Sebastian is Back at the Vet...Suspected Pancreatitis Again :(

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tnk you! He is right beside me rolling around. I swear all week every time anyone looks his way he drops and rolls. Good luck with the Holistic vet!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was looking online for someone trained in Chinese medicine that does phone consults, but this is difficult when I'm starting at zero. I found one in South Carolina.
I would highly recommend you contacting, via phone consult, Dr. Gerald Wessner in Florida - alternative medicine (not sure about Chinese). His wife answers the phone and her name is Blair. 352-245-2025 There is no way my dog, :heart3: Wilbur :heart3: would have made it another two years without his intervention. He works closely with my animal communicator, Ellen Kohn, as well. He is an extremely gifted veterinarian animal communicator via phone. He charges per 10 or 15 minutes and I think it is $20.00. You would first call Blair to set up the phone consult and have things prepared to discuss ahead of time. Have a plan outlining Sebatian's health. Of course, you can make this as short or long a phone call you want. My first consult was 40 minutes! After that, check ups were only about 15 - 25 minutes. He does use energy and I always had my hand on Wilbur or he was near when we had on consults. I am so grateful that I found him - Wilbur actually had some really, really good months after receiving his treatments. Truly was a miracle for my boy. He will send you any homeopathics and supplements via mail and they are extremely and surprisingly inexpensive. Check out the website and you can always call and talk with Blair first. She is really sweet!! And, Dr. Wessner IS really amazing.

http://holisticvetclinic.net/

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :rub: Sebastian.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much for the information, @Feralvr! I will definitely check him out.

I guess I'm just not sure what to do now. I don't know if I should keep the appointment with the local holistic vet, or try to utilize someone long distance. If I had money to throw away and spend freely, I'd do both, but I'd rather get the most "bang for the buck" so that I can allocate funds towards diet, treatments, supplements...whatever.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know what? I've worked with Ellen. Her energy work is amazing. I couldn't say that before, because I wasn't sure how much it helped Lazlo, or if it was the chemo working. But Spooky has had a flare-up of her cystitis, and I contacted Ellen. She had some personal things going on, and couldn't do anything until later in the month. But this past weekend, Spooky suddenly got better. She stopped complaining, she stopped peeing in the bathroom, and she stopped screaming at Chumley. Gary and I both commented on how strange it was.

And then I got a note from Ellen. She started her energy work on Spooky on Friday.

Do you hear the Twilight Zone music playing?

:lol3:

But we've talked about Dr. Wessner and how he does what he does, and she's explained to me how she does her healing stuff.... and given consulting with Dr. Wessner, if you get the information lined up that you want to communicate, and the questions you have for him.... it will cost less, and won't stress Sebastian AT ALL.

AND? Homeopathic remedies are SO dilute, they simply cannot harm him. The worst is that they don't do anything. There are lawsuits galore over homeopathic stuff, because it so diluted down, that basically the formula contains "the essence" of the stuff.

So given it would cause Sebastian no stress, cannot cause him any harm, and all that happens at worst is that you waste the equivalent of the first consult with the homeopathic vet, at least you'll know you don't want to pursue homeopathy. But without the stress.

:dk:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your thoughts, @LDG. Let me mull this over. 
  I have to figure out what I'm going to do because the local holistic vet is expecting Sebastian's records from me.

On a side note, I never thought that what I coat Sebastian's gel caps with would be so frickin' important. I stopped using butter (possible irritant) and switched to canola oil. But the canola oil was too liquidy and most of it dripped off. I searched my kitchen thinking, "Okay, I need something kind of thick, slippery like butter, that won't bother his stomach..." AH HA! Duh! I have coconut oil, which is semi-solid at room temperature, and melts ever so slightly on my fingers to mimic the consistency of butter. Perfect. This has been working marvelously, and I have not observed any adverse reactions. FWIW.

Also, I've piqued my boyfriend's interest in the quality of my tap water, so we're looking into getting it tested. It's very strange that there has been ZERO vomiting in my house from ANYONE since I've changed the water. There's usually something from one of them (hairball, regurgitation from eating too fast, etc.). Coincidence?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you are right about the tap water. I just read an older blog the other day (sorry, didn't bookmark it!) about someone who's dog was going nuts with "allergies," and they tried everything: steroids, limited ingredient diets, z/d type stuff, raw.... nothing worked. They went on vacation to their summer house, with well water, and the allergies went away. BINGO. So yeah, water can make a BIG difference.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just catching up with the thread now.

My integrated vet charged me $85 for initial consult. (Wow, he seems cheap now.) Prevailing rate for a traditional vet is $50/office visit. He did hone in on Poppy's IBD right away, though, when all the other vets were telling me stupid stuff like she just got tired of her food. I felt the extra $ was worth it because I got a diagnosis faster. He did also mention to me that cats do not take to Chinese herbs very well because of the bitterness. I never did any Chinese herbs with Poppy that would test that statement.

Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. You might consider giving it more regularly.

lbailey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On the subject of water, what about Mountain Valley Spring water, in the green glass liter bottles... I gave this water to my cat.  Good choice?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh you are right about the tap water. I just read an older blog the other day (sorry, didn't bookmark it!) about someone who's dog was going nuts with "allergies," and they tried everything: steroids, limited ingredient diets, z/d type stuff, raw.... nothing worked. They went on vacation to their summer house, with well water, and the allergies went away. BINGO. So yeah, water can make a BIG difference.
Adding to this thought on water. Dr. Wessner told us to get a Reverse Osmosis filtering system. Also, add 1/4 tsp. Evaporated Celtic Sea Salt to a gallon of water for Wilbur's drinking water. After we moved, I kept up with the same protocol. The difference was that we now had Lake Michigan water. I noticed that Wilbur was not drinking as copiously as he had been back in IL and seemed to not be so nauseous. :dk: Made me wonder IF there was something in the city water back in IL that was causing him great thirst and stomach probs.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

He did also mention to me that cats do not take to Chinese herbs very well because of the bitterness.

Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. You might consider giving it more regularly.
Thanks for sharing! I did read about Chinese herbs being more difficult for cats. As to the coconut oil, how much of it would be needed for it's anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties?

On the subject of water, what about Mountain Valley Spring water, in the green glass liter bottles... I gave this water to my cat.  Good choice?
I'm not sure. I think brands of water vary by region. I'm not sure I've seen Mountain Valley where I live.
Adding to this thought on water. Dr. Wessner told us to get a Reverse Osmosis filtering system.
I currently buy gallon water that is purified by reverse osmosis. Would this be the same thing?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The purified water would only be affected by the container.

As to the Chinese herbs and getting them in the cat, we did have to go through a few options with Chumley at first, because I didn't want to pill him, so we had to work through to find options he'd eat hidden in a pill pocket. :nod: So while the herbs can be more (much more) of a problem than homeopathics, the flip side to that is that there are usually multiple different options / formulations to try.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for sharing! I did read about Chinese herbs being more difficult for cats. As to the coconut oil, how much of it would be needed for it's anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties?
This article recommends 1/4 tsp. 2x daily.

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.com/2012/02/coconut-oil-is-good-for-your-dogs.html

I was in a Yahoo! group for feline constipation and I think they recommended 1/4 tsp 2x daily and working up to 1/2 tsp. 2x daily, but don't quote me on that.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes...the plastic container. 

I'll keep that in mind with the Chinese herbs. I feel like I already pill Sebastian enough and would hate to add in more pilling sessions.

Thanks for the link, @Raintyger. I would say that Sebastian is probably getting about 1/8 tsp. of coconut oil twice a day when I form it around his gel cap, so I'll stick with this for now and make sure it doesn't bother him.

Question for you all about stomach acid...is it typically more prevalent in the mornings? I give him his morning meds first (which includes Pepcid). Then I feed him wet food in 1/8 can increments (yes, meal times take forever). The first 1/8 he doesn't beg for it. He'll just wait quietly, not overly excited, sometimes this is accompanied by sitting in the meatloaf position while he waits (which makes me nervous). He'll eat the entire first 1/8, wake away, and go clean his face. When he comes back for the next 1/8, he is screaming for it, meowing like crazy, doing crazy eights in between my legs, etc. Makes me wonder if he's got stomach acid in the morning, and he feels better once the Pepcid kicks in and he eats that first 1/8. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, more acid in the morning, because for most cats, it's the longest time between meals. I've taken to feeding all of mine a bite of freeze dried chicken breast before their meal. Then I prep it and put it out. Lazlo, the only one really affected, eats more enthusiastically this way. I give him the pepcid at night, last thing before I head for bed. It works for 24 hour coverage (supposedly) if you give it at least an hour after a meal (and an hour before a meal).

iloveprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting observation regarding higher stomach acid in the morning. Let us know if Sebastian eats more eagerly if you change his pepcid routine. Ugh, the dreaded meatloaf position. I used to love when Tigger sat like that, now it scares me. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks @LDG and @iLovePrincess. Sebastian was only getting 1/4 tablet of Pepcid once daily. But after his last flare, the vet wanted me to up it to 1/4 tablet twice daily (AM and PM), so that is what I have been doing for the past 3+ weeks. It does seem like he needs a little "kick start" when there's a longer time period in between meals.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I currently buy gallon water that is purified by reverse osmosis. Would this be the same thing?

The purified water would only be affected by the container.
I also used bottled RO water but Dr. Wessner recommended get the system installed at home. As Laurie mentioned, bottled water can be "iffy" if not handled and stored properly.

Be sure to check with your holistic vet before using this type of water for Sebastian. Or you may have already. :dk: One reason is because RO demineralizes the water. Trace minerals are vital. All water from natural sources has some mineral content. If it is removed regularly, digestive problems and nutritional deficiencies can occur and I am certain you already know all of this. :lol3: Probably know more than me on the subject!! :D

More of these for Sebastian :vibes: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Gilded Owl Jewelry here coming over from my google post about Cheeky. 

I'll keep watch to see how the poor guy is doing. Just enjoy every day that you can. Try not to drive yourself crazy. But you will. We all do anything humanly possible to help. 

I came up with this idea about pilling a cat that helped me get thru the nasty IBD. I was able to get awful stuff without a hitch. 

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?bl...onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=25;src=postname

Helped me lots, hope it helps someone else. 

Hugs & strength to anyone going through this.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also used bottled RO water but Dr. Wessner recommended get the system installed at home. As Laurie mentioned, bottled water can be "iffy" if not handled and stored properly.

Be sure to check with your holistic vet before using this type of water for Sebastian. Or you may have already.
One reason is because RO demineralizes the water. Trace minerals are vital. All water from natural sources has some mineral content. If it is removed regularly, digestive problems and nutritional deficiencies can occur and I am certain you already know all of this.
Probably know more than me on the subject!!

More of these for Sebastian
I remember quite some time ago there were discussions about this with distilled water.  Some people swore by giving distilled water to kitties with chronic digestive issues and other said that would create problems.

felyne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem with distilled water is it lacks minerals. You'd have to add them back. .