Sasha got mauled--head trauma

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think a hooded litter will work- only because Sasha is going to want to see and make sure he isn't going to be ambushed. Instead, I would elevate his litter pan somehow, high enough that he feels secure- as he did on your make-up tray. Putting it up on the counter is unpleasant, but until he can work through his fear it may be what he needs. This way it puts him up high so he can see all around and if you can somehow put a wall to the back of the box so nothing will sneak up on him that would help him as well.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elizabeth, it is wonderful that you and Sasha have such a great bond that he is able to tell you his story. He is a real survivor and sweetheart and he is fully on the road to recovery, there is no doubt about that.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WOW!! What a revelation! I wouldn't for a minute doubt that Sasha is telling you what happened -- and very much in the context of "Mom, how can I ever feel safe again? Please can you help me be safe, Mom?"

I like the idea of putting a litter box up where he can see that there's no danger -- even backing it into a corner of a counter, so that there are 2 sides no danger can come from, but it's still in the open.

What a great little trooper he is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he really did tell me. The pumpkin patch is in a raised, square bed. He pees and poops in there all the time, it's HIS place. He chose my bathroom tray because he knows it's MY place and it's square and contained - like he had to get my attention so I could make the connection seeing him in a rectangle or square in something that was mine. This is why he is now so traumatized to pee! I have been thinking about it ALL day and of course, my family thinks I'm a big huge wingnut, but come talk to Sasha.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More wonderful news about Sasha's continued recovery!
What great advice about the litter box! Look forward to knowing how this works in giving him the security he needs. Sorry your family doesn't fully support your communication with Sasha, but we here find your relationship to be absolutely beautiful.
I feel Sierra understands me better than anyone and am thankful for our communication.
Many days, I have my best conversations with her!
Stephanie

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brilliant news. I read about the hooded litter and at first it did sound like a good, safe idea. But then I thought again and perhaps not as Sasha would not be able to see all the way round.
Its no wonder poor Sasha couldnt pee - peeing meant coyote attack! I guess its obvious when you know!
I know in time Sashas wounds will heal but it will take longer for the phycological scars. Hang on in there all of you - we are here sending healing vibes and good thoughts every day.
Alexis

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are dealing with all of this so brilliantly.
Sasha is a beaut! Together you can't miss, what a lovely special relationship you have.

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome News
I am so glad to hear that Sasha is doing better. I do think that he was telling you what happened to him in his own way and it's great that you have such a special relationship with him that you knew what he was trying to tell you. Sasha I admire you man
You keep getting better we are all praying for you.

gus's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I am so far behind here. I'm so glad to hear Sasha survived his tangle, so many kitties in my neighborhood haven't been so lucky. I'm happy that he's making such great progress, your extra special love and attention are making all the difference.

spike

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for sharing your story of Sasha's recovery..

Its kitty cats all over the world who are in debt to owners like yourselves who go to great lengths with love of an animal that is reciprocated to ensure their safety and well being.

Keep up the great work . all the best from down under.. Robyn

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much to everyone (sasha is grateful too) and the representation on TCS from the Aussies is really super! Everyone down under has great ideas and incredible compassion, and thanks for the kitten glop recipe to help him eat and learn easier w/his new tongue.
Sasha's vet is a french doctor, Nicolle Boudreau from Halifax, Nova Scotia, who makes her home way out here in the Northwest and she's pretty brilliant. She will be giving him a complete re-exam on Saturday to monitor the tongue/eating issues and assess how he is progessing with the neuroloigcal ones, and also the psychological one to help him pee, just overall healing. We try to be very thorough and make a list of questions beforehand to nail all the items so we don't fret over forgetting to ask certain things - how many times have we all done that!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate it when that happens. You go to the doctor and they tell you something and you say ok, and leave. Then in the car ride home you think of a million questions you should have asked.
I am so glad that Sasha is doing so much better. You are such a good mommy to him and he is just a miracle.
Give him lots of kisses from me and I am still keeping him in my prayers that he continues along with his recovery.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! OMG! Sasha pooped!!! He peed! first poop since the coyote attack and he did this on his own in his upstairs room w/the litter in the closet w/ the little sliding door so he would feel safe and not traumatized. OMG!! I have never been so excited about cat poop in my entire life. First time in 11 days! Major Major Breakthrough! Now, he just has gotta eat on his own with that awful tongue and start to move his right eye and not drool quite so much and we're almost there!!! OH YEAH BABY!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WAY TO GO, SASHA!!!

You have one terrific little kitty boy there, and that is splendid news! 'Course, his Mum's not too shabby, either, ya know -- you are doing so well with him -- I just know he feels your encouragement and love, and that's a big part of his progress.