Savannahs (opinions, please)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Man forces the cats to breed by caging them. And some wild cats have a longer gestation period which can kill a domestic cat (or a shorter one).
They either breed or they don't right?
You aren't "forcing" 2 animals to breed just by caging two different species together, in many cases that won't work no matter how close of quarters. They will either breed themselves naturally or won't. Other factors come into play, like stress and so on. Sometimes two of the same species won't even successfully breed if the conditions are not right.

Placing two animals together and them eventually choosing to breed is different than say artificial insemination. That would be forced IMO.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe forced was not the right choice of words. I meant that in the natural wild where there are no cages, the domestic cats and wild cats would not breed. In most cases the wild cat would probably kill the domestic.

If you have a group of feral domestic cats and a bobcat/lynx comes around - he will not mate naturally with the females in the group. It happens once in a while - not on a regular basis.

But if man steps in and confines the two together, then it would be more likely for them to breed. A Serval and a domestic would not naturally breed if they were totally free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

Yes the OP did ask for opinions, didn't they? I'm sure she wasn't prepared for that, and doesn't do it again. She will probley word it better in the future sticking to asking for acurate info and not personal opinions, if she even dears to ask any one again
You're right, I did ask for opinions.
As for the way Savannahs are bred, I haven't talked to a specific breeder about them. I just thought maybe someone on this site might have some personal experience with Savannahs and be able to enlighten me a little as to what it's like to live with them and how they interact with dosmetic pets. I don't have children in the house, so I don't have to worry as much as far as possible safety issues in that aspect. (And this is not a slur against exotics, I would not feel comfortable allowing a child around my 6 lb. DSH Daisy, either.)

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a guy who has an F3 Savannah (I know him through the net so I've never met the cat in person).

The cat is gorgeous and apparently fun to be around. Very energetic and active, the guy also has a small dog and him and the cat get along great and play fight a fair bit.

I know he can't let the cat have free range of the house unsupervised because the cat gets destructive when bored so whenever the cat is left alone it's closed off in the 'cat room' which is filled with cat toys and cat trees and a window to look out of etc.

He's also said that he doesn't think he could handle having two Savannahs (when someone asked if a second cat was planned).

Personally I'd stay away from the F1 and F2s I think they're too much feline for most people to handle. F3s and onwards I think is probably manageable but you have to do research first and decide if you're prepared to live with a very high energy feline that will ruin your chances of having a tidy and polished home. Which is what you're doing now so that's great

As for the wild cat blood in current cat breeds etc, I have a bengal so that pretty much sais where I stand in the matter.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

It's called evolution.

Evolution doesn't have to come by chance, it can be invoked.
But is it right to invoke changes that may otherwise take millions of years if they happened at all?

Dont get me wrong, I love the exotic cats, just pondering things

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you've purchased 2 sphynx. Certainly not a breed that would ever evolve naturally and survive without the care of human beings.

So yes I do think it's right to meddle with mother nature within reason.
Of course everyone's definition of "within reason" will differ.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Well, you've purchased 2 sphynx. Certainly not a breed that would ever evolve naturally and survive without the care of human beings.

So yes I do think it's right to meddle with mother nature within reason.
Of course everyone's definition of "within reason" will differ.
Touche! LOL You are correct there, no doubt.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I love that Zebra Horse combination. I think breeders should persue it. Could you imagine owning and riding a horse that looks like the above picture? If I had the money, I would really try to persue the breed.