Sasha got mauled--head trauma

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, it looks like Mr. S has developed a case of TMJ......or a chance that there are some type of bone fragments that have loosened in his jaw and are swimming around. The coyote's fangs actually exited into his mouth, from above and below, if you can picture it, and Dr. B feels very strongly that now the swelling has completely abated and the soft tissue trauma has healed inside his mouth that his jaw possibly has slipped a bit because the inflated tissues had held it up or relatively in place until this point. Another cause of the TMJ is Sasha's intensive, time-consuming grooming and the workout it gives his jaw with the sideways angle of his tongue that isn't normal, and the pressure it continues to put on the jawline doing everything sideways.

What can be done? They aren't sure. They tell me coyote injuries such as this have rarely, if ever, been survived, so she is calling in the Medical Director and they will look at him under Xray and CT. If it is a dislocation of the jaw it might be able to be "popped" back into place, or if chronic TMJ then heat paks such as the one we've been using are really going to be the only answer...also smaller chunks of meat as the large chunks of fish are the only thing he can eat on his own right now. He does not show any signs of pain but we will watch him closely and go back on the syringe if need be.
<Explicative deleted> I hate that /beep/ beep /coyote. Where is my shotgun!
Lord!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. I have TMJ - for this human, I treat it with soft foods and tylenol and heat paks to the area where I have soreness and swelling.

I hope that this too will heal and pass away, Sasha has enough to deal with
I can well understand your

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know this is frustrating Elizabeth
But your brave little boy Sasha really is doing great! I haven't checked here in a few days and he is all ready eating on his own! Way to go Sasha!
I think it's safe to say everyone is still praying for him, and those prayers are being heard. The jaw is another small obstacle in Sasha's recovery, this he will beat as well.
You must be so proud of your boy!

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lets hope it is something that can be put right Elizabeth. Still praying for Sasha and yourself.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elizabeth, what a wonderful Mommy you are to observe this so quickly!
When will Sasha be seeing the Dr. for his X-rays? It could be as simple as his jaw simply being popped back into place. If it's something more signifigant, it's just one more hurdle we will see Sasha gluide gracefully across! He's such a strong boy!
I'm so proud of him everyday!

Stephanie

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys, but I am very worried.
When I came home tonight he did not eat that much and the treats Eric left before he went to work were untouched! The wild salmon he was bonkers about just 3 days ago. I made sure the consistency was right w/the fish, but much smaller chunks -- catch 22-- too small and he can't handle it and too large and it opens his jaw. The exam will be sometime next week. Eric just had a major schedule change and my boss leaves for China Wednesday so it's hectic, and what I don't want to do is toss him in the carrier, speed to the vet, stress out getting back to work and then not be with him and pick him up later. So perhaps Thursday. We agreed that if he starts to show ANY sort of pain, we will bring him in right away. I do thank you for all your best words and best vibes.

I knew it was going to be a long haul and we still need all the TCS magic we can get.

I whispered in Sashie's ear that whatever it takes, I will wait for him.

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Perhaps he is experiencing discomfort since he hasn't attempted to eat as much tonight? Maybe you could try the hot pack and see if that helps him feel any better at all. I don't know what else to offer you.... Poor fella, just trying to recoop! Give him some tender love from my little Stinkpot and me. He's doing so fabulous! No wonder his jaw may be bothering him! He's come a long way, and is continuing to progress. I can definetly understand your concern, I'd feel the same way. Just remember that he's determined to heal 100%, and I honestly believe that he won't give up until he has!
He probably felt like this
right after the attack. Now he feels like this
, and soon he'll feel like this
again! Don't worry!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Thanks you guys, but I am very worried.
When I came home tonight he did not eat that much and the treats Eric left before he went to work were untouched! The wild salmon he was bonkers about just 3 days ago. I made sure the consistency was right w/the fish, but much smaller chunks -- catch 22-- too small and he can't handle it and too large and it opens his jaw. <snip>So perhaps Thursday. We agreed that if he starts to show ANY sort of pain, we will bring him in right away. I do thank you for all your best words and best vibes.

I knew it was going to be a long haul and we still need all the TCS magic we can get.

I whispered in Sashie's ear that whatever it takes, I will wait for him.
I would wonder if he didn't have some soreness going on, as I mentioned I have tmj, and during an episode it is really uncomfortable

Is your vet one who uses any herbal meds? If so, consider asking them if you can use Arnica Montana (this is something my vet did approve my using with my sweet Mervat post mastecomy...and I've used it post spay, and post c/sections. It really seemed to help with the discomfort.). I would of course NOT suggest you use this without vet approval and dosing suggestion. It is something you can get without a prescription or having to drive to your vets, making it easier to get despite your work schedules at the moment.

If...your vet says okay.

Saying a prayer for Sasha and sending out lots of positive healing thoughts,

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending hugs, good vibes and good wishes your direction. Perhaps it is the TMJ ( I have it and it's horrid). I am sure there would have to be something out there to remedy it. I know people who use pills rather than mouth guards to ease it, so I would assume there is something liket that for cats. Anyway, Sasha is my thoughts and I hope he gets to eating more and feeling better.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor sashie, if it's not one thing..
Well, as Sashie is what he is (a trooper, more than I am)I expect that he's going to get through this the way he always does. hopefully the pain will subside, if he does hurt.. maybe there's some cat version of ambesol?

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just catching up on Sasha's progress. It sounds to me like he is doing very well. The TMJ problem can be painful(from a human stand point I know) so that maybe why he isn't eating as before. Elizabeth you should be so proud of yourself and Sasha too of course, he has come a long way with your love and TLC. I look forward to hearing about his progress however small it maybe. Sasha I am sending you more healing vibes
with gentle rubs and
to your Momma and Daddy.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had people ask how Sasha is doing and gosh, that just makes me feel so good. I know this has been such a long story and haven't wanted to bore anyone. I've also enjoyed reading everyone else's threads!!!

Sasha had a difficult Saturday. He saw something in the yard that made him totally freak out. It was early in the morning on Saturday when I fed him and then went upstairs to get back into bed to sleep more. I heard this huge yelp, a hiss, a huge scream, lots of crying and I dashed downstairs and there he was blown up as big as a blowfish, pacing on the sofa in the front room and then hopping off and running through the house to every available window, looking at the yard. I tried to pick him up to calm him and he lashed out at me - it was an unmistakable wave of terror and pain coming in my direction and he was trembling. I let him be and sat on the living room floor.
About 15 minutes later he came back and nudged me as if to say he was sorry. I carried him up to bed and put him between me and Eric and he curled up, but lifted his head at every little sound until a few hours later when he did start to relax. He body was very rigid and his pupils were dialated for some time. I was mortified because --at that point-- I thought he had rejected me and was seething at me. But he was fine for the rest of the day until it happened again at 8 pm! I ran through the yard trying to find what it was that had upset him so much but there was nothing! Eric's take on it was that a dog had wandered through because they do get out from time to time in our area, and it triggered a flashback or huge stress Sashie found difficult to handle. But Sasha is really mellow and he's also very good with dogs and other animals. For example, there's a huge Siberian husky across the way and Sasha lays beneath their window well on hot days and the husky never seems to mind and never even cares he's there. He also loves other kitties and one time last year I walked into the kitchen and there he was in the middle of the night showing two buddies how to come through his door!
Sasha is also stoic and very even-keeled, so this was an enormous outburst for him. We actually curtailed some of our plans this weekend to be with him at home instead of out a little bit more. Whatever it was, he is NOT ready for the outdoors and we are keeping vigilant. And we don't want him out as it is, we certainly are not tempting him w/outside smells or scents and being very careful to keep him playing inside and interacting with us a lot, never ignored, ever.
Was it the coyote coming back? maybe, considering the hour of day (early morning, then twilight) and how quickly they can leave an area. But there were people out and about both times and coyotes will not approach an area where there's substantial activity, and the sun was up both times. It has never happened in our area before, but we are not ruling it out. Whatever it was has not returned but we are vigilant and Sasha was terrified. I brushed him with his favorite brush, steamed him some halibut (he is eating a hair better!) and turned on Animal Planet. Big Cat Diary is his favorite, he sits and watches that one for a long time. Sasha also has a crush on Fawn, one of the darling junior cats on this site. Every time I show him her photo, he puts a paw up! It's adorable, I wish I had streaming video!~ He had a better Sunday.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elizabeth, I would get in touch with Jackson at littlebigcat. He is a member here now. I would get Sasha on some sort of remedy as soon as possible. Jackson can guide you as to what type. This cat does not need to deal with the additional stress he is dealing with, the remedy will help. You can post to Jackson directly in the Behavior forum and ask for him to help you. His member name is littlebigcat

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elizabeth,
You won't ever be boring us with letting us know what's happening with Sasha. I think Hissy's suggestion is perfect
and hope you'll try it.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok! I will seek him out and chat a bit. Sasha was very mellow and happy this evening and it was sunny with lots of animals in the area tonight. Let's see what he says, thanks!~~~

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww poor baby.. I wish there was something I could suggest.. but I'm glad to know his tongue is working better, Please keep us updated. We're all eagerly checking the thread to see any updates on our little fighter. Lol I want an article about cats and trauma recovery, and Sasha can be our mascat for it.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear our boy has had another upset. I sure hope it's not that ****** coyote visiting. Glad he's still making progress, and I hope you find him some relief for his jaw -- that can't be pleasant!

Hang in there Sasha -- what a great fellow you are!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear Sasha's evening was so much better!
Seeking the advice of Jackson sounds like a wonderful idea, and I look forward to hearing what he has to say about your sweet boy! More love from Sierra and me!

Stephanie

sbbeatnik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When will you have the X-Ray of Sashie's jaw?

Poor little guy. I am sorry to hear about the stressful morning with whatever it was outside that upset him so much.

He really has made tremendous progress though, and is lucky to have a caring mommy like you looking out for him.