Royal Canin Renal OOS

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I got a hold of a live person at Royal Canin and that blue labeled can on Amazon is NOT theirs.Now I know why my vet won;t approve prescriptions on Amazon.
Anyway, the representative was honest and said that every so often the focus is on another illness and foods for that area are concentrated on in the manufacturing. This time around it happened to be feline renal foods that got so low in stock that the recovery will take ANOTHER MONTH to get back on track..(nice).
It's like playing roulette.."which disease prescription foods will get the shortage next?!"
So, fellow renal moms and dads.....hang in there.
I told the rep I appreciated his honest explanation rather than the generic letter like the one Mac and Cats posted above.
He said he knows what it is like because he has a dog that needs prescription food (another brand) and he went through the eact same thing.
He is passing my call complaints to the next level of higher-ups in the Consumer Dept chain.
I 100% have no doubt that the Amazon one is a knock off and I would never buy it from Amazon. Although, I was looking at my options on Chewy today as my oldest actually ate a can of the T flavor this morning. I was looking to see if they had it in stock on Chewy and then went into my prescription page to see if I had the prescription card uploaded. I noticed that the E loaf can has changed on Chewy's website, but only under my prescription page and not under the actual listing for the food?
1693776212170.png

I do not ever recall the can looking like this in the past and I've been buying it for years. Does anyone else remember it looking like this or am I just nuts? I trust Chewy to send me the real product. The cans I have now that I bought over a month ago look like the cans that I've always remembered them as, but I actually don't remember what they looked like 7+ years ago when I first started buying this product. This must be where I origionally saw this label and why I wondered if they were changing the can/packaging. I know you said that Royal Canin said that is not their packaging at all, so why would Chewy have this in their database? Seems weird.

Anyway, I'm glad my old man ate some of the T flavor today (I haven't tried to give it to him for awhile) because I only have 5 cans of the E left and apparently the D is now out of stock everywhere else too. I do have almost a full case of the T and D. So, I'm hoping if I rotate, we will be able to stretch out the E flavor until it's back in stock. I ordered one more case of the T to have on hand. He also eats Fancy Feast and Tiny Tasters, but will eat at least one can (or half depending on the flavor) of the RC Renal flavors. He won't touch any of the Hills options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The whole thing is a real pain. I am trying to stretch out my supply. To get a cat used to eating other foods one has to ease them into it and mix it bit by bit. it takes time. Then all of a sudden,just when the cat is able to digest the mix, everything stops and we go back to 'normal"? (It is so tough to get a renal cat to eat ANYTHING)
As for Chewy..I totally trust them to sent me the real deal. But you say that blue can was around almost a decade ago. Perhaps the customer rep has not been an employee so long as to recognize the blue can? I dunno. But one thing I definitely know...it is not worth $160.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The whole thing is a real pain. I am trying to stretch out my supply. To get a cat used to eating other foods one has to ease them into it and mix it bit by bit. it takes time. Then all of a sudden,just when the cat is able to digest the mix, everything stops and we go back to 'normal"? (It is so tough to get a renal cat to eat ANYTHING)
As for Chewy..I totally trust them to sent me the real deal. But you say that blue can was around almost a decade ago. Perhaps the customer rep has not been an employee so long as to recognize the blue can? I dunno. But one thing I definitely know...it is not worth $160.
I don't ever remember the can looking like that. I also wasn't buying on Chewy back then and my account is only a couple years old. So, I'm not sure why that can would appear under my prescriptions if it isn't sort of current?

I've never had much luck with mixing the cans with my guy, but maybe I've been adding to much when I try it? I'll try to just add a tiny bit and see how that goes. Probably better for me to try mixing it with Fancy Feast since he'd probably rather eat that 100% of the time. The only reason my guy is even eating and at the weight he is at is because he is on a daily steroid. I'm just relieved he's eating now even if it isn't exactly the right diet for him. Good luck with your kitty and I hope this shortage is over sooner than we expect!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is an informative article on the shortages posted last month, Aug 16,2023.
Remember the Toilet Paper Scramble?! We're not far from it as far as prescription pet food goes.
Are you hording?

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Supposedly, my autoship of the Renal E will be shipping soon from Chewy. I have received 3 out of stock notifications on that autoship for it in the past month and a half. It still says OOS on the website, but maybe they're just shipping to the autoship backlog first? It still says OOS on Petsmart and Petco's website as well. I'm down to 3 cans left here at home. I will be surprised if it actually ships and will report back.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat will eat the T. Not her favorite, but she will eat it if she is very hungry. Her favorite are the tastiest D and E which I am hoping will come back soon. I have an order in at the Vet in the hopes that they will honor the Vet supply sooner than the online.
She loves the taste and will eat the Hill's renal stews , but something about it makes her puke, even if I mix a small amount in with the Royal, so the cans that I have are a no-no..
I must say I have been stocking up on the T ...just in case. I have 9 cans of E left ,but none of her favorite D. So I am topping he T with a freeze dried Liver or chicken and she eats it, but not with the tail -up in-the-air satisfaction when she walks away from the meal.
Thanks for the heads-up about the auto customers.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat will eat the T. Not her favorite, but she will eat it if she is very hungry. Her favorite are the tastiest D and E which I am hoping will come back soon. I have an order in at the Vet in the hopes that they will honor the Vet supply sooner than the online.
She loves the taste and will eat the Hill's renal stews , but something about it makes her puke, even if I mix a small amount in with the Royal, so the cans that I have are a no-no..
I must say I have been stocking up on the T ...just in case. I have 9 cans of E left ,but none of her favorite D. So I am topping he T with a freeze dried Liver or chicken and she eats it, but not with the tail -up in-the-air satisfaction when she walks away from the meal.
Thanks for the heads-up about the auto customers.
Just letting you know that my autoship order from Chewy did in fact ship! I'm supposed to get it on Monday. I have 3 cans left of the E and that should get me through until then. Still says OOS on the Chewy website. Also says OOS on Petsmart, but I can apparently buy it from a location a couple towns over from me (about a 30 min drive). Petco is also still OOS.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just placed an order with my vet hoping that they would ship a vet bulksupply sooner than a residential order.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FYI, Royal Canin Renal E is now back in stock on the Chewy website and instock for me locally at Petsmart (not available for order online though).

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up. I am waiting for the D especially. I have 2 cans of E left , but she needs the variety of TD an E. I think she is fed up with the taste of T and E because yesterday she wouldn;t eat and so I boiled a chicken breast that was in the freezer, made a pate and she had some broth on the side and couldn't get enough of either one. I had to stop her from hogging it up lest she spew! I am ordering 1 case of the E now. Stocking up. Reminds me of Covid Toilet Paper hording times.

I have an order in at the vet and will call them on Monday.
But you know what is strange?....I requested 3 times that I be put on the Back-in-Stock email notification and I have yet to receive an email notification! Thank you for your post! :thanks:

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up. I am waiting for the D especially. I have 2 cans of E left , but she needs the variety of TD an E. I think she is fed up with the taste of T and E because yesterday she wouldn;t eat and so I boiled a chicken breast that was in the freezer, made a pate and she had some broth on the side and couldn't get enough of either one. I had to stop her from hogging it up lest she spew! I am ordering 1 case of the E now. Stocking up. Reminds me of Covid Toilet Paper hording times.

I have an order in at the vet and will call them on Monday.
But you know what is strange?....I requested 3 times that I be put on the Back-in-Stock email notification and I have yet to receive an email notification! Thank you for your post! :thanks:
Bummer! I wish I could give you a few cans that I have. Not sure what stage your cat is, but have you tried this Royal Canin Aging 12+ food? It's .56% phosphorus on DMB so not quite as low as the prescription, but still pretty low. They have a pate in 5oz and a kind that looks just like the T & D in a 3oz. It has Carageean, but my understanding is there are two types of Carageean and supposedly, the kind they put in food is not the same as the kind people are worried about. I got some of the pate recently and my cats seem to like it. Better fed than not fed! (Also, sorry if I already suggested this to you.)

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bummer! I wish I could give you a few cans that I have. Not sure what stage your cat is, but have you tried this Royal Canin Aging 12+ food? It's .56% phosphorus on DMB so not quite as low as the prescription, but still pretty low. They have a pate in 5oz and a kind that looks just like the T & D in a 3oz. It has Carageean, but my understanding is there are two types of Carageean and supposedly, the kind they put in food is not the same as the kind people are worried about. I got some of the pate recently and my cats seem to like it. Better fed than not fed! (Also, sorry if I already suggested this to you.)
Thanks. I will try and stick with the ones she has been eating by making do. I would hate to try and start her on something else and then deal with vomiting again when it is gradually mixed in. Somehow she does not do well when another type is introduced, even though it may be Royal Canin.. I tried Hill's renal stews with less than 1/2 tsp mixed in and she got sick several times to the point where I had to take her in for a Cerenia shot and SubQ fluids.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I will try and stick with the ones she has been eating by making do. I would hate to try and start her on something else and then deal with vomiting again when it is gradually mixed in. Somehow she does not do well when another type is introduced, even though it may be Royal Canin.. I tried Hill's renal stews with less than 1/2 tsp mixed in and she got sick several times to the point where I had to take her in for a Cerenia shot and SubQ fluids.
Oh that makes sense to not try anything new then. Hopefully D will follow soon now that E is back in stock.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a difference! I finished off my last can of renal E last night.even though kitty likes that variety she would always leave some in the dish and bug me for treats to fill her up each time.
Well today my shipment arrived and what a difference in appearance ,moisture and freshness. My cat left not even a morsel behind and couldn't wait til the next feeding. Not once did she beg me for filler treats all day. My stash had a sell by date of next year,so was still good. But...what a difference!
I am eager to see if the Renal D will have that same effect. I would love to wean her off the miratazs comp!etely. We are down to about 1/4 of the normal dose each day.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a difference! I finished off my last can of renal E last night.even though kitty likes that variety she would always leave some in the dish and bug me for treats to fill her up each time.
Well today my shipment arrived and what a difference in appearance ,moisture and freshness. My cat left not even a morsel behind and couldn't wait til the next feeding. Not once did she beg me for filler treats all day. My stash had a sell by date of next year,so was still good. But...what a difference!
I am eager to see if the Renal D will have that same effect. I would love to wean her off the miratazs comp!etely. We are down to about 1/4 of the normal dose each day.
The D flavor is now in stock on Chewy if you're in the US and in stock on Petsmart for shipping. The E flavor is also still in stock on Chewy and for order on Petsmart.

I opened a new case of the E this weekend and I noticed it seemed to look a bit more moist. I'm tempted to order some D to have on hand, but I still have about half a case of the D and the T and he isn't quite as enthusiastic about those flavors. So, I'm going to hold off. Hopefully I do not regret that decision!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I checked twice this morning and it was still OOS. You know when to hit it right.
Thanks for the heads up once again. I ordered 2 cases of the D.
Tell me, did you get any email notifications about it being back in stock?

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! I checked twice this morning and it was still OOS. You know when to hit it right.
Thanks for the heads up once again. I ordered 2 cases of the D.
Tell me, did you get any email notifications about it being back in stock?
Nope! I even signed up to received notifications, but received zero notifications. I just have each page bookmarked and just check mostly every morning to see if it's back in stock!

Edit to say: I noticed this a couple of years ago when I was waiting for our late cat's food to come back in stock. I signed up for notifications, but saw it come back in stock before I was ever notified. I can't remember when I was notified, if it was later that day or the next day. I did eventually get notified, but I had already ordered it by the time I got notified. That's when I learned that I couldn't rely on their notifications.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope! I even signed up to received notifications, but received zero notifications. I just have each page bookmarked and just check mostly every morning to see if it's back in stock!

Edit to say: I noticed this a couple of years ago when I was waiting for our late cat's food to come back in stock. I signed up for notifications, but saw it come back in stock before I was ever notified. I can't remember when I was notified, if it was later that day or the next day. I did eventually get notified, but I had already ordered it by the time I got notified. That's when I learned that I couldn't rely on their notifications.
So I guess you are a veteran and are used to this at Chewy!