Sakiz just gave birth and one of the kittens won't feed

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I think the kitten is too young to just look like that.  It needs more food.  Is he warm enough that far from Sakiz?  Can you move him closer so he gets warm?  I don't know how warm it is where you are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just saw the Third suckling a nipple. This time, I did not only see it, but heard that cute suckling sound! 

I am going to keep feeding it from the syringe for another two or three days as this might also be one of the previous wrong alarms. 

@Handsome Kitty, it generally stays closer to Sakız. It literally hugs her most of the time. For instance, she's under her front arm now. Also it is very hot here. Before the day Sakız gave birth, the forecast told that there might be one cool day, so I put the heater near them in case they need it. But it was hot on that day as well.

Back to the Third making suckling sounds with the nipple on its mouth, people told me that if a kitten tastes its mother's milk, it would keep suckling the nipple. Is this correct? Would I be right to assume that the third will no longer need my help if it sucks milk one or two more times? 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear he is eating from mom!  The first 3 days or so her milk is full of antibodies that the kittens need to stay well.  He may have just needed the boost that your feedings gave him.  Excellent work!

I would keep an eye on the 3rd just in case he needs a little extra.  If you want to be sure and have a scale you can weigh the kittens at the same time every day.  They should gain 6-10 grams minimum.  If they are gaining less they need more food.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was a teenager, we had a pregnant female (who was oddly quite friendly and tame) wander up and have babies under my house. I fetched them all and brought them and mama into my room so they could safely grow and be socialized from a young age. The smallest one, a little orange male, wouldn't eat, just like you're saying your little one won't. What I did was sit by the box and make the kitten eat. I'd put him up to the nipple and let him feel it with his face. Eventually he'd usually start feeding on his own, but he needed encouragement. He grew up to be spoiled rotten from all of the handling at such a young age, haha.

If this fails, the next step, as other users have said, would be substitute formula. Good luck!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the third kitten is nursing well then you do not need to give it supplemental feedings. Just be sure it is sucking well on the nipple! That would be best!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And the trick to know if they get enough when they suckle is by weighting them, here every 12 hours.   If he gains, good, if not, you must supplement anyway.

Its not unusual weak kittens seems to suckle, but its really more comfort thing then them getting much...   So its important to watch out and make sure.
If the third kitten is nursing well then you do not need to give it supplemental feedings. Just be sure it is sucking well on the nipple! That would be best!

I just saw the Third suckling a nipple. This time, I did not only see it, but heard that cute suckling sound! 

I am going to keep feeding it from the syringe for another two or three days as this might also be one of the previous wrong alarms. 

@Handsome Kitty, it generally stays closer to Sakız. It literally hugs her most of the time. For instance, she's under her front arm now. Also it is very hot here. Before the day Sakız gave birth, the forecast told that there might be one cool day, so I put the heater near them in case they need it. But it was hot on that day as well.

Back to the Third making suckling sounds with the nipple on its mouth, people told me that if a kitten tastes its mother's milk, it would keep suckling the nipple. Is this correct? Would I be right to assume that the third will no longer need my help if it sucks milk one or two more times? 

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Despite all the efforts of me and 2 other people, The Third passed away today. 

We took it to the vet to see if there is anything they can do. We told its history, showed the photos and videos we took. The vet told us that she was not going to make it from the beginning. He also told that while Sakız did not drive it away, she did not embrace it as well. 

The other two are okay. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So sorry to hear about the third one passing. May he rest in peace.

Happy to hear that the two remaining kittens are thriving.

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks people. It was more saddening to see than I thought. 

We named the three of them. First one is called Arthur after the king. It is so strong when it suckled, when Sakız tried to move, it moved with her :) My friend said "It would move the sword put in the rock easily, so this must be Arthur. The second one did not have any characteristics other than being a little yellow. The other two are white. So we called it Yellow. The third was weak when it was born. We hoped that it could survive and get stronger, so we called it Benjamin Button. 

Now I'll have to concentrate on Arthur the King, Yellow and Sakız.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a journey..

I know with human babies suckling issues are generally neurological

problems.

Sorry about the third

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What a journey..

I know with human babies suckling issues are generally neurological

problems.

Sorry about the third
I know I have to move on, but your post raised a question in my mind. 

With the human babies, it is said that feeding them from a bottle when they are supposed to breastfeed tends to cause them to lose their ability or wish/stregth to suckle from the breasts as sucking from a bottle is easier. So if one plans to breastfeed her baby later on, the baby should be fed using a spoon.

I wonder if this could have been the case for The Third. What if I took its already broken ability to suckle from a breast away? What if at the point where it was strong enough to suckle from the breast it could not do it because it did not really suck from the needle?

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No you didn't bring this about by supplementing.  The Third/Benjamin Button wasn't suckling from the syringe.  Nursing kittens will not take a bottle of formula if they have the mother to nurse from.  Many kittens are supplemented w/syringes and still nurse fine.  Sometimes the tiny ones don't make and we never know why.  You were aware he was in crisis and did everything to help him.  In the end he just wasn't strong enough.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No fault of your own..some babies arent able to suckle..

usually the cause is neurological..not human error

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that is comforting. 

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's sweet. Thanks :)

I never thought I would be so affected by his death. I mean, he was a kitten, he was in my life just for 3 days and we did not even look each other's eyes. I thought what would happen if he dies and in my imagination, I was just pretending Sakız gave birth to two kittens. Well, that is not the case. I'm not thinking of him all the time, but he crosses my mind time to time. His voice when I took him, his stretching when Sakız licked him etc. I had accepted his death when he's alive but that's a little more difficult to accept it now.

By the way, his body is missing. Sakız hid his body. Someone told me that she might have eaten him, but I think I'd have seen some remainings. I have no clue how to find the body.

Now some cheerful news, Arthur the King (Let's hope it's a male) and Yellow (It got so white that maybe I should call it Snowball from now on) are very well. Sakız hid them somewhere I could not reach. I could barely see them. Today, Sakız took Arthur out and somehow she could not put him back. She and Arthur started to meow loudly. I prepared a soft place for them again, took Yellow out of the previous place and put the three of them to that place. Sakız did not stop meowing. That's when I noticed that they have opened their eyes! 

Arthur opened his both eyes and Yellow opened one of its eyes. That raised some doubts about its health, but I was told by a vet that that's not necessarily a health issue and it might open the other eye in one or two days. If not, I might have to wipe its eye so that it can open it. I figured Arthur must have opened one of his eyes the other day and I just did not notice. Let's wait for 2 days.

I read that when the kittens open their eyes, the eyes are dilated. I thought the light might hurt them so I covered the place I prepared so that only a little light can enter. Sakız stopped meowing and went in to feed them. They stay in that place right now. But Sakız feels like a nomad, and she might take them somewhere else at any time. This is their 5th place. Maybe I fail to provide them with a proper place?

Sakız is feeling great as well. She was not in the mood for the games after the birth, but now she jumps around, asks me for playing and does her usual stuff like jumping on the doors and trying to touch the ceiling. She got a little sweeter than she already was when she got pregnant, but that sweetness now doubled. She might actually like people. She did not like being pet by someone other than me. But she tolerated being pet by my friend for like 20 seconds and then she just left her to be pet by me. 

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good news!  She probably wanted you to see the kittens had opened their eyes.  The kittens do need low light at first.  Next the ears will unfurl around 3 weeks.  Where is she moving the kittens to?  Is she bringing them closer to you or hiding them away?

BTW Sakiz can get pregnant again as early as a week after giving birth.  Even if she is nursing.

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh man... That's not good. I'll seal the doors and windows. Did you know that I didn't neuter her because it was expensive and then I had to spend more while she was pregnant? And that I still spend more than usual? Oh man...

She brings them closer to my usual living area. But it was nearly impossible for me to reach to the kittens in their previous place. So I don't know if she wants me to see and touch them or not.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She wants them closer to you.  She may eventually want you to watch them as she takes longer breaks.

She can't be spayed until the kittens are about 6 weeks old.