Sadie's Story

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadie came to my home last summer (2011) and quickly decided that there was a good thing going on here.  I began to feed her regularly, morning and evening with yummy foods and I set up an insulated/heated shelter in my backyard for her.  She stayed in my fenced backyard almost 24/7.  My dog hadn't even been in my backyard since last summer because I didn't want to scare my feral cat away!

Sadie started out very feral and would disappear on sight, to coming to within a few feet of me for food and staying on her porch until I was a few feet away.  She also started out eating everything in sight, to realizing that there would be constant food for her and so she learned she could back off on her binges.

I had noticed that Sadie had a clipped left ear and thought that she might be a TNR.

Sadly, last week something, likely a racoon, attacked Sadie leaving her in bad shape.  I managed to live trap her after trying for 2 days and got her to my awaiting vet last Friday.  I left her in tender hands and returned 2 hours later to pick her up.

The first thing I learned was that my little girl was actually a little boy and had in fact previously been neutered. 

Sadie's wounds were very bad.  Something with large teeth (racoon?) had caused multiple puncture wounds through the outside and inside of his left shoulder and across his ribcage.  His tail was also victim to multiple bite wounds at the base and his left eye had a scratch laceration.  Poor kitty!!  Sadie underwent emergency surgery and unfortunately had to have his tail amputated :(  His shoulder was also treated.

I brought him home with his meds and set him up in my quiet, warm, private basement in a doubled - large dog kennel with all the comforts from his previous shelter and some new goodies and I am taking 5 star care of him until his wounds heel.

The vet felt that Sadie is a true feral, however he says that Sadie was quite calm before being sedated and seemed to be looking for attention.

I have spent a lot of quiet time with Sadie over the past 4 days and am going to work my hardest to earn his trust and hopefully make a lifelong friend who is no longer interested in the dangerous outdoors.  So far he is extremely calm and inquisitive.

One of the best things about this whole ordeal is that after me falling in love with and taking care of Sadie for the past 7 or 8 months, he was still asleep when I picked him up from the vets and I finally got to pat him!!  What a special fella.

Thank-you for reading our story :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh your poor little man :shame: .... That is terrible and he is lucky to be alive and survived that attack. Sadie is also very lucky to have found you last summer. It sounds like he has had some human contact before and I think you will have a deep bond with him now. :nod: The life of a feral cat in the outdoors is filled with so many dangers but usually they are pretty quick at avoiding a confrontation with a raccoon. In fact, most times they live peacefully together. But who knows for sure what happened to Sadie. He was already TNRd, so that is great, no neutering needed. I am sorry about his injuries and certainly think he will be much better off indoors from now on. I think you two will have a very close relationship after going through this trauma :rub:. I can't wait to hear how things will be progressing :cross: please keep updating on his recovery. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Oh :happy3: WELCOME to the site !!! We are glad you found us :hugs: :wave2:

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 and certainly think he will be much better off indoors from now on. I think you two will have a very close relationship after going through this trauma .
Yes. I think and hope you will domesticize and socialize him rather quickly and easier now.  Much easier than if you, say, trapped him one week ago, took in and tried to foster at home.  You would surely succeed, sooner or later. But it may get in no time as it is now!

It is well known the easy way to get ferales socialized is if you take them as kittens, 2-7 weeks old. Later on still possible, but more and more difficult as time goes by..

What is not widely known the easy Window is opening again if you help them when they are severely sick or injured, they know it, and sough your help.

Sometimes the turn is almost instanteous.  

(these instant cases are surely no real ferales, but semiferales - but still, who want destroy a good story, he?  )

Tx for helping this lass / guy!

Welcome to the TCS site and our Forums!

Good luck!  *vibes*

P.s.   Sadek or Sadeq  is a rather popular male name in the Middle Eastern, Egypt and so.

I personally know a couple of nice fellows with this name, both bridgeplayers in the egyptian national team, another was  my ex pupil.  :)

Last edited:

mieshasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome!! And I'm so glad you are rescuing this cute kitty!!  And also thank you for the kind words on my thread,  its words like that, that keep me motivated!  The people on here are the greatest!  They've given me a lot of really good help with my babies. I totally agree with Stefan about injured cats being more appreciative.  As you have read on my posts, Tiger had an injured tail also and had to have it amputated.  Thats the reason I live trapped him in the first place.  He's been coming along surprisingly quickly! Baby Kitty I can already hold and pet and she really loves that, but she is still very much afraid.  The minute I put her down she's gone!!  But I know with your kind treatment and love Sadie ( have you given HIM a new name yet?) will come around!  As everyone else says, good vibes to you! 
and please keep updating on your baby!!!          Your new friend,   Cathy 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol @ mieshasmom...  The vet said that Sadie was getting picked on because he had a girl's name.

I will leave his name as is... prior to his attack he would come running towards me when I called him for breakfast and supper. Of course then he would put pressure on the 4x4 breaks "Whoa Human!" when he got within 10 feet or so.

Thank-you everyone for your comments.  This is a really fabulous board.  What a stroke of luck that I found it.

I have spent so much time the past couple of days reading through threads and blogs. There is a lot of very lucky, unfortunate, feral kitties out there.

There was no obvious advancement on Sadie's lovin today.  He is keeping to himself in his cubby.  After I put his yummy wet foods out for him and wait/read for up to 1 hour after, he still won't come out.   I know...  1 step forward and 3 steps back (1 and 3?  5 and 2?)  Your stories give me hope.

I have read that some people feel that the hidey hole cubbies should be taken away so they can't worry away in isolation?  I was wondering what the consensus is here?

It has been 5 days since he was captured and treated.

Cheers!

Julie

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have read that some people feel that the hidey hole cubbies should be taken away so they can't worry away in isolation?  I was wondering what the consensus is here?
Hidey hole cubes, cat igloos or sideturned cardboard boxes are great. You can pet them if so is, you can treat them some, you can take them out if necessary, etc.

They need that shadow of personal security.

What we hope to avoid is they make their place under the bed in that corner fartherst away.

This we dont recommend.

Yet, if  the host/fosterer is slowthinking and let them hide there and took their safety room in there - better to let them be there and feel safe, than drag them out with raw force.

Last edited:

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, I took my own very vocal kitty down to see Sadie this evening and the two of them hit up the most amazing conversation.  Sadie came right out of her hidey hole and was wondering all over and meowing the sweetest meows to my Scrappy and then Sadie was kneading and purring on her bed AND he came up several times to my hand for a big sniff, staring at me with big doe eyes.

Ohmy gosh I'm in love!

Progress!

And I have it on video :)

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HIM HIM him, sorry Sadie, must remember you are a fella....  may take awhile after 8 months thinking you were a little girl :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, I took my own very vocal kitty down to see Sadie this evening and the two of them hit up the most amazing conversation.  Sadie came right out of her hidey hole and was wondering all over and meowing the sweetest meows to my Scrappy and then Sadie was kneading and purring on her bed AND he came up several times to my hand for a big sniff, staring at me with big doe eyes.

Ohmy gosh I'm in love!

Progress!

And I have it on video :)
Is Scrappy a she or a he?

Sadies "sweetest meows"  sounds like a friendly tom courting a female.

As Sadie WAS a tom into recently, he does of course still have all the necessay skills. At least for the courting that is.   :)

(but they can sire after the neutering, surely at least one week after, but possibly even several or more weeks after)

Of course, the lesson learned here you do have a proof he WAS a friendly, gentle tom.    :)

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Scrappy is a 5 year old spayed female.  She was found all alone in the engine of a car when she was about 3-4 weeks old.  Her mama was likely feral and Scraps retains some semi-feral qualities.

I've had her for all 5 years.

Sadie was neutered at least a year ago.  He showed up in my forest backyard that way.  Gee, I sure would like to know his story!!  The local cat resues don't know him.

Well, it is good to know that he is a gentleman!!

Sadie was hiding out again when I brought him his breakfast and meds (antibiotics) this morning.  I am going to go down in a bit and bring Scraps again.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an amazing person you are and Sadie knew what he was doing when he wandered into your yard

I hope Sadie continues to improve and you win over his trust and love and he can become a spoiled indoor kitty. Looking forward to your updates and I would LOVE for you to post that video ;)

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brandy, how do I post a video??  It is on my iphone.

mystiquetyler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another great story here. I bet Sadie will come around eventually. I am sure if he sees Scraps cuddling an loving you you he will realize he can too. Can't wait for your next update.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It has been 5 days since he was captured and treated.

Cheers!
Julie
Cubby, hideaways, etc. are necessary for sure. :) BUT no hideouts where you could not easily reach the kitty. If there was a bed in the room, I always recommend putting the mattress on the floor. It will be easier for socializing your little man if he cannot hide away from you completely. But, he must have some options for a secret hideout and comfort zone. I would also suggest some vertical space for Sadie. A cat tree, shelving or something he can climb up and be high off the ground.

MUCH LUCK in your daily sessions with Sadie :rub: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's upstairs He's upstairs He's upstairs!!

I prepared my bathroom last night by completely emptying it and putting in some of his comfies.  This morning I was all set to do the deed.  By god I was adrenaline'd!

I started by separating the 2 xl dog kennels and Sadie went into the back into his hidey cubby.

I put a cat carrier into the one kennel and brooched the door up to his cubby. Hahahaha ya right like it's gonna be that easy.  Sadie looked into it and looked at me. No hissing no flat ears, huge sign!

Nonetheless the carrier was not going to work.

I went back upstairs and got a large tupperware storage container and brought it downstairs.  Sadie came right out of his cubby and started talking right away to me and looking at the tub.

Seriously, how can this cat be so social after 9 days indoors (8 months outdoors) if he is a true feral?  He has been eating in front of me, kneading and purring, Sniffing my hand, laying and cleaning hisself beside me and talking to me for the past couple of days!

So I put the tub into the kennel and Sadie ducked into his cubby, no hissing, just looking and I slowly slid the tub to where the cubby was inside the tub and then lidded it.

I ran like hell upstairs to the bathroom and opened the lid.

Ohmygosh, dreamy big golden green eyes and perky whiskers looked up at me, "What's this all about Mom?"  There was absolutely no hostility or fear that I could see.

I left the bathroom, closed and secured the door and watched from a peekaboo spot in the door.

He inquisitively made his way around the bathroom jumping up onto the kitty window sleeper to look out onto his backyard, he sniffed his stuff, checked everything out and was really admiring himself in the mirrors around the bathtub (shush) "My aren't I a handsome fella."

It's like he is saying, "I think this could work after all" or "this ain't so bad."

He is really settling in!!

I'm so excited.

I have my dog and other 2 cats locked up so Sadie can chill.

I'll keep you posted!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: Hopefully your other cats and dog learn to love this handsome newcomer.

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  Um, I'm supposed to leave kitty alone for about 24 hours right?  I need to go to the bathroom and I usually have a bath in the evening.

Gee 
  I can't say I thought that far ahead!

Advice please.>.!!

hobo08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for saving him and feeding him for so long before you finally caught him. No help on the bathroom issue LOL I have never rescued any ferals or strays.

sadiecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Escapee!  Today my dog let out a strange bark and one of my cats went running and it was an 'odd' moment.  You know when something happens and your spidey senses tell you something is off?

I went up to the bathroom and Sadie has pushed up the window and had the pet-screen about 1 hair away from being pushed out.

I had only opened the bathroom window 1" for some fresh air to flow through.  It's a heavy window and I would never have thought that he could push it up!

I quickly shut the window, locked it, then got out my power tools and cut some lattice for the window.  The latice holes looked just a lil too large though so I doubled it to make the holes a little smaller.

Can cats get through the plastic white lattice?????

I would have been so devestated!

Sadie is doing really good.  This morning when I went in to do my business and morning fresh up/brush teeth etc, he sat in the tub and watched me and mewed sweetly to me.

I stayed in for about 1 hour later on, but he didn't come out.

He really likes it when I mew to him or softly whistle, this usually prompts him to look/approach and mew back.  I hope this is okay.

Can I take a bath tonight??  I might start to stink soon

Hi Hissy
  Your advice on the threads is so fantastic.  Maybe you could give me some extra tips?

Everyone thank-you so much for chiming in :)