Royal Canin Renal OOS

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lately Royal Canin renal D and E, the tastiest and the lowest in phosphorus in the line of their renals has been Out of Stock at Chewy.
Vets do not approve many sites for ordering because of knock -offs.
Anyone have a reputable Vendor for the Royal Canin wet renal foods?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know of any that ship outside of canada. But you might try amazon .

You could also just order directly from the vet clinic.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would contact Chewy directly and ask if it is out of stock everywhere or just in certain locations. Maybe they can make arrangements for it to be sent to from another one of their locations.

Otherwise, try PetCo, PetSmart, Pet Supplies Plus - some of pet stores I am sure the vet would consider legit. You could also contact Royal Canin directly and see how they might be able to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. The Vet does not approve the stores . The only places are Chewy and 1800petmed. Chewy has no idea about when or why!!
It seems the 2 lowest Phos varieties are out of stock.
I mixed a wee bit in with one of her Royals to make them last longer, but she puked it last time I gave it to her plain. We'll see.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks all. The Vet does not approve the stores.
Wow! Banfield Vet is located in many PetSmart's. Would think that would suffice.

There is a chance that some of the Banfield's would 'give' you a prescription so you could buy it without your vet. They did that for me years ago when I was buying Feeby script food, and I never used Banfield as her vet at all.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks to all for your input
Did you ever end up finding this? I have been waiting for it to come back into stock as well. It's the only flavor that my cats will sometimes eat. I did find a replacement (I've found it on several websites, but not sure which ones will deliver to Canada) that they are willing to eat for now, although it is higher in phosphorus and protein. They aren't eating strictly the renal food because they refuse to eat it for every meal. So, I figure it's better than only eating the other options (Fancy Feast, Tiny Tasters) that they are willing to eat.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did find it on petrx,but it is almost 85 bucks for a case. Luckily my vet does not approve prescriptions from them and they had a case at the clinic and back ordered me some. But for some strange reason, the E and D are out of stock all over. I am assuming the less tasty one, the T will be as well very soon. I have been trying to make my supply last by adding in a teensy amount of Hills renal tuna and veg stew to stretch the Royal Canin and also add some taste,and the chicken and veg stew. I would love to know the reason,but Royal Canin says they haven't a clue!?!!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did find it on petrx,but it is almost 85 bucks for a case. Luckily my vet does not approve prescriptions from them and they had a case at the clinic and back ordered me some. But for some strange reason, the E and D are out of stock all over. I am assuming the less tasty one, the T will be as well very soon. I have been trying to make my supply last by adding in a teensy amount of Hills renal tuna and veg stew to stretch the Royal Canin and also add some taste,and the chicken and veg stew. I would love to know the reason,but Royal Canin says they haven't a clue!?!!
I have been trying to make ours last as well. I have two cats in stage 2, but they won't eat the prescription for every meal, unfortunately. I also emailed RC and did not find their response satisfactory or helpful. For those intrested, here is their response:
"Thank you for reaching out to Royal Canin,

I understand your concern and I am very sorry to learn that you are having difficulty acquiring this product. Rest assured the product is not discontinued. We are seeing some intermittent out of stock due to high demand. While our teams are hard at work to have product available as soon as possible, we do not have an estimated restock date to provide at this time. We apologize for the frustration.

While we do not currently have access to each clinic’s personal inventory, you are welcome to reach out to these online retailers to inquire about current availability. Some potential online retailers are:

Banfield Home Delivery - www.banfield.com
PetCareRX - www.petcarerx.com
RXPetFood- rxpetfood.com
Covetrus- www.covetrus.com
VetSource- www.vetsource.com
Petsmart- www.petsmart.com
Chewy- www.chewy.com "

I suspect they are changing the can/labeling and that is why it is currently out of stock. The reason I think this is I noticed a different can/label on some websites/internet searching. I have been feeding this same food to various cats for over 7 years and have never seen the new labeling until now. I can confirm that T is the least tasty flavor. Although, my late cat ate that flavor for YEARS (I let him pick which one he wanted) and then when he got further into the disease, he suddenly didn't want to eat it and switched to favoring the D flavor. My current cats turn their noses up at it, so I have a case of each sitting here that I keep trying to mix into their other foods and they leave most of it on the plate.

Here is a photo of the "new" label:
1693439705711.png

Side note: Holy Sh*t, you gotta love the price gouging on Amazon.

This is the label I'm used to for the last 7+ years:

1693439809276.png

I don't know why companies are reluctant to share this information, but I'm guessing it's because they think it will make them look bad. I recently came across the same type of answer from Tazo Tea when I inquired about why I couldn't find a specific flavor for the last 6 months. I just got a shoulder shrug and a "I can assure you it is still in production and available". They did send me 3 coupons for a free box, which doesn't help at all if I can't find the product!! I'll be interested to know how long it takes for your vet to get it!

Edit: It just occured to me that maybe the label/can is different depending on what country you're in. If someone in another country besides the US can confirm what label they usually see, that would be helpful! Thank you in advance!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the same thing happening with urinary so during the pandemic and briefly had to switch Kabuto to the hills version. Thankfuly he hasn't had any issues with going between the two but I do understand how difficult it can be.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that blue can and just chalked it up to an amazon knock off. who knows? Notice On the can it says it is in a gel? My vet refuses to approve prescription orders from amazon.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw that blue can and just chalked it up to an amazon knock off. who knows? Notice On the can it says it is in a gel? My vet refuses to approve prescription orders from amazon.
Oh I totally know that Amazon is not a credible place to buy it. I've seen it on other websites as well, I was just using it as an example.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I got a hold of a live person at Royal Canin and that blue labeled can on Amazon is NOT theirs.Now I know why my vet won;t approve prescriptions on Amazon.
Anyway, the representative was honest and said that every so often the focus is on another illness and foods for that area are concentrated on in the manufacturing. This time around it happened to be feline renal foods that got so low in stock that the recovery will take ANOTHER MONTH to get back on track..(nice).
It's like playing roulette.."which disease prescription foods will get the shortage next?!"
So, fellow renal moms and dads.....hang in there.
I told the rep I appreciated his honest explanation rather than the generic letter like the one Mac and Cats posted above.
He said he knows what it is like because he has a dog that needs prescription food (another brand) and he went through the eact same thing.
He is passing my call complaints to the next level of higher-ups in the Consumer Dept chain.

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have also noticed that Amazon seems to have quite a few knockoff products on there (electronics, not on food mind you), great selection, but also lots of scams.

Chewy is also our provider for prescription foods, and they have run out as well in the past, but luckily only for a couple of weeks during the pandemic. To be safe, I now always stock a spare 17.7lbs bag of their prescription stuff, and being airtight sealed in nitrogen I don't think there is any true freshness penalty, and it gives peace of mind knowing that if pandemic 2.0 or WW3 breaks out, at least there's always a completely unused full bag spare that gets cycled when another is order in reserve.

Strategic porker reserve!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also noticed that Amazon seems to have quite a few knockoff products on there (electronics, not on food mind you), great selection, but also lots of scams.

Chewy is also our provider for prescription foods, and they have run out as well in the past, but luckily only for a couple of weeks during the pandemic. To be safe, I now always stock a spare 17.7lbs bag of their prescription stuff, and being airtight sealed in nitrogen I don't think there is any true freshness penalty, and it gives peace of mind knowing that if pandemic 2.0 or WW3 breaks out, at least there's always a completely unused full bag spare that gets cycled when another is order in reserve.

Strategic porker reserve!
I do chewy as well. But they got hit big time with that summer shortage.
As for Amazon, I have gotten several refunds after ordering items only to take them out of the package and they were NOTHING like the item advertised. Amazon knows this is going on and is quick to make up for it when you call them. But I think it take a lot of nerve to sell knock off prescription foods and charge twice the price tool!