Sarafem? (female only thread) Sorry guys ;)

jeeperscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that mentioned before...but I dont know anything about it..I heard herbal remidies can be just as dangerous...
I agree, the only reason I tried them was because my Mum asked doctors she worked with what was best for me. They're friends of the family and would never steer me wrong. If my regular doctor EVER prescribes me anything I don't take it until she's checked with them first. Since they're friends they don't rush to medicate me.

I believe St. Johns Wort is only helpful for mild to moderate anxiety or depression, you should always check with your doc before taking it cos it doesn't mix well with certain meds.

I hope you sort this out soon.

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An OBGYN may be perfectly qualified to prescribe Serafem, since it is indicated for a menstrual-related condition. While some docs live in the dark ages, others actually keep up with new things going on in their fields, take courses, go to conferences, etc. However, it does seem odd that she would prescribe it for general anxiety and not for PMDD.

I take a small dose of Celexa (an SSRI) for hormone-related anxiety and irritability. I used to take it only for the 10 days before my period, but now that my cycle is very irregular due to other drugs I am taking for a separate condition, I take it every day, just to be sure.

Before I was treated, once a month my personality would completely change. I am usually a very serious, patient, calm, diplomatic fair person who fears and hates any kind of violence. When my chemicals were out of whack, I would become obnoxious, irritable, impatient, reckless and violent towards my husband, friends and even strangers. I also had neurological symptoms, like loss of depth perception, aphasia (not being able to think of the right words when talking) and I would have very clear but completely wrong memories. I would hook up machines I used at work every day in such wrong configurations and not understand why they wouldn't work. I would try to walk through a door and miss. I had trouble with co-workers because I was so obnoxious that no amount of apology could make up for it. It seemed like things would just fly out of my mouth (and hands) before I could stop it. I didn't know what was happening, but I knew due to the neuro symptoms that it wasn't just me being a cranky witch once a month.

It worked miracles for me, but if you don't have PMDD, I'm not sure you should be taking it.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
St. John's Wort works wonders with mild to moderate depression. Its biggest side-effect is that it makes users more sensitive to sun light. There has been extensive research done on St. John's Wort and all studies find it to be safe and effective. However, if you take any other meds, you must talk to an MD about whether it is okay to take both. (Research shows it does not help serious depression)

For anxiety, Kava or Valerian work much better. They have very few side-effects and are considered to be safe to use on an as-needed basis. Neither of these herbs has been researched to the degree that St. John's Wort has, but small short-term clinical studies support their safety and effectiveness. It is vitally important, however, that you never-ever take these herbs while also taking benzodiazepines (such as Xanax) or other prescribed anti-anxiety medications. Since we don't yet have long-term studies of these herbs, I can't say anything about long-term safety and effectiveness. But, I do know several people who use valerian in times of stress and they swear by it!

There are several excellent books which summarize the research on herbal treaments for psychological symptoms. The one I am looking at as I write this is "Herbs for the Mind" by Davidson & Connor (both are MDs).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Creepy Owl, Talon and Anne:

See you guys are lucky. I've not heard that many positive things about Prozac. I'm glad it's working for you. I figured since Paxil and Zoloft caused such a bad reaction it would be a bad idea to try Prozac...or anything even in the same family.

himmymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I take zoloft and while it works wonders for me ...it may not for others...I realy personally think only a mind dr should prescribe these kind of things...there are too many bad things that can happen with mind altering drugs if you do not need them..
I do know that gynecologists do use alot of antideppressents to treat PMS though...
Good luck hun...i know how you feel

Lorien

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jeeperscat:

My grandma and aunt (who I live with) take meds all the time without thinking twice. If it wasnt for me checking myself...there's no telling what would've happened to me by now.

I've never tried St. John's Wart..I'm not sure if I can take it anyway my BC pills have some warning in them.

I hope so too. Mainly I need a pill I can take that will only last a few hours but kick in fast for when I'm having an anxious day. Not some prescription. I keep trying to tell the docs I'm not like this everyday. They wont listen. :|

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lotsocats:

I've never tried St. John's Wart, and I'm not sure if I can. My BC pills have some warning about taking it. I constantly avoid the sun. I wear SPF50 by bananna boat and try to avoid the sun...I'm proud of my paleness...would that make me more likely to get burned taking it or will it not affect me at all since I avoid the sun?

I've not hardly heard Kave or Valerian mentioned. I do need something weak. I mainly need a pill that can be as needed so maybe one of them will be good. I'll do some research. Thanks.

Ok. I'll see what I can find in a book store. I never even thought about checking in books there. I'm kinda a web junkie

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
himmymommy:

Zoloft gave me a worse reaction than Paxil. I passed out and was really dizzy. I'm glad that stuff is working for you..I guess people's bodies are different because that stuff really didnt like me. I agree..that's why I thought it so odd her prescribing them. Thanks, hopefully I'll figure out something soon.

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
JulieB:

I could see her prescribing it for PMDD, but like you said it's odd she prescribed it for anxiety. She never even asked my symptoms.

Never heard of Celexa. Do you know if it is in the same family as Zoloft/Paxil?

My problem is with new situations. Like going to the OBGYN that day I had a horid stomache ache and was vomiting and nausous and nervous and had this horrible fear feeling. Then as soon as it was over I was totally fine. I've been this way over every single new situation as far back as I can remember. All I know is the older I get it is getting worse. I'm glad you've got something that works. I know how hard it is to find something. You were lucky.

I doubt I have PMDD and since I found out it was Prozac there's no way I'm taking it.