Semi-feral pregnant cat -- catch her now or wait?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's so hard to say when she'll have them. She sounds lonely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor thing. :( Should I just keep trying to spend more time with her, or should I make any changes to her living situation? My original plan was to keep her in the attic until after she had the kittens, and probably sometime after until I felt my other cats could be trusted around them unsupervised. Is that still the best plan, or should I start allowing her to roam the house a little... or should I let one of my other cats up in the attic to hang out with her? Introductions have been going good so far, and I think I would trust Kismet or Nenya to keep her company without any issues.

Anyway, I spent a couple of hours with her this evening -- we were cuddled up together on the floor, and she was purring and just being cute. Then she decided to give me what I think was intended to be a love bite -- it was gentle and she was still purring -- but she did it on my eyeball and eyelid. Owwww.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I got a kitchen scale today (it can weigh up to 18 lbs, so I can even use it to weigh cats, yay), and I found some leftover needleless syringes from when my cats had to take some liquid meds. Hopefully I won't need them.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should do both - let her into the main house, and also let your cats up to see her. She really needs to socialize, but still needs a "safe" place to retreat to for birthing.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Holy crap, she's having them right now!

She was curled up in the carrier and I thought she might be having contractions, but I never had any evidence that her water broke.

I lifted up her tail to check, and there's a kitten on the way out!

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far one's out! Looks like a tortie. That was really fast and super unexpected!

She's cleaning her up right now. When should I weigh the kitten(s)?

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Second one out, already!

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll keep waiting!

Third one came out about twenty minutes ago! Can't tell the color yet of the third, but the second one is gray and white.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
4! An orange and white one popped out, and he looks huge!

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think she's done! No contractions for awhile, and her belly feels pretty empty.

I attempted to weigh the kittens, but she took them back from me before I got a chance. I'll try again later when the kittens are more sleepy.

I did manage to get the weight of the runt of the litter, 2.9 oz. Is that an okay weight, or is it one I need to especially monitor?

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just saw this, about an hour now, and omg you've kept me on the edge of my seat! I've got to get to bed now that everyone is doing well. Any time you might get a picture, I'm sure everyone will be delighted! Your girl sounds like a great mommy and the babies being healthy is always such a relief. I bet they are precious!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey! Congrats! She was attaching herself to you earlier to try and tell you it was time, bless her heart.

How many are there?

2.9 is 82 grams, which is just a tad small. Anything under 90 grams is on the small side, but not too bad. The kitten will be fine as long as it is latching and nursing well. [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel so bad for not realizing that earlier... And even worse when I went to bed at 3:30 AM, convinced she was done, and got up to two more kittens! *facepalm* So six total!

So here's the kittens and their weights:

Tortoiseshell 4.4 oz
Gray and white 4.1 oz
Brown tabby 3.1 oz
Cream and white 4.2 oz
Gray calico 4.1 oz
Black and white 3.6 oz

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So precious! The weights are excellent. Don't beat yourself up - you had no way of knowing! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:) Might be a little early to think about, but financially, I want to start planning out my next steps. I'm currently working under the worst case scenario that I will be paying for all their shots and spay/neuter surgeries, but if I can find any of them good homes that promise to do all those things, then all the better!

What shots do kittens need/when should they get them? I always get a rabies and distemper, but for young kittens, there's that three shot booster series for distemper -- is that shot super-important when they are all indoor, or would I be okay waiting until they are a little older and get the regular shot with the booster a year later?

I've generally heard spaying/neutering is okay at eight weeks/2 lbs, but for finance's sake, I won't be able to get Camo and all the kittens done at one time. There's a low cost spay-neuter clinic I think I will be able to take them to, but they still charge $80 per surgery. With both Kismet and Shade, I waited until about 6 months to get them spayed (Kismet is going in on Monday), and they never had a heat cycle. I'm not too familiar with male cats since I have only had females for the past 13 years. What is the latest the male kittens can be fixed in order to prevent them from causing pregnancies or developing spraying behaviors? I'm thinking Camo and however many males should go in for surgery first, but wanted to know how much wiggle room I have.

Edit: Forgot to add -- the clinic includes a rabies and distemper shot with the cost of the surgery, which is awesome, but if the cats already have those shots, they don't waive any of the cost... so it would be helpful if I got the rabies and distemper shot done at that time.

Last edited:

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was pretty surprised too! Anyway, got some pictures!

The first born, a tortie or maybe a torbie:

Second born, the gray/white. Sorry for the blurriness.

Third, the one I think is a brown tabby, and the runt:

Fourth, the cream and white, and the biggest one when born.

Not sure what order these two came out, but next, the grey calico:

And last, but not least, the black and white one that looks so much like Kismet, it's creepy: