sad cats

denise mackie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All, 

I have just adopted 2 lovely cats, brother and sister Bobby and Dotty.  They have a sad little story, one of their humans died and the other was taken into a care home.  When they lived with their humans, Bobby and Dotty had 3 other cat friends and a doggy friend at home.  The other 4 animals have all been rehomed, and the lady who was looking after B and D wanted to rehome them together for obvious reasons.  Now, I'm used to having cats from kittens, nosy, curious, up for a bit of fun and naughtiness, but these 2 are already 2 years old, I got B and D home last night, and they went straigh into the cupboard under the stairs and ensconced themselves on the bottom shelf of a shoe rack!  They wouldn't come out, not even to eat or for treats, so, Ieft them alone, of course I did.  When I came downstairs this morning, one was on the sofa, and the other behind the TV unit (naturally), they both said hello and let me pet them a little but then immediately returned to last nights 'safe place'.  I came home from work tonight and one is in the cupboard and the other behind the TV, they won't come out when I am here at all.  One or both of them have eaten, (a plate of moist food was gone this morning when i checked), but they do not appear to have eaten today while I was out.  They are using the litter box very nicely.  Oh and last night, after I went to bed (I shut the stair door cos they'd been asleep and I didn't want them rampaging round my bedroom in middle of the night), I heard them meowing to come up to me, but I didn't think that was a good idea.

I know, this is long!  Thing is, I know they need to settle in and feel safe, but I am concerned about the lack of eating, and total refusal to have anything to do with me.  The only thing I can do is leave them until they are ready I suppose.

Any advice?  Confused and worried!

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!  Bless their little hearts!  And yours for taking them in!

I wouldn't worry yet.  It sounds completely normal to me.  I know when I've moved my cats have behaved the same way; even with familiar things and people around.  It'll just take some time to get used to all the changes.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sheba has the same history.  She was about 4 when I got her, and after a few days she was getting on the bed with me.  Now she can't resist me.  And I can't resist petting her any chance I get.  They will get braver in a little while, and start treating you like the softie you are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denise mackie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both.  In typical cat style, within half an hour of me posting this, Dotty started chatting to me from behind the tv unit, so I got some treats and offered them to her through the shelf part, she took them!  She then came up on the sofa with me, had a few more treats and let me stroke her and gently 'scruff' her like a mommy cat, soon as I did that she rolled over and lay there for ages with me tummy rubbing her!  Such a tart!  Bobby has now ventured out, played with a 'fishing rod' toy with me, they have both eaten from my hand.  I have managed to flea drop her, but he won't let me near him yet.  They have both had something to eat and drink! Phew!  They are gorgeous!!!! sooooooooo happy!  May even let them upstairs with me tonight.......................  how much sleep am i gonna get?   

Again, thank you both for your replies!!! xx xx xx meow :-)

denise mackie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catspaw66, how very dare you accuse me of being a big softie!!! lol,  it's not like I've bought them beautiful new collars, pink for her with diamante flowers on, blue/grey for him - no diamante!  Can't wait til they trust me enough to let me put them on.  can we post pics on here???  when they are ready I'll take some and post them............. you'll melt!  Soooooooo beautiful. One happily owned human right here!

denise mackie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, we will let our human pet know.  I'm sure if we can be bothered to sit for long enough she;ll snap away with the interminable thing, but as long as there are Dreamies for us, we may deign to comply, but only to show you all how purrrrfectly gooorrrrrrrgeous we are.! :-)