Sadie's Story

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Outdoor Enclosure:  Yesterday I thought to use a large dog kennel and assemble it outside Sadie's bathroom window and fill it with some grass and leaves and log, fresh catmint from my garden and added some cedar branches to hide behind.  I would like to put a 2nd level in it somehow.  I also put a bird feeder close by for him to watch the birds.  He LOVES it.  And I love seeing him outside basking in the warm sunshine with the breeze combing through his fur and knowing he is safe.

He can look out onto his backyard from 15 feet up and look onto the duck pond and watch all of the geese and ducks splahing around.

After all of our lovin this week, he is really hating on me the past few days.  Lots of hisses and flat ears.  I find it is a pattern, love, hisses, more love...  lots of hisses, love, hisses, more love....

Maybe in a few days we will have another breakthrough.

He has never swatted, bit at or growled at me, yet, so that is good.

I do leave treats on the lip of his cubby for him, about 2 inches from his head and he always watches me do this and usually gives a hiss, today he didn't hiss and I slowly reached and stroked his head, twice, and he gave me this unbelieveable look: "Just what exactly is it that you think you are doing?"  lol, quite funny fella.

He has not chosen any of his toys yet to play with and he is afraid of the flying wand toys. 

Stefan I do have a "Cat Game" on the ipad that my resident cats go mental for.  There are three games: 1 is laser, 1 is butterfly and 1 is squeaky mouse.  The squeaky mouse is the favorite and a joy for the cats for jump on the ipad to chase and squeak.  I have not tried with Sadie yet as he has been afraid of my laser tag game, in time I will try ipad.
Where is this cat game???? I would love to try it on my kitties!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try "PaintFor Cats". My cats just love it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clara it is called "GameforCats"

KRZ thanks so much for the tip on Paintfor Cats... I bought it last night and my kitty lovesssss it!!!!  :) Do you know of any others?

Sadie has been coming thru the house regularly for the past week or so while my dog is locked into the front entrance hallway.  There is a seethru door from there that sees into the kitchen and laundry.  So, my dog sees Sadie and has stopped really caring about this new kitty in the house - doesn't bark or anything anymore.

Sadie was wondering around the house this morning and now he refuses to go back to the bathroom.  Quite frankly, I can't find him
 The last I saw he was underneath my daughter's bed but has since moved elsewhere.....
.   Maybe it is time to just set him free in the house forever?

The only concern I have is that I have always found him so sweet calling to my 2 female spayed kitties, but yesterday - while sweet calling to my tiny res kitty, Sadie all hackled up and flattened ears and reached up to the chair that res kitty was in and looked like he was going to go for her with a swat.  

Is Sadie going to hurt my res kitties????

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have the res cat's and Sadie had any face to face intros yet other than playing under the bathroom door? I am sure they already know each other's smell since it has been a few week's anyway, so I think you are good on that front. But face to face meetings can bring out some hisses/growls and swats. I would just keep a close watch on them and if Sadie just walked off after his attempt to sniff/swat your res kitty, then that was a good sign. Especially if the res kitty didn't seem upset by it. I think you will be alright :cross: I would still try to keep Sadie in his room at night, IF you can corral him back to that room :dk: Usually, when the kitties are newly adapting to the rest of the house, and get scared, they will run to their safe room. Hopefully Sadie will do the same when he feels he needs more security. Otherwise, it sounds like he is having toooooo much fun with his new found freedom. AND :woohoo: on the dog!!!!!!!!!!! That is great news that the dog just sees Sadie as one of the family. Outside is a whole other world for the dogs and they can act like cat killers... but inside the house, the dog's know that the cat's are part of their pack. :nod:

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh Sadie has been out in the house all day and hiding quite well.  I just went into my bedroom to look for him in his favorite box spring under the bed mattress spot and I went around the far side of my room when suddenly he jumped up from my bed!  He had cuddled himself onto my pillow and slightly underneath my comforter.  How cute is that!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:shocker: That IS incredible :clap::clap::clap: I am so happy to hear how famously things have turned out for you and Sadie. He sure loves and trusts you now. A little cuddle bug :rub: :D

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are < : > this close to bonding.  Sadie has been doing rolling over head bumps and leaping furniture head bumps only a foot away from me.  He follows me with his plate of wet cat food and eats from the plate when it is in my hand.  He lets me hold his paws and he will gently wrap his paws around my fingers for some sniffing.

I am sooooo close to feeling those head bumps on me!

This kitty MUST have known the good life before, he has comfortably found his favorite spot to be atop my pillow and just slightly beneath my comforter.  So cute.

He has also started to go nuts for the laser.

(sorry for the bad picture quality)

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...and a few hours after that Sadie is now a puddle in my hands!

I guess all he needed was to melt that last little icicle then bathe in all that attention that has been waiting for him.

He is so solid.  He feels like a rock hard brick wall, certainly not like my pudding house cats.

Ohh  giddy goo  he loves being rubbed and scratched!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: LOOK AT SADIE!!!!!!!! You have done a super job with him :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: This is the best update EVER!!!! Sadie certainly is an adorable boy and is so lucky...... although I am sure you feel lucky too :hugs: :nod: :rub: :clap:

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sorry for the poor picture quality - it is a picture of a video. lol

Sadie is doing so great.  He enjoys attention from my little girl and even comes out for a quick Hello to visitors.

I do think, though, that he is becoming very possessive of me. 

He will attack my 2 spayed female cats at lightning speed and so the cats are always segregated from eachother.  The cats take turns being in and out of my bedroom during the day and a full night every other night.  When it is Sadie's turn to be in the bedroom and he sees that I am about to leave he will race to the doorway and pace it back and forth and charge at me a bit if I try to step through.  If I make it through he will then slap my leg.  He actually prefers to be in my room then anywhere else.  He has also taken to charging, hissing and slapping at my 100 pound Belgian Malinois.  Sadie is not the least bit afraid of my dog as Sadie will saunter right up to pooch and then continue to walk right past. I'm sure he'd fling his tail in my dog's face if he had one.

He
 um gets erections during really good patting sessions and then licks at hisself obsessively. Is it possible that the TNR vet did not get 'everything?'

How can this be determined??

Sadie will not go near my doors and tends to stay back from the windows.  He does not even go out into the outdoor enclosure very much.  I read on TCS somewhere that once a feral has known life on both sides of the door, s/he will often choose the indoor side. I really like this saying - I wish I could give it's writer credit.

He would like to play non-stop which makes me think he is quite young.  The vet estimated 2-3 years.  I think maybe younger than that.

He is also loving a partial raw food diet.

I am going to start to build a cat pen in my back yard that leads out of my back door.  This should be a fun project.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a great photo of Sadie!!! He really has come so far under your care. It really sounds to me that he is acting quite dominant. It is possible but unlikely that the TNR vet made a mistake. You could always call them, that is what I would do and tell them what is going on. It is possible that down the road (and only a suggestion here) that Sadie will need an anit-depressant medication. I have a cat, Pipsqueak, that is very dominant of me and everyone else in the house, even my dogs. Will attack my dogs if anything goes wrong in the house, he blames them for everything. He is highly stressed and as a result developed FIC - blood in urine with no known cause. He was put on Elavil - and it did wonders for his attitude also and helped to settle down his bladder. It is just an option I am throwing at you in case the vets can't find any other reason for his behavior. I would absolutely show him your displeasure of his advances by hissing/growling or even howling out loudly. He is smart and hopefully he will learn to back away from the door when you go to it. Also, being on the meds (down the road :lol3: if you decide) he might get along better with your other two kitties. OH - they don't have to be on the medication for long term either. It works quite well at changing their behavior patterns. You do have to slowly wean them off of it after about three months time. Of course you would talk with your vet anyway about this option and get instructions and advice from him about Sadie's behavior. Sooner than later though, I would not wait too long to get to the bottom of this behavior.

Building an outdoor enclosure might be perfect for him and give him something else to focus on for part of his day. You have a good plan though and it seems to be working out keeping all the cats separated right now. I hope that someday they can all live in harmony :D :winkblue: :vibes::vibes:

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lauren you have been so supportive to me during this process.  Thank-you so much.

I am enjoying reading your raw feeding threads.  I have a lonnnng way to go to catch up but I am learning so much!!

Isn't Pipsqueak (Cute name for a dominant cat!!) the kitty who is taking his time getting used to raw?  And definitely to venison!!

I would love to know Sadie's history and where he came from but I know nothing
 He just showed up on my doorstep about a year ago.

I will definitely talk to my vet about his dominance and possible meds.  He has to go in soon for his flea shot (he is allergic to advantage) so we will discuss it then.

Seems unfair that a customer purchases the expensive advantage, then purchases the allergy med for the allergic reaction and then has to purchase the needle medicine. $$ Yikes!

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw thanks... :blush: but I really do care about our TCS stray kitties and it means a lot to me to TRY :lol3: to help. Yep, Pipsqueak is top cat here and he is also teeny. His head is about half the size of the other cat's. He is one tough cat though. Holy Moly, don't piss off the Pipster :paranoid: Have fun reading the raw threads :lol3:. It is actually comical reading most of the time.

Yeah, I hear ya on the OUCH in the wallet department :dollars: when it comes to the medical expenses. OH and I hate that.... :slant: when you pay for something to fix something and that something needs fixing too :flail: MORE :dollars:

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!  I wanted to pop in and update you on Sadie.

Sadie has become the most wonderful, loving, sweet, affectionate kitty I have ever known (don't tell my other kitties).

He sleeps under my covers against the crook of my belly and rests his head on my arm.  He looks into my eyes and searches for understanding:

"Thank-you for saving me."  He has shown me what true love is and I'm not sure who saved who.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update.  Just the other day, I was telling someone on here about your crate/outside enclosure.  I always thought that was the most creative idea.  So glad Sadie is doing so well!