Sakiz just gave birth and one of the kittens won't feed

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens with a mom around don't usually suckle on anything other than her. Don't expect the kitten to take the milk from the syringe like it would a nipple. Feeding it will have to be a drop at the time in the corner of the mouth.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You will need to force feed the kitten or it will die. Get a friend to hold the kitten still for you and FEED the kitten whether it likes it or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not expect the kitten to suck the milk from the syringe yet. You must put it in drop by drop.

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Between The Third doing its best to avoid being fed and Sakız doing her best to keep her kitten safe and near her (Took it from my hands twice already) and safe, this is tiring but fun activity. I'll keep going until I go to bed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to take the kitten away from the mom and into another room to efficiently feed it, then put it back. It's not really a game. You note the time and how much you fed it, then you feed it again every two hours until you observe the kitten suckling very strongly from its mom.

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'm getting the hang of it. I just managed to feed it the whole syringe, which is 1 cc. I really did need to take it to another room. But I have to do so without letting Sakız notice. She goes everywhere to get her kittens.

When I got the kitten out of the room, it still tried to get away from the syringe, but when the milk touched to its lips, this time it opened its lips to take it in. 

I'll go to bed a little later than usual so that I can feed it one more time. 

After I finished feeding it, it made sounds similar to sneezing. I'm not sure what that means. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never fed a kitten myself, but many people say is is difficult at first.  Glad you succeeded.  BTW the kitten needs to be fed through the night.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good you were able to give it 1 mL. I hope you did not go so fast that the milk went into the lungs or up the nose. Aspirating the milk into the lungs will give the kitten pneumonia.

Ideally the kitten will be fed every two hours through the night. Try to give the kitten 2-3 mL at the next feeding.

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's good you were able to give it 1 mL. I hope you did not go so fast that the milk went into the lungs or up the nose. Aspirating the milk into the lungs will give the kitten pneumonia.

Ideally the kitten will be fed every two hours through the night. Try to give the kitten 2-3 mL at the next feeding.
It might have happened, because when I saw its mouth open and sucking, I increased the pressure just a little bit. It still did not make the milk go with force, but it might be more than it could swallow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, if the kitten aspirated milk into its lungs, it will die. This is not a task done quickly. It is slow - drop by drop.

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, if the kitten aspirated milk into its lungs, it will die. This is not a task done quickly. It is slow - drop by drop.
Let's hope it didn't happen. I'd love to say it did not aspirated, but I can't. I also can't say it did. I'm going to be more careful with it next time. 

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now it's photo time as promised. I'm not going to sleep soon and I still have 1 hour until I try to feed the third, so, why not? I put them in spoilers hoping to make it easier to load the page.

This is where Sakız and her kittens live. She got a little messy so it looks dirty. There are boxes which Sakız can easily enter. Also a suitcase is available if they want to go inside.
This is the view from the entrance of the room. They are on the far side of the room, so that they can have the most comfy place they can get in this house. 
This is another close view of their place. And you can see the big bowl I'm talking about, which I guess might have lost in translation.
These are the kittens. Guess which one is the third... 
In the photos below, you can see three of the kittens from as close as I dare to get with my phone. If I get a little closer, Sakız gets irritated. You can see The Third here. It is the one who stays away from the nipples. 
By the way, the one with black hair on its head is the first one. The one who it tries to push is the second. They literally fight for every nipple. If one of them loses the fight and goes to another nipple, the other one follows it to take the new nipple from its hands. 

Of course again, the one who is not interested in anything is The Third. Looks weak and small, right?
Did I mention that the third was the easiest of all of the births? Sakız did not even bothered herself giving birth to the third. 

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hoping the third will get strong enough from syringe feeding of goat milk to begin to suckle from its mother in the next day or two.

kutubira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it not possible that Third is just like that? Its mom, Sakız was a weak one amongst her siblings and according to the human of her mother, it ran away to a construction site, where her poor mom had to go there several times a day for about a month to feed her. 

When Third is on my hands, it is strong. It can climb on me etc. But when I put it near its siblings, it just looks so weak.