'!

1.  When I was a Civil War reenactor, I once gave a lecture on 1860's clothing authenticity in a historic mansion.  My friend was in charge of the event, and told me that the mansion had some 1800's original garments upstairs, and suggested that I go up and take a look at them.  I reached the stair landing, felt an odd feeling, as if something up there didn't want me to go up the rest of the stairs. It also was much colder than the other, short flight of stairs. I didn't say anything, but I turned and looked at my friend, who was at the foot of the lower stairs. She smiled, and said, "You felt that weird feeling, didn't you?" The cold blast wasn't what made me feel weird--it was the overwhelming sense of hostility I felt that made me turn and look at her.  I later found out that many people describe just what I felt; and the friend now leads ghost tours there. Another ironic thing: I never told anyone about this. Many years later, a co-worker and friend was visiting my Mom, with whom I still lived. She mentioned about going on a ghost tour of that mansion, and...yep!  (I did go up the stairs, in case you're wondering, but nothing happened.)

2.  A similar thing happened to me a few years later, when I was viewing a house I considered buying.  I was with the realtor, and went up the stairs to the attic. Mid-way up, I had a feeling that something bad happened there.  The place wasn't creepy, except for the basement, which I didn't think was haunted, though it looked as if it should be! The attic was lovely: hardwood floor, built-in knee wall storage--just what we wanted.  I didn't say anything to anyone about this, either. I still wanted to put an offer in, but their agent discouraged us (it was our low offer. The house sold a month later...for that price, but we had already committed to another house).  A couple of years ago, I remembered that a co-worker lived across the street from this house, and asked her if anyone had died in it.  She thought not, but then she laughed: "But their teenage sons did drive a hearse, and the attic was their bedroom. When we moved in, we thought they were running a funeral home!"

3.  I posted this here a year or so ago, I believe.  I was in my upstairs bathroom, and distinctly heard my husband's cough. It was so clear, I could even tell exactly where he was standing downstairs, by the kitchen counter.  I ran out to the landing, and called down, "Honey, I'll be down there in a minute!". What a shock--no one was there. I even called him at work, and asked if he had come home, and gone out again without me hearing him, He was in another state at the time. (What is it about ghosts coughing and sneezing in my house??? Do I need to dust more often? Daily isn't enough? Or are they allergic to cats?!?! 
)

4.  When I was a teen, I saw my first ghost. I didn't believe in ghosts at the time, though I found the idea intriguing.  Our house was an L-shaped rancher. My bedroom was in the outside corner; one window was visible from the picture window in the living room. I had left the overhead light on. It was very early on a grey, overcast day. I was drinking a glass of chocolate milk, I was idly staring out the living room window when something in my bedroom window caught my eye: a woman, in a white, long-sleeved dress, with very yellow-blonde hair, gazing quizzically downward to her palms, which must've held some object that I could not see. She kept tilting her head from side-to-side, looking at the thing in her hands. I was a bit angry: I though Mom was going through stuff in my room, although she had never done that, and her hair wasn't that blonde, and she never had a white nightgown, and, if she had, she would've cut the long sleeves off...and she was snoring, fast asleep in the next room. The only other occupants were black-haired Dad, who I could hear in the kitchen through the living room's doorway, my older, brunette brother, who was asleep in the room off the kitchen, and myself, and a cat and a black dog. A check of my room revealed no one. I asked Mom later if she had gotten up. She hadn't. If she had, Dad would have seen her, and said something. He called her "Fi-fi" after the giant in Jack and the Beanstalk. She was was not a morning person, and was English. She'd trudge to the bathroom, half-asleep, hence, "Fi-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman"!  He always said this when she got up. He wold have seen her if she had.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Multiple stories are indeed welcome. In fact, I'm here to close the giveaway and declare our winner. Feel free to keep adding stories, but any posts following this one won't be eligible for the prize. I'll be running the draw and announcing the winner real soon, so stay tuned!

nikkiandfelix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Sorry if I'm too late, I just saw this today)
Years ago I had this cat, Hocus Pocus. He slept at the end of my bed every night and I always kept the door closed because I'm a big scaredy cat and don't like how dark the hallway is.
Anywho, I was asleep facing the wall, Hocus was sleeping on my feet, and I was having a nightmare. I felt something I've cold touch the back of my neck and I woke up. Hocus was still laying at my feet but hair standing on end and eyes wide while staring at something next to me. I was terrified but slowly turned and looked for what was scaring him and didn't see anything, I look back to him and he slowly watched something head to the door that was still closed but I still didn't see anything. Needless to say I didn't fall back to sleep that night.

Thanks for reading if you did. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I won!!!??!? :banana2:
I wasn't expecting to win at all! I was just enjoying sharing and reading everyone's stories. Wow, I never won anything before! This is so cool, thank all so much. It is much appreciated!!! :woohoo:

Flavia and Abraham are going to love their new toy! This funky spider will be a great addition. Thank you all for posting your stories it was a real treat reading themi all! I hope to read more, and I myself may share a few more too. Thank you to the thread site owner/gift sponsor for this thoughtful & surprising prize too. We three will cherish it and think of you all.

God Bless & may you all, and your kitties, have a safe Halloween!

Thanks,

Lynn xoxo :heart2:

@Nikki
What a cute name for a cat! It's good you had him with you! It would have been much scarier without him by your side. Cats, and other animals, are such sensitive creatures. It's always a good idea to have them around. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure I'd call this spooky (most of my "spooked" moments are right after reading or watching something scary)... Lucky used to get on my bed by jumping on the little chest of drawers next to my bed, and then walk across my pillow (above my head - although sometimes I got a a foot in the face, lol) and then settle himself wherever he wanted, often in the crook of my arm. After he died last November, I often could hear what sounded like him walking up to the chest of drawers and even heard the jump. I thought it was one of the other kitties, and then I'd feel the walking across the top of my pillow. After that the sensation of movement just stopped. I'd reach up to see who was just sitting there - and there was no one there. In fact, all the other cats were sleeping soundly in other parts of my bed. Plus none of them normally took that particular route - that was always a Lucky thing.

I realized it was Lucky, visiting me. He hasn't visited in awhile, but he does occasionally, and hope he will again soon. It's almost always when I'm in the process of falling asleep, in that between the awake and asleep worlds.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations, @ForNana!  I'm sure your cats will love it.

Well, Roger told me this story, and when I asked about it, so as to get the details right, I found out it's fairly well known, and actually has a name: "Kentucky Ghost Story."  And, sure enough, a Google search found it:  http://www.hvacproforums.com/threads/kentucky-ghost-story.8182/

Not wanting to plagiarize it, I'll just leave you with the link.

Margret

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations @ForNana  !   You entered a great story.  I'd love to see pictures of Flavia and Abraham with their new spider when it arrives.  

marrin713

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are we allowed to post more than once? If not, just delete.

Anybody believe in orbs? We went to Gettysburg one weekend to take one of the ghost walks. It was very interesting and they started talking about orbs. Evidently, the redder the orb, the angrier the spirit. 

This picture was taken during the ghost walk. The building used to be a girls school/college. Legend has it that the girls were studying in the room right below the orb. It was cold and snowy and there was a boy who they let in the building to warm up. But one of the schoolmistresses heard the boy and tried to open the door. The girls made the boy go out the window, where he froze to death. The orb is said to be his spirit (we think it's just a dust speck on our camera, but it did show up on other people's cameras, too).

View media item 380271

We knew people who were camping at Gettysburg that weekend and visited with them. Way back in the back of the campground, there's a monument. There are supposed to be orbs back in there. The guys posed by the monument and I took a couple pictures. When we came back to the campsite and looked through the pictures, there was an orb hanging right between Rick and my brother. I can't find those pictures and I've been looking all over my computer. If I find them, I'll post them. It wasn't an orange/red orb, so evidently the spirit wasn't real angry.

Gettysburg has a lot of interesting ghost stories!

Interestingly, we went to a haunted cemetery in Connecticut on a ghost walk one time when we visited my GF. Took a ton of pictures. No orbs at all. 
Son and DiL went there for vacation as well and many of their pics have orbs in them. Only the Gettysburg pics though.