Sasha got mauled--head trauma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, now I am really crying. This has been so overwhelming. To be honest, when I sat and read his letter for the first time (I 've now read it to almost everyone I know either over the phone or in emails) I started to break down. I think all the emotion and intensity of the past month just came out, which is good, but draining. It has been only 34 days and I remind myself and also Eric of that fact pretty much on a daily basis. No doubt, Sasha is very special, a remarkable cat, but every kitty on this site is special and we just love to look at all the photos under people's signatures and cat pages......he has his interests....
I did read him the personalized letter from Kimbulu and he actually strutted around with his chest puffed out (hair or not--it's growing back now from all the shaving in the ER) because he has an entire Aussie contingent behind him!

oh- what's this?? He's speaking......hold on.....hahahaha, Sasha says, "Hey, we've gotta get to that land down under, mama, they've got a whole lotta cute kittens goin' ON!'

hahahhahahaha

thanks, all!
Elizabeth
and Sasha

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great letter tania, and LOL at huggles!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, dear Sasha and Elizabeth, have another bucket o' tears

Wonderful response from Jackson, and Tania! Terrific letter! Thank you fro saying it for all of us.

Another "it just keeps getting better" story.

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Sasha is in ICU and stabilized. he was mauled by what we think is a coyote or wild dog 1:30 am Monday night. I heard it through the bedroom window, grabbed the shotgun, but was too late for the attack. His lower body sustained zero injury, he's 21 lbs and very strong and healthy. His esophagus has a tiny perforation and his had got very banged up, but no jaw or skill fracture on xray. The vet is keeping him to monitor the swelling. He was in shock, and is now out of the oxygen cube and breathing just fine, no evidence of lung or organ damage. The main issue is neurological.....and if anybody has any feedback?? We are hoping for 100% recovery but he's real loopy (and also on drugs) and his eyelids are not fluterring when the doctor touches them lightly. He is walking around just fine and no fever, urination good, but not eating yet. What will happen if he does not recover his neurological level? Does anyone have experience living with a slightly "slow" kitty - and what to make of it if this happens to him? Does anyone know if this kind of head trauma can heal - and does it change their personality? Sasha is very shy, loving, and sweet. I AM VERY NERVOUS at the moment, tons of anxiety, but he has the best care w/same team that did everything they could for Freddie's leukemia.
Bump. Let's see if this works...

Best-
Michele

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noni

Bump. Let's see if this works...

Best-
Michele
Michele! I am so touched you're here. I have no idea what Hissy has started...some secret code I believe.

Sasha's thread was started May 18 and the site has been restored to June 20 or so and he lived and recovered with lots of posts over the summer. I might update just so it's there. Perhaps I should. But you're such a doll. I think of your beautiful prose more than you know.

Elizabeth

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elizabeth and Sasha, not forgetting Eric
so glad to see that a lot of this thread survived. I like a lot of folk cried and laughed our way with you through the past few months. I dont think I would actually like to relive those moments again even through the written word

I did get to read you last post before the 'great crash' and I am thrilled that Sasha is on the up and up although it has really been a relatively short time (Freddie has a lot to do with that I am sure
)
Things can truly only get better.
Take care

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh Alexis, thank you so much for your support and kindness. I don't have any plans to relive it all again, it would take too much out of me, and 80% of his story there is just fine. I might summarize just a tad for anyone new, there's already one person who has asked me about some PTSD areas that Sasha showed later in the summer (lost), and the final outcome, but that's all. And yes, how you made my heart just beat so loud with pride, as I wholeheartedly agree that Freddie was watching over Sasha and making it so.