Semi-feral pregnant cat -- catch her now or wait?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking three girls...although the top one is a tiny bit iffy...I might be wrong on that one.

LOVE the photo of little Black and White, head down, butt up  in the food dish...that little back paw dangling is so precious!

I think the "cream" you're asking about is a dilute red.  After all, gray cats are, genetically, dilute blacks.  There are two cat colors, black and red (orange, if you will).  Everything else is a dilution, a permutation, or an absence of those two colors...calicos and torties being all three at once!  Little guy look something like a dreamsicle, doesn't he?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, yes, so cute!! Yes, since Angel wasn't real orange, but simular to your little guy I used to call him my little gingy. :) gingy & white. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome, thanks, guys!

I finally named the kittens this weekend.

Torbie: Henna

Gray/white: Shiloh

Cream: Ronan

Brown tabby: Ebony

Calico: Mosaic

Black/white: Treble

Glad I can actually use names for them now instead of referring to them by color. :)

Was talking to a couple potential owners today (coworkers). There's a general misconception, at least especially around here, that 6 weeks is old enough to re-home kittens, and I'm not very good at arguing with people. I wasn't planning on re-homing until 10 weeks, but if I allow myself being talked down to 8 weeks (and absolutely no sooner, and only if the kitten is 100% weaned), would it be so bad? I can understand people not wanting to miss the cute kitten stage and wanting to introduce their kitten to other pets early on (especially dogs, since my ability to socialize them with dogs is limited considering I nor anyone in my family has a dog). Wanted to know the cons and other concerns of this. Beyond my non-combative nature anyway, I tend to get countered with people saying they have gotten other kittens at 6 weeks and they turned out just fine. Sigh. If I can give concrete examples, I might be better at arguing it.

Alternatively, if 8 weeks is too early, would extended visitations to their new home to get them used to the new environment and dog be okay? Theoretically, that would let the new owners get to see their kitten while its still tiny and get a good relationship going on with the dog and also allow the kitten to still benefit from being around mom/littermates. Or is this a terrible idea and would it just stress out and confuse the kitten and the littermates?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many behavior problems are alleviated when the kittens stay with mom for 10-12 weeks.  Biting, scratching, excessive suckling . . .  Check out the behavior forum.  The kittens will still be small and kittenish at 12 weeks.  We adopted Eclipse at 12 weeks and he was only 3 lbs, now 13+lbs.  

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Visitation is definitely not a good idea. Way too confusing and distressing. Kittens that are rehomed at an appropriate age are also more confident and able to integrate.

8 weeks is the absolute minimum, but 10-12 weeks is much better. This is because kittens learn from their mom and litter mates how to play nicely, how to use the litter box, and groom, to name a few things. Kittens who are taken too early have lots of behavioral issues.

I would recommend putting your foot down. The right owners will wait.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
While 10 weeks is preferred, if it means these kittens possibly missing out on a home, 8 weeks will suffice.

Will kittens have received their first round of vaccines before going to their new homes? (I can't remember.) Regardless, kittens should be kept separate from new cats until 2 weeks after their first round of vaccines as this is how long it takes the their bodies to accept the vaccine. My vets suggest that kittens be kept separate from any cat that goes outside until they have received both Leukemia boosters. (This isn't something I'm very familiar with as we don't adopt out to homes where there are indoor/outdoor cats, with few exceptions.)

Be sure to talk to potential new owners about how to introduce kittens to any existing pets.
Here are good articles to provide:
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

If the kittens will be going to a home where they will be the only pet, I'd try to hold off on sending them until 10 weeks. It really does make a difference in overall socialization and proper manners. Plus, they are mature enough to be separated by then.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While 10 weeks is preferred, if it means these kittens possibly missing out on a home, 8 weeks will suffice.

Will kittens have received their first round of vaccines before going to their new homes? (I can't remember.) Regardless, kittens should be kept separate from new cats until 2 weeks after their first round of vaccines as this is how long it takes the their bodies to accept the vaccine. My vets suggest that kittens be kept separate from any cat that goes outside until they have received both Leukemia boosters. (This isn't something I'm very familiar with as we don't adopt out to homes where there are indoor/outdoor cats, with few exceptions.)

Be sure to talk to potential new owners about how to introduce kittens to any existing pets.
Here are good articles to provide:
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

If the kittens will be going to a home where they will be the only pet, I'd try to hold off on sending them until 10 weeks. It really does make a difference in overall socialization and proper manners. Plus, they are mature enough to be separated by then.
I believe the OP was open to keeping all of the kittens if needed, so I think she can afford to be picky. Let me know if I'm wrong!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If that's the case, then Cataria will need to decide if she is ok if the prospective adopter backs out.

I personally don't care for individuals pushing to adopt young kittens; but, kittens get adopt out at 8 weeks of age every day and many of these do fine and without major behavioral issues. Part of this is dependent upon individual kitten personality and another is on how well they are socialized/trained up to time of adoption.

With that said, I am a proponent of (most) kittens being homed at 10 weeks of age (that's the age we adopt out kittens out, but our rescue is certainly not the norm in our area.)

C Cataria , if you do not feel the kittens are ready to be separated and homed as they reach the 8 week point, I wouldn't send them. I've had kittens that were very confident and clearly ready for their new home at 8 weeks, whereas I've had others that weren't and these babies often stayed with us until they were 12 weeks old.

Don't let someone force you to make a decision you aren't comfortable with.

Also to add...
I agree with talkingpeanut that "play dates" aren't a good idea. The kitten will smell different when it comes back and the others may not accept them back.

In regards to the kitten(s) going to a home with a dog...
The kitten needs to be confident in the home and with new owners BEFORE even considering introducing them. I typically don't even consider introducing a kitten to a dog until the kitten is 12 weeks of age (yes, there are exceptions to the rule, but rarely when placing a kitten in a new home.) A dog can seriously injure a tiny kitten.

What I DO suggest is allowing potential adopters to visit with the kittens at your house, in their comfortable environment. The more comfortable the kitten is with a new owner prior to changing environment, the easier the transition often is.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, go browse the articles here.  There are several that the new owners would find interesting.  Perhaps you could write down the URLs for them, or, if you have a printer, print out a couple...An "Adoptive Parents' Manual," so to speak.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read every post with interest and have loved the pics! I haven't had kittens to play with for eight years, I need to live through others!

I felt too much of an urge to post an opinion about the age of adoption though. You are in the position to be picky, although I wish everyone was more so.

As I read my hackles went up about people pushing you to wean early (doesn't have to be nursing, weaning is a socialization issue also). If they aren't willing to do what is best for the kittens now, will they in the future? That kind of attitude doesn't sound like people who end up taking proper care of any animal. Just my opinion, but that would be one way I would choose adoptive homes.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for all the information, everyone!
Visitation is definitely not a good idea. Way too confusing and distressing.
Got ya, thanks! Never tried it with kittens/new owners, so wasn't sure. My cats do tend to do a bit of traveling to other people's houses (I take some of  them to visit my family, my grandmother, and my friends), but never did it with an actual litter of kittens, separated or otherwise.
Still trying to work out my plans on this, but tentatively, there's a low cost spay/neuter clinic about an hour's drive away on June 14th that I would like to take Camo and all of the kittens to -- I am confirming with the clinic that they have space for 7 more surgeries. The cost of the spay/neuter also includes distemper and rabies vaccine (which Camo already has). The kittens will be just over ten weeks old at that time, so for any potential new owners, that should also be a good enough excuse to have them let me keep them until 10-11 weeks.

I personally have never gotten my cats the feline leukemia vaccine, should I? All of my cats are negative and indoor only, and any strays I take in I keep separated until I am sure of their status. Is this enough, or would you recommend that I start getting it for them? In any case, I will make sure any potential owners with indoor/outdoor cats know this, but I would much prefer they go to indoors only homes.
I believe the OP was open to keeping all of the kittens if needed, so I think she can afford to be picky. Let me know if I'm wrong!
Nope, that's correct, at least so far! I am happy to keep them as long as I feel I can give them the proper care and attention and that they are not negatively affecting my other cats. So far, they aren't overwhelming me yet and the only issue I have been having isn't really the kittens, but Camo; she alternates between being lukewarm-friendly to the other cats then goes into mamma bear mode. Based on her behavior pre-kitten-birth and her general amicability I honestly think the situation will straighten itself out once the mother hormones wear off and she gets fixed, but if my other cats hold a grudge I might have to reintroduce her as if she is a new cat again.
Actually, go browse the articles here.  There are several that the new owners would find interesting.  Perhaps you could write down the URLs for them, or, if you have a printer, print out a couple...An "Adoptive Parents' Manual," so to speak.
Great idea, thanks!
As I read my hackles went up about people pushing you to wean early (doesn't have to be nursing, weaning is a socialization issue also). If they aren't willing to do what is best for the kittens now, will they in the future? That kind of attitude doesn't sound like people who end up taking proper care of any animal. Just my opinion, but that would be one way I would choose adoptive homes.
Honestly, I would tend to agree with you, but I personally know a lot of otherwise very good cat owners that suffer from misinformation. They've "always" known that kittens get re-homed at six weeks, and cats like to drink cow's milk, and female cats aren't friendly until after they have had a litter of kittens, cats have to be declawed (don't worry, that's a no-kitten-for-you determinator for sure)... I could go on. I say what I can to correct them, but a lot of people don't like to be challenged in things they've known to be true for longer than I've been alive, and in many cases, I'm uncomfortable with arguing when they have shown they have no interest in listening.

As long as I can mitigate the things that might make them not-the-best kitten owners (like taking them too early, making sure they get fixed before they have a litter), and filter out the ones that might make permanent consequence bad decisions no matter what I say (like declawing), I know some of the people I've talked to are excellent cat owners -- love their pets, regularly take them to the vet, etc. -- so I don't want to completely discount them on the basis of things that won't matter past the first few months anyway.

Last edited:

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
People that you know, personally, that you know, from experience, are great pet people, I do understand that.
I've become so cynical about people, it's sad. If I don't know someone myself, I have trouble believing. Dealing with people you know gives you the chance to stay in touch and watch your babies grow up, knowing they are in good hands.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for all the information, everyone!

Got ya, thanks! Never tried it with kittens/new owners, so wasn't sure. My cats do tend to do a bit of traveling to other people's houses (I take some of  them to visit my family, my grandmother, and my friends), but never did it with an actual litter of kittens, separated or otherwise.

Still trying to work out my plans on this, but tentatively, there's a low cost spay/neuter clinic about an hour's drive away on June 14th that I would like to take Camo and all of the kittens to -- I am confirming with the clinic that they have space for 7 more surgeries. The cost of the spay/neuter also includes distemper and rabies vaccine (which Camo already has). The kittens will be just over ten weeks old at that time, so for any potential new owners, that should also be a good enough excuse to have them let me keep them until 10-11 weeks.

I personally have never gotten my cats the feline leukemia vaccine, should I? All of my cats are negative and indoor only, and any strays I take in I keep separated until I am sure of their status. Is this enough, or would you recommend that I start getting it for them? In any case, I will make sure any potential owners with indoor/outdoor cats know this, but I would much prefer they go to indoors only homes.

Nope, that's correct, at least so far! I am happy to keep them as long as I feel I can give them the proper care and attention and that they are not negatively affecting my other cats. So far, they aren't overwhelming me yet and the only issue I have been having isn't really the kittens, but Camo; she alternates between being lukewarm-friendly to the other cats then goes into mamma bear mode. Based on her behavior pre-kitten-birth and her general amicability I honestly think the situation will straighten itself out once the mother hormones wear off and she gets fixed, but if my other cats hold a grudge I might have to reintroduce her as if she is a new cat again.

Great idea, thanks!

Honestly, I would tend to agree with you, but I personally know a lot of otherwise very good cat owners that suffer from misinformation. They've "always" known that kittens get re-homed at six weeks, and cats like to drink cow's milk, and female cats aren't friendly until after they have had a litter of kittens, cats have to be declawed (don't worry, that's a no-kitten-for-you determinator for sure)... I could go on. I say what I can to correct them, but a lot of people don't like to be challenged in things they've known to be true for longer than I've been alive, and in many cases, I'm uncomfortable with arguing when they have shown they have no interest in listening.

As long as I can mitigate the things that might make them not-the-best kitten owners (like taking them too early, making sure they get fixed before they have a litter), and filter out the ones that might make permanent consequence bad decisions no matter what I say (like declawing), I know some of the people I've talked to are excellent cat owners -- love their pets, regularly take them to the vet, etc. -- so I don't want to completely discount them on the basis of things that won't matter past the first few months anyway.
Absolutely! I also believe that anyone who is going to fight with you on one of your rules moves themselves into the no category. If they are willing to learn and listen that's great.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Long time, no update, but the kittens are ten weeks old now! Look at my adorable kitten pile. XD

However, even though they are ten weeks old, they keep doing this:

Should I discourage them from nursing, or should I wait for Camo to decide that she's had enough? They are eating regular food, they just really want to nurse too... and I think Camo is still calling for them to come do so as well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it's normal. Mom will eventually discourage them from nursing when she's ready for them to stop. Mine nursed for about 16 weeks!

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would not worry about it unless it was dragging Cameo down. As long as she has good weight and is healthy. You are doing such a great job!