Semi-stray Siamese gave birth

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I am new here. Would love some advice and recommendations about what to do. I have been feeding this semi-stray Siamese cat for about 4 months now. She has started warming up to me about a month ago but recently (2 days ago to be exact) she gave birth inside the feral cat box that I made for winter in my shed. I read that new kittens can not regulate their temperature so I brought the box inside my house since it has been cold these past few days. She has now started hissing at me and even tried to bite me when I brought her food. My problem right now is, how do I change the soiled bedding without her trying to bite me? Also, I can not keep them inside for long since this household has 2 inside dogs who would love nothing more than to run after cats all day. SO, I plan to somehow bring the cats back outside soon as the kittens can regulate their own body temperature, or should I try to keep them inside the house until the kittens are 8 weeks old? This is my first time with cats, always has been a dog person but I always try to help animals in need. I also don't have access to any time of housing other than the feral shelter box I made. Thanks in advance for any and all your advice.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for saving this kitty and her kittens ❤ I would ask a local rescue/ shelter to help you. I don’t think it’s a good idea to put them back outside where they could freeze to death etc. They need to be inside until they are about 12 weeks, socialized during that time and then adopted. Hopefully mom can be tamed in time too and adopted.

As for the mom biting etc. I would probably wear some gloves and a protective jacket while you clean out everything- she’s probably just reacting protectively and is frightened. Maybe you can setup a second box / enclave and try to get her into that one or distract her with food to get her out of the box to clean it etc. Try some catnip and or pheremone spray to calm her.
Another really important point I forgot: they all need to be spayed / neutered asap. Obviously the kittens can’t be yet. A rescue can also help you with that.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. The reason I call the Siamese a semi-stray is because I know where she "used" to live. Apparently, her owners/previous owners don't feed her anymore which was why she always came to my house because she knows I also feed another stray who lives on my front porch. If I didn't feed her, she would fight with the Grey stray for the food.

I agree that they need to be spayed/neutered but should I ask the "owners"? DO they even have a right to be asked since they no longer care for this cat? This is the second time she has been pregnant since last October and it seems the "owners" just don't care. I know that the Siamese hasn't gone home to their house in quite some time because I see her on my next-door neighbors' porch sleeping all the time.

Thanks, I will try to get a second box to transfer them and try to wear extra protective clothing while doing that. Also, unfortunately, there isn't a rescue around here where I live. I have tried to call the local animal shelter but they will not help.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. The reason I call the Siamese a semi-stray is because I know where she "used" to live. Apparently, her owners/previous owners don't feed her anymore which was why she always came to my house because she knows I also feed another stray who lives on my front porch. If I didn't feed her, she would fight with the Grey stray for the food.

I agree that they need to be spayed/neutered but should I ask the "owners"? DO they even have a right to be asked since they no longer care for this cat? This is the second time she has been pregnant since last October and it seems the "owners" just don't care. I know that the Siamese hasn't gone home to their house in quite some time because I see her on my next-door neighbors' porch sleeping all the time.

Thanks, I will try to get a second box to transfer them and try to wear extra protective clothing while doing that. Also, unfortunately, there isn't a rescue around here where I live. I have tried to call the local animal shelter but they will not help.
yw😀 post some pics when you can.
It won’t hurt to ask them, but it is doubtful they will pitch in since they never spayed her etc. and stopped feeding her, how sad. Did she live in their home?

There may be other resources that you can get help from. Are there any dvm clinics in your area who would do a low cost group s/n? Otherwise it is on you, maybe try a gofund me to raise the money and ask neighbors if they can chip in.

Explain that there are going to soon be huge numbers of cats/ kittens if people don’t act to help these cats. What happened to the other kittens? Maybe try contacting alley cat allies or the local spca.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little female was the next-door neighbors too, after her first litter (except for one) was killed on the road, and she started bringing her second litter over here too, I had her spayed as soon as I could, only two kittens survived from two litters, I have them all. He said they were just strays and he didn't feed them so they would hunt. Obviously, he didn't know cats and didn't care. I don't know how you got them all inside, but congratulations! Have mama spayed as soon as the kittens are eating on their own, mamas can come into heat again within days/weeks of giving birth. you have an excellent opportunity to tame the kittens and find them homes. I would set up a second box and see if she would relocate there, she will fight you trying to move her and may hurt the kittens. Try to tame her down some with good food and treats. your dogs may hurt the kittens or mama them, so be VERY vigilant about keeping them separated. maybe after mama is spayed and kittens are tamed they can go back outside. You will be blessed for helping them......

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It won’t hurt to ask them, but it is doubtful they will pitch in since they never spayed her etc. and stopped feeding her, how sad. Did she live in their home?

There may be other resources that you can get help from. Are there any dvm clinics in your area who would do a low cost group s/n? Otherwise it is on you, maybe try a gofund me to raise the money and ask neighbors if they can chip in.

Explain that there are going to soon be huge numbers of cats/ kittens if people don’t act to help these cats. What happened to the other kittens? Maybe try contacting alley cat allies or the local spca.
The Siamese was an outside cat from their house. Yes, it is sad that they no longer cared for her. Her other kittens from the first litter(or at least I think it was the 1st litter) were given away to a rural farm to catch rats. So I guess they became barn cats or at least that was what I was told by the husband of the "fake owners" LOL.

There is a so-called low--cost spay/neuter clinic here but their low-cost is at least a hundred bucks/cat. I can't afford that! But I will do my best to find them new homes if these "owners" don't. Thanks again for your responses. Very much appreciated

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little female was the next-door neighbors too, after her first litter (except for one) was killed on the road, and she started bringing her second litter over here too, I had her spayed as soon as I could, only two kittens survived from two litters, I have them all. He said they were just strays and he didn't feed them so they would hunt. Obviously, he didn't know cats and didn't care. I don't know how you got them all inside, but congratulations! Have mama spayed as soon as the kittens are eating on their own, mamas can come into heat again within days/weeks of giving birth. you have an excellent opportunity to tame the kittens and find them homes. I would set up a second box and see if she would relocate there, she will fight you trying to move her and may hurt the kittens. Try to tame her down some with good food and treats. your dogs may hurt the kittens or mama them, so be VERY vigilant about keeping them separated. maybe after mama is spayed and kittens are tamed they can go back outside. You will be blessed for helping them......
Thanks, and yes I plan to have her spayed soon as the fake "owners" give up their right to her or allow me to have her spayed. I was lucky enough to carry the feral shelter backward (so the mama couldn't bite me) with all the kittens and mama in there. Mind you, they were heavy!!!!

I've already bought several oven mitts to help protect me just in case mama decides my fingers aren't worth seeing! Yes, that's exactly what I am afraid of, my dogs fighting and hurting them. that was why I planned to bring the kitties back outside once they were fully grown and walking/running. I am afraid that once I open the door to the room, they would sprint out and get caught in my dog's mouth!!!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess the oven mitts are good enough if she won't let you handle her and the kittens. She may settle down in a few days; remember, she's had a lot of changes in her life recently.

Keeping them isolated is a good idea, especially if you dogs haven't been socialized with cats and kittens. How large a space do they have now? A bedroom or something similar in size? That should be fine until they're old enough to go somewhere else.

Do provide some gentle heat source for them, as well as a non-heated area they can move to if they get too warm. A sock filled with rice and heated in the microwave for a few minutes is a decent cheap one, but you'll have to re-warm it every few hours.

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess the oven mitts are good enough if she won't let you handle her and the kittens. She may settle down in a few days; remember, she's had a lot of changes in her life recently.

Keeping them isolated is a good idea, especially if you dogs haven't been socialized with cats and kittens. How large a space do they have now? A bedroom or something similar in size? That should be fine until they're old enough to go somewhere else.

Do provide some gentle heat source for them, as well as a non-heated area they can move to if they get too warm. A sock filled with rice and heated in the microwave for a few minutes is a decent cheap one, but you'll have to re-warm it every few hours.
Thanks for your reply. They are in a separate bedroom all to themselves. I am just afraid that when the kittens are big enough that they would dart out the door soon as I open them just like my stray cat that lives on my front porch did. I was lucky that during those times the dogs were outside! When you say "old enough", can you tell me exactly how old? And how soon after giving birth can I have the Siamese spayed?

My house's big heater is on and set to 65 but there is a room heater in there as well which I turn on for them during the early mornings when it gets cold. Thank you for the rice info, I didn't know this!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have any specific timeline in mind. I suppose old enough to adopt is a good benchmark. That's 8 weeks as a minimum, but it's much better from a socialization standpoint if you keep them until 10 or 12 weeks of age.

If you take the time to socialize them by petting, playing and cuddling them, they won't be so likely to dart out at the first opportunity. This doesn't mean that hyped-up kittens in zoomie mode won't run out of the room, though.

I think some have had their queens spayed very soon after giving birth, but seems to me 8 weeks is more the normal time. It gives mama a chance to wean her kittens beforehand. You just have to be careful that she doesn't go into heat and dart out of the house while you're waiting, or you'll likely have another litter of kittens. The space heater isn't ideal, but should do okay as long as they can't get too close. The kittens still need room to get out of the heat if it's too much. They may not walk, but still will be able to wiggle away or mama will move them. Newborn kittens don't regulate their own heat until several weeks of age.

Do weigh the kittens daily and see that their average weight gain is at least 10 grams a day (as long as mama has enough milk, they should). It's okay if they have a lackluster growth day occasionally, but they should average at least 10 grams daily. Supplement their feedings if they don't. A cheap digital postal scale worked well for me in this regard. I think it was less than 10 bucks on eBay.

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
here's a photo taken today since I thought I would give her 1 more day to trust me. If you look in the small hole of the feral box I made, it looks like there are 3 white kittens and 2 black ones. :cloud9::thumbsup:

Attachments

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't have any specific timeline in mind. I suppose old enough to adopt is a good benchmark. That's 8 weeks as a minimum, but it's much better from a socialization standpoint if you keep them until 10 or 12 weeks of age.

If you take the time to socialize them by petting, playing and cuddling them, they won't be so likely to dart out at the first opportunity. This doesn't mean that hyped-up kittens in zoomie mode won't run out of the room, though.

I think some have had their queens spayed very soon after giving birth, but seems to me 8 weeks is more the normal time. It gives mama a chance to wean her kittens beforehand. You just have to be careful that she doesn't go into heat and dart out of the house while you're waiting, or you'll likely have another litter of kittens. The space heater isn't ideal, but should do okay as long as they can't get too close. The kittens still need room to get out of the heat if it's too much. They may not walk, but still will be able to wiggle away or mama will move them. Newborn kittens don't regulate their own heat until several weeks of age.

Do weigh the kittens daily and see that their average weight gain is at least 10 grams a day (as long as mama has enough milk, they should). It's okay if they have a lackluster growth day occasionally, but they should average at least 10 grams daily. Supplement their feedings if they don't. A cheap digital postal scale worked well for me in this regard. I think it was less than 10 bucks on eBay.
As much as I would like to weigh them, the mother just will not let me. Even just taking that 1 photo from this afternoon I had to be at least 6 feet away! And as much as I hate that they are in soiled towels, I can't change them yet unless I fight with the mother or somehow trick her to look the other way, but I will definitely try tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

As for the space heater, it is also 6 feet away so as not to be too close to them but still provide some warmth. Thanks again for your advice it is very much appreciated by this novice "cat butler" lol

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
here's a photo taken today since I thought I would give her 1 more day to trust me. If you look in the small hole of the feral box I made, it looks like there are 3 white kittens and 2 black ones. :cloud9::thumbsup:
Aww she is beautiful 😻 It’s so dark I can’t see the kittens.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought you might have the heater close by and blowing directly at the cat box. If it's farther away, it shouldn't pose any problem.

Newborns would do better with something nearing 85 F., but that's not likely in your situation. Mom will provide the extra heat for the kitties. After all, they're born outside in cold weather and survive. Just feed her well. She seems to be pretty healthy-looking from your photo.

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww she is beautiful 😻 It’s so dark I can’t see the kittens.
the feral box is black but if you look inside the hole, you can see a white head, that's one of the kitties!

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought you might have the heater close by and blowing directly at the cat box. If it's farther away, it shouldn't pose any problem.

Newborns would do better with something nearing 85 F., but that's not likely in your situation. Mom will provide the extra heat for the kitties. After all, they're born outside in cold weather and survive. Just feed her well. She seems to be pretty healthy-looking from your photo.
Yes, the heater is further away from them but 85 F would make me sweat and same with the dogs lol...thank you for your post.

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update: I tried to give her her dinner tonight and good thing I was wearing the oven mitt because she tried to bite my fingers off! I don't know what to do anymore, it seems to be a hopeless case. I would be too afraid to go in there to clean her litter box for fear that she might dart out of her box and bite me from behind or I guess I could force the dogs outside and open the door and somehow pull out the litter box and clean it then push it back inside but the food bowls will be very hard to do.

I read that it is advisable to feed her small meals 3 to 4 times daily but at this point I might just do it 2x a day. :(:confused2::sniffle:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update: I tried to give her her dinner tonight and good thing I was wearing the oven mitt because she tried to bite my fingers off! I don't know what to do anymore, it seems to be a hopeless case. I would be too afraid to go in there to clean her litter box for fear that she might dart out of her box and bite me from behind or I guess I could force the dogs outside and open the door and somehow pull out the litter box and clean it then push it back inside but the food bowls will be very hard to do.

I read that it is advisable to feed her small meals 3 to 4 times daily but at this point I might just do it 2x a day. :(:confused2::sniffle:
Try putting the food away from the box and put it near the new one. Then transfer kittens to the new box quickly while she eats. Easier said than done prolly. Sprinkle some cat nip first.

I think you want to control the food so she understands she is dependent in you for food now. But still give plenty of food.

Don’t give up, hopefully she will calm down in time. I think there are other posts from people going through a similar situation here.😀

Last edited:

RedSpyderChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try putting the food away from the box and put it near the new one. Then transfer kittens to the new box quickly while she eats. Easier said than done prolly. Sprinkle some cat nip first.

I think you want to control the food so she understands she is dependent in you for food now. But still give plenty of food.

Don’t give up, hopefully she will calm down in time. I think there are other posts from people going through a similar situation here.😀
Good morning, yes that's what I do with her food bowls. I put the new one down and try to remove/replace the empty bowls but she tries to fight me with that too! Transferring the kittens is definitely out of the question, I wish I was super fast but I am not.

I will try again for at least a week and see what happens. I guess she likes her soiled towels so I will leave that idea of changing her soiled bedding alone and just concentrate on giving her food and immediately walk away. Thanks so much for your help and I will update you whatever happens. Hopefully, she has a change of behavior soon.