Semi-stray Siamese gave birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update: She has moved her kittens to under the bed that I have in the spare room. So I cleaned her bedding from the feral winter box where she had her kittens. So now, I just wait and see what happens.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be worse than nesting under unused furniture, I guess. It will make it a little more difficult to pick up the kitties, but mom won't let you do that anyway. Besides, in three weeks or so, they'll be walking around under their own steam, and won't be so likely to be under the bed.

You can push new bedding in from the side and if mom starts nesting on it, just pull away the old stuff when it's dirty.

I don't think mom will be taking them back to their old box though...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just lay some blankets by the bed they can use, as far under as you can. Mama cats are VERY protective, and since she knows there are dogs in the house she is really stressed. I can't see her settling down until the kittens are weaned and gone. I spay my cats when the kittens are 8 weeks old, they are usually eating on their own then. She will lose all those protective hormones too, though it takes a while for them to leave her system. If you put her back outside any earlier she could be pregnant again in just a few weeks. when the kittens are crawling around, they will be curious about you and will most likely come to you. They will take their cue from mama and will be scared at first. Good food usually overrides this. But watch mama!

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can push new bedding in from the side and if mom starts nesting on it, just pull away the old stuff when it's dirty.

I don't think mom will be taking them back to their old box though...
thanks for your advice, I will see how it goes with the blankets. I just want to know, why do you think the mom won't use her old box anymore?

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just lay some blankets by the bed they can use, as far under as you can. Mama cats are VERY protective, and since she knows there are dogs in the house she is really stressed. I can't see her settling down until the kittens are weaned and gone. I spay my cats when the kittens are 8 weeks old, they are usually eating on their own then. She will lose all those protective hormones too, though it takes a while for them to leave her system. If you put her back outside any earlier she could be pregnant again in just a few weeks. when the kittens are crawling around, they will be curious about you and will most likely come to you. They will take their cue from mama and will be scared at first. Good food usually overrides this. But watch mama!
Thank you for your advice and recommendations. I will try my best to remember and follow them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once mama cats move their kittens, they rarely move them back. My feral mama DID move back to the nest box after the kittens got a little older. I think the kittens started going back in there. They thought a blanket was much more comfy than the cement behind a cabinet where she had them.

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Once mama cats move their kittens, they rarely move them back. My feral mama DID move back to the nest box after the kittens got a little older. I think the kittens started going back in there. They thought a blanket was much more comfy than the cement behind a cabinet where she had them.
LOL! I would too prefer a blankie over cement

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a queen that delivered all her litters in mom's nightgown drawer (she'd gotten in because the dresser drawer had been left partially open). This was perhaps 60 years ago, and cats were allowed to have lots of litters in those days. We kept trying to get her into a box in the closet, but she'd just move them back to the drawer. If we closed the drawer, she'd panic. Finally, when we saw she was pregnant, mom would change out the drawer contents for blankets and towels, and that's where the kittens were delivered. Cats, once they've decided on a nest location, just don't want to change.

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a queen that delivered all her litters in mom's nightgown drawer (she'd gotten in because the dresser drawer had been left partially open). This was perhaps 60 years ago, and cats were allowed to have lots of litters in those days. We kept trying to get her into a box in the closet, but she'd just move them back to the drawer. If we closed the drawer, she'd panic. Finally, when we saw she was pregnant, mom would change out the drawer contents for blankets and towels, and that's where the kittens were delivered. Cats, once they've decided on a nest location, just don't want to change.
Wow, thanks! You just gave me a great idea. I guess I too can leave an empty drawer open and add blankets in there just to see if she will move in there. An under-the-bed hiding spot isn't so good in my head, it's been years since I cleaned under there.

Thanks again for your post. :thumbsup:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
thanks for your advice, I will see how it goes with the blankets. I just want to know, why do you think the mom won't use her old box anymore?
In nature, there is no GrandMa / GrandPa changing the bedding. What is soiled, is soiled... so just to find a new place. Also the risk is big, predators had got some knowledge on possible easy pray in the old place.
So, in nature they dont go back.

Home cats may do, but usually not semiferales / ferales.

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In nature, there is no GrandMa / GrandPa changing the bedding. What is soiled, is soiled... so just to find a new place. Also the risk is big, predators had got some knowledge on possible easy pray in the old place.
So, in nature they dont go back.

Home cats may do, but usually not semiferales / ferales.
Understood, thank you!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks! You just gave me a great idea. I guess I too can leave an empty drawer open and add blankets in there just to see if she will move in there. An under-the-bed hiding spot isn't so good in my head, it's been years since I cleaned under there.

Thanks again for your post. :thumbsup:
Well, it's worth a shot.

Realistically, clean under the bed? I only do that if the bed slats fall out and I have to pick up the mattress to put the slats back. There are dust bunnies big enough to saddle up and ride down there!

Last edited:

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, if y'all don't mind, I'd like to ask another question. When the time comes, in say 8 weeks, how exactly do I move them out back to the shed? The reason I ask this is that I have new window installers coming within the next 2 months or so and they will need access to that room. Plus the weather should be a lot better by the time Spring rolls in.

Any suggestions/advice/recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks all in advance.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah. I agree with SArthur. Do not move them to the shed. Even if its doable. There they will quickly become semiferales...
Although its possible you will be forced to release momma after spaying and giving all usual vaccinating shots...A TNR of sorts. But your aim should be to foster the kittens so you can adopt them out to own homes (or keep them if you prefer so)..
If you cant foster them with momma present (I hope you will be able to, if she calms herself), so you will probably be able to foster them once momma is released / separated; and they are still young enoung to be fostered relatively easy...

If she keeps to be such super protective and nervous, it may be so you should separate them somewhat earlier than desirable; to be able to foster the kittens easier... so its something to think about... Difficult to give definite advices, as the situation is floating, and may change.

In best case scenario, she will calm down noticing you ARE friendly and docile, no threat at all, and you can foster them all together....

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please move them somewhere else in the house that is safe at that point. Putting them in a shed is not a good idea.
Thank you for your advice. the only reason I said to move them to the shed is due to the fact that it is the only "safe" place away from the dogs and it will be only for a few hours while the new windows are being installed in that room. After the work is done, they will be moved back in there.

But your aim should be to foster the kittens so you can adopt them out to own homes ...

If she keeps to be such super protective and nervous, it may be so you should separate them somewhat earlier than desirable; to be able to foster the kittens easier... so its something to think about...
That was my hope was to get them adopted into homes. How soon (after how many weeks) do you think it would be wise to "separate" them if the momma doesn't change her attitude toward me?

Thank you both so very much for your advice.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for your advice. the only reason I said to move them to the shed is due to the fact that it is the only "safe" place away from the dogs and it will be only for a few hours while the new windows are being installed in that room. After the work is done, they will be moved back in there.

That was my hope was to get them adopted into homes. How soon (after how many weeks) do you think it would be wise to "separate" them if the momma doesn't change her attitude toward me?

Thank you both so very much for your advice.
Perhaps already at 5-6 weeks. Ie as soon they are weaned, and its no longer the same work to handfeed. (even if you prob want to supplement some).
AND they are still easy to foster into sociale, friendly kittens. After they are 8 weeks, the fostering becomes more difficult.

If it feels too early for you, so latest at 8 weeks.

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
this is probably going to be an ongoing post but I wanted to know, what would be best wet cat food to give mama Siamese so the kittens can get the best nutrition? I have given her Royal canin, Wellness Pate BUT she will not eat any of them!!! I guess she hates the pate version because she eats her adult wet food which is Purina One wet and dry food that I give her. So, what am I supposed to do? Give her what's best for her kittens or what she will eat?

Once again, thanks for everyone's input.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her some KMR too. Helps provide lots of calcium to help her kitties make healthy bones, and helps her replace her stores of it that she used making the same bones before the kitties were born.

You can give her kitten food if she'll eat it, which you might want to have on hand later anyway when the kittens start eating solid food. The kitten food has higher caloric density which might help if she's a fussy eater.

Last edited: