Royal Canin

amykins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Aren't barley, brown rice, and oatmeal grains?
Yes, they definately are. I wasn't trying to state that there were no grains in my food choice. I was simply stating that there were, what I consider to be, mediocre grains in the other food and less meat. The Nature's Variety has more meat, less grains (less carbs) and the grains used are whole grains.

I apologize for any confusion.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Aren't barley, brown rice, and oatmeal grains?
umm yup they are .///// barley is not nearly as digestable as wheat ... brown rice is good but harder to digest than white oatmeal is good ... the food she mentioned have two meats and five grains and when cooked would have five to six ingrediants ahead of meat...My thing I would feed the RC first of those two but there are some ingrediants that are at least HIGHLY??able

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm beginning to think that we need a PhD in feline nutrition to understand this stuff! I'm trying but just getting more confused! (I think RC is kind of expensive too, but I know a lot of people get it cheap where they live!). I'm trying to find a good food for Z and what I think is good she just doesn't like. So far Iams is our compromise... but I'm trying to convince her. Wish me luck trying to change a cats mind! (She does well on it, but as Amykins said, too much CORN)

Incidentally Amykins, I wrote an entire article for my thesis on the suffix -kins, and I am delighted (!) with your pseudonym.

amykins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

umm yup they are .///// barley is not nearly as digestable as wheat ... brown rice is good but harder to digest than white oatmeal is good ... the food she mentioned have two meats and five grains and when cooked would have five to six ingrediants ahead of meat...My thing I would feed the RC first of those two but there are some ingrediants that are at least HIGHLY??able
Can I ask what you mean about "when cooked" my food would have other ingredients ahead of meat? I realize you're a fan of Royal Canin and it does work for some animals, but I did a ton of research on foods for my cat and Nature's Variety was the one recommended to me time and time again for both my cat and my dog.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amykins

Can I ask what you mean about "when cooked" my food would have other ingredients ahead of meat? I realize you're a fan of Royal Canin and it does work for some animals, but I did a ton of research on foods for my cat and Nature's Variety was the one recommended to me time and time again for both my cat and my dog.
beef it about 66% water ... ingrediants are listed by wt prior to cooking ... so minus h2o wt and most of the fat it would be about the 5 or 6th ingrediant ... beef meal on the other hand is beef that had the h2o and most fat removed prior to cooking so it stay the same ...

5lbs fresh beef = 1lb beef meal

so if listed after cooking your ingrediants would be barley , br rice , oatmeal ..... .two or three places later beef and then fish

I think RC is a good food it is far from a favorite... I happen to feed on animal raw/ canned , one dry and one dry and raw I personalize to the animal

amykins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

beef it about 66% water ... ingrediants are listed by wt prior to cooking ... so minus h2o wt and most of the fat it would be about the 5 or 6th ingrediant ... beef meal on the other hand is beef that had the h2o and most fat removed prior to cooking so it stay the same ...

5lbs fresh beef = 1lb beef meal

so if listed after cooking your ingrediants would be barley , br rice , oatmeal ..... .two or three places later beef and then fish

I think RC is a good food it is far from a favorite... I happen to feed on animal raw/ canned , one dry and one dry and raw I personalize to the animal
Okay, but overall, even after cooked weight does Nature's Variety have more meat than Royal Canin?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ingredients
Chicken meal, brown rice, corn, corn gluten meal, rice, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), chicken, pea fiber, natural chicken flavor, beet pulp (sugar removed), wheat gluten, dried brewers yeast, rice hulls, sodium silico aluminate, fructo-oligosaccharides, soya oil, salmon oil, sodium chloride, calcium sulfate, dried egg powder, potassium chloride, L-lysine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, green tea extract.

I don't like feeding any sort of food with corn or corn gluten in it and I would be very careful with wheat based foods. Being that cats are natural carnivores, I also believe they should be on a food that is more meat and organ filled.

The ingredient list on the cat kibble Mittens is on is as follows (Nature's Variety Beef and Barley Medley):

Beef( where listed on ingrediants , Barley, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Flaxseed, BEEF where it should be Menhaden Fish[COLOR], Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite, Flaxseed Oil, Freeze Dried Beef, Freeze Dried Beef Liver, Freeze Dried Salmon Oil,Menhaden Fish where it should be Cottage Cheese, Apples, Cranberries, Whole Eggs, Kelp, Parsley, Artichoke, Inulin, Rosemary, Sage, Clove, Fermentation Products (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C), Carotene, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Folic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Ferrous Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Taurine, and Vitamin B12 Supplement.

I would say no since the meat is the fifth and sixth ingrediants rather than the first... an ave 15lb bag would have three lbs of chn meal ... I would guess with the beef being sixth and about 12th I would imagine has about 18 ounces of meat , though it is hard to say ... Beef at a lb fresh is 4.5 to 5.5 ounce of meal ( what it is when the h2o is out)

appr 1 lb of meal if first ingrediant per 5lbs

appr 5 ounces of fresh if first ingrdiant

the RC has alot more meat

amykins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Ingredients
Chicken meal, brown rice, corn, corn gluten meal, rice, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid), chicken, pea fiber, natural chicken flavor, beet pulp (sugar removed), wheat gluten, dried brewers yeast, rice hulls, sodium silico aluminate, fructo-oligosaccharides, soya oil, salmon oil, sodium chloride, calcium sulfate, dried egg powder, potassium chloride, L-lysine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, sodium tripolyphosphate, taurine, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C*), niacin, biotin, riboflavin (vitamin B2), d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid], Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, copper sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, calcium iodate], L-carnitine, green tea extract.

I don't like feeding any sort of food with corn or corn gluten in it and I would be very careful with wheat based foods. Being that cats are natural carnivores, I also believe they should be on a food that is more meat and organ filled.

The ingredient list on the cat kibble Mittens is on is as follows (Nature's Variety Beef and Barley Medley):

Beef( where listed on ingrediants , Barley, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Flaxseed, BEEF where it should be Menhaden Fish[COLOR], Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Montmorillonite, Flaxseed Oil, Freeze Dried Beef, Freeze Dried Beef Liver, Freeze Dried Salmon Oil,Menhaden Fish where it should be Cottage Cheese, Apples, Cranberries, Whole Eggs, Kelp, Parsley, Artichoke, Inulin, Rosemary, Sage, Clove, Fermentation Products (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product Dehydrated, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product Dehydrated), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C), Carotene, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Folic Acid, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Ferrous Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Taurine, and Vitamin B12 Supplement.

I would say no since the meat is the fifth and sixth ingrediants rather than the first... an ave 15lb bag would have three lbs of chn meal ... I would guess with the beef being sixth and about 12th I would imagine has about 18 ounces of meat , though it is hard to say ... Beef at a lb fresh is 4.5 to 5.5 ounce of meal ( what it is when the h2o is out)

appr 1 lb of meal if first ingrediant per 5lbs

appr 5 ounces of fresh if first ingrdiant

the RC has alot more meat
Hmm, interesting- I'll say that. I'm not trying to start an argument here- I just won't feed anything that has corn in it. It's my personal opinion that a high quality food shouldn't have corn in it. I don't feed my dog anything with corn, etc. in it and I was applying my Canine Nutrition knowledge here. Let's agree to disagree.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Amykins

Hmm, interesting- I'll say that. I'm not trying to start an argument here- I just won't feed anything that has corn in it. It's my personal opinion that a high quality food shouldn't have corn in it. I don't feed my dog anything with corn, etc. in it and I was applying my Canine Nutrition knowledge here. Let's agree to disagree.
I avoid corn also ... but you asked which had more meat not which had corn... ohh and only 50% canine tranfers to feline
.... if you pm me I will send you a list of no grd corn, no by product , no soy, no more than one meat to one and half grains ,no chemical preservatives that kitty can digest easy

corn is a rose thorn... as in cats it is about the 4-6th top allergy rather one or two in a dog ...