Say hello to Boris Part 2

i am furniture

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
>Boris says....Open up and say Ahhhhhh

>Psssst, hey, I gotta secret to tell ya

>Hey, what do you want me to do with this thing??

Those were great shots, I love taking pictures of my cat Lightning yawning. The paw over his mouth is priceless, such a great picture.

Thanks !!!!!!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are blessed to be able to share your lives with your amazing cats. Beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they wake me up at 5 or 5:30am and I get to sleep in that day, I sometimes think to myself. Am I truly blessed?
Well, I would have it no other way, even when they are jumping on the bed and on my head to wake me up and feed them or when they run around the house knocking things over or like yesterday, when Amber SPRAYED me to claim me as hers

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

When they wake me up at 5 or 5:30am and I get to sleep in that day, I sometimes think to myself. Am I truly blessed?
Well, I would have it no other way, even when they are jumping on the bed and on my head to wake me up and feed them or when they run around the house knocking things over or like yesterday, when Amber SPRAYED me to claim me as hers
Talk about mixed feelings!!
But how flattering!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few updates on the kids

Boris says, this heat is making me sleepy.

Hey Boris, this spot by the window is nice and cool

Awwww, close up of Amber

Terri and Boris. Not that great of a picture, but you get the idea

And now, for you Aurora the Pixie Bob fans, here she is

Nap time

I just love the look on her face here

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They're gorgeous as always, John. Especially love that last one of Aurora -- it doesn't get any sweeter!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

They're gorgeous as always, John. Especially love that last one of Aurora -- it doesn't get any sweeter!
I know, she has that.."I love you" look in her eyes

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'm probably a bit late.. but I like the name Luther for the new bobcat :p

some other names:

Arnold (arnie)
Buck
Bartholemew (bart)
Jackson (or jack)
Arthur
Donald

Some C names:

Caleb
Cassius
CHester
Chuck
Conner
Curtis

and oh there are so many more!!!

I really think he looks like a Luther though

My second choice would be Bartholemew though :p

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you for all the name advice
With the names that beginn with "C", I too thought of Chester. Well, my wife and I went to visit "Bob" again today. He should be here within 2 weeks time or sooner
We spent a good amount of time with him and he even let me get very close to him while he was eating. So, it sure looks like we have been accepted by him as his new friends
As for the name, you are not late. However, even though I am not to fond of the name "Bob" for him, I was wondering. Bob is now his second name. The lady who has him now, changed the name from the one the abusive owner's gave him. So, since we will now be his 3rd home (this will be his final move, he no longer has to worry with us. He is going to be loved and spoiled
) I was wondering if it would be a good idea just to keep the name Bob. He now associates that name with the people who love him and treat him like he should be treated. I also feel for the lady who has him now. She is going to miss him terribly when he is gone.(We can thank the wonderful state of New York and their useless BAN laws for this) Well, I have some new pictures of Bob, so here he is

Bob says hey, look what I have for dinner...Pheasant!!

Mmmmm yummm, this is soooo good

Is he enjoying this or what?

I'm all done, what now?

Yeah, this is it. Some nice fresh after dinner catnip

We also made some new friends today too

What a cute little baby

Another little one

janemary

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
John, your cats are magnificent..

Just plain magnificent, honestly thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the only word that comes to mind when I see them. I LOVE seeing pictures of Amber and Boris, AND aurora too!

Amber and Boris have such large paws, I hope someday I can see a bob cat in person!

Just a question, how much do they eat in the run of a day? From their size I would imagine they eat you out of house and home
! I know my cats do and they are collectively only 15 pounds!

Thanks for sharing all the pictures, and congrats on the new addition!

daidreamer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JaneMary

John, your cats are magnificent..

Just plain magnificent, honestly thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the only word that comes to mind when I see them
I second that. This is the first time I seen these picture, They are amazing

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a question, how much do they eat in the run of a day? From their size I would imagine they eat you out of house and home ! I know my cats do and they are collectively only 15 pounds!
Well, since we feed them raw whole chicken with bone (note that this is raw chicken, not cooked. It is dangerous to give them cooked chicken bones because they, the bones, become brittle, but raw ones are not brittle. They must have the bone for the proper calcium intake). You can get chicken quite cheep when compared to premium cat foods for domestics. I feed our domestics Eukanuba and when you look at the price, it is approx $2.00 per pound and I can get chicken for under $1.00 per pound. They do eat a lot and it also changes depending on the weather. When it gets hot, like it is now, they normally cut back on their eating, but Amber and Boris have increased their food intake at the moment. Boris is still a kitten at 13 months of age, so he is still growing. On average, each will eat a whole chicken leg and a wing in the morning and at night. So, that is 4 legs and 4 wings per day on average, there are days when it is more. We also feed them the chicken gizards, hearts and livers once or twice per week and Amber will eat some of the Eukanuba as well, however, that is not her main diet. All the raw meat is also supplemented with vitamins designed for exotic cats. We watched Bob eat 2 whole pheasants while we were visiting him yesterday. So, I better stock up on more chicken before he gets here

I am happy that you enjoy the pictures. I enjoy sharing our experiences with our exotic cats with everyone here. So, if there is something else you would like to see, please let me know. I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have as well
Through these experiences I share with you, I hope everyone understands that private exotic cat ownership should be allowed to continue, as long as you are dedicated, caring and responsible, to protect the well being of the animal and for the safety of the public. I am not trying to promote the idea that exotic cat ownership is for everyone, it is not. My goal is to educate people on responsible exotic cat ownership, so we can keep or rights to own and live with such wonderful creatures. If BAN laws on private ownership are allowed to continue, this will surely spell the end for many of these beautiful cats. I strongly feel, that in the not to distant future, the only place you will be able to see many wild cats will be in private collections. Many will be eliminated from the wild, if the destruction of their habitat continues and if humans continue to hunt and kill them for their fur and other body parts. Remember, EXTINCTION is forever

janemary

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info!

I think you're right, Bob seems to like those pheasants!

How much do Amber and Boris weigh? and how big do you think they will get? Will there ever be a time when they are too big for the house?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just so interested in them! We don't have any exotic BobCats here on PEI, or at least I don't think we do

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much do Amber and Boris weigh? and how big do you think they will get? Will there ever be a time when they are too big for the house
Well, I have not weighed them for a few months. Amber has not gained much weight, she is still long and lanky. In fact, she needs to put on weight, she was 23 pounds the last time I weighed her, but she seems to stay very slim. She has tested negative for parasites. She is almost 2 years old and will be mature at 3, so she has another year to go. Boris, who is now 13 months old, weighed 24 pounds at the same time and he still has another 2 years to go. With these Bobcats, the northern bobs, females weigh from 30-40 pounds and males weigh 40-55 pounds. However, there are always exceptions to this rule. Amber's dad weighed over 60 pounds and some have been known to go as high as 70 pounds. They will be ok in the house, it not like having something as big as a cougar running around inside. A cat that big must have an outdoor enclosure. We have a friend who has a northwestern cougar male who weighs over 200 pounds!!
Never hesitate to ask questions. The more you ask the more you learn. I am always more than willing to answer questions

janemary

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! But 30-40lbs is still a LOT! I can only imagine what Amber's father looked like, he would have been HUGE

Do the cats ever snuggle in bed? My cats always find a roosting spot at the end of my bed, and sometimes migrate up towards my head!

And, are they spayed and neutered or are you allowed to breed them? Not that you would necessarily want to breed them, just curious!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do the cats ever snuggle in bed? My cats always find a roosting spot at the end of my bed, and sometimes migrate up towards my head!
They do sleep in the bed, but only during the very cold winter days. Since these bobcats are northern bobcats, they came from Montana, they do not like the heat. In fact, you would think we had dogs here, because they walk around the house with their tongues hanging out of their mouths panting. If they do sleep in the bed however, the do not cuddle with us like our domestic cats do, they usually sleep on your feet keeping them nice and warm
They give off a lot of heat too. You pet them or try to hold them and you can just feel the body heat radiating off them.
And, are they spayed and neutered or are you allowed to breed them? Not that you would necessarily want to breed them, just curious!
Yes, they are spayed and neutered. Bob, the 3 year old boy we will be adopting, is not neutered, so he will get that done. I do have a vet who does work with exotics. Yes, if we wanted to, we could breed them, but you need to get a USDA license for that. However Amber, Boris and Bob are our exotic companions, we have no interest in breeding them to make money. Bobcats are quite fierce when the breed and have been known to kill each other in the process, I would not want that to happen to any of our bobs. There is much less chance of this happening in the wild however.