Road trip with Mr. Cat & friends!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ingredients of Grant's Traditional Recipe Haggis are: Lamb (55%), Oatmeal (19%), Scottish Water, Onion, Salt, Spices. I've no idea what "Scottish Water" consists of, but I must say I found this product to be delicious!

:tounge2:

=^..^=

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, remember you asked for it!

A Detailed Haggis Recipe

1 sheep's stomach, thoroughly cleaned
The liver, heart, and lights (lungs) of the sheep
1 lb Beef suet
2 large Onions
2 tb Salt
1 ts Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 ts Cayenne or red pepper
1/2 ts Allspice
2 lb Dry oatmeal (the old-fashioned, slow-cooking kind)
2-3 cups broth (in which the liver, heart and lights were cooked)

What you need: Canning kettle or a large spaghetti pot, 16- to 20 quart size with a lid to fit it; meat grinder; cheesecloth

What to do: If the butcher has not already cut apart and trimmed the heart, liver and lungs, do that first. It involves cutting the lungs off the windpipe, cutting the heart off the large blood vessels and cutting it open to rinse it, so that it can cook more quickly. The liver, too, has to be freed from the rest. Put them in a 4-quart pot with 2 to 3 cups water, bring to a boil, and simmer for about an hour and a half. Let it all cool, and keep the broth.

Run the liver and heart through the meat grinder. Take the lungs and cut out as much of the gristly part as you easily can, then run them through the grinder, too. Next, put the raw beef suet through the grinder. As you finish grinding each thing, put it in the big kettle. Peel, slice and chop the onions, then add them to the meat in the kettle. Add the salt and spices and mix.

The oatmeal comes next, and while it is customary to toast it or brown it very lightly in the oven or in a heavy bottomed pan on top of the stove, this is not absolutely necessary. When the oatmeal has been thoroughly mixed with the rest of it, add the 2 cups of the broth left from boiling the meat. See if when you take a handful, it sticks together. If it does, do not add the third cup of broth. If it is still crumbly and will not hold together very well, add the rest of the broth and mix thoroughly. Have the stomach smooth side out and stuff it with the mixture, about three-quarters full. Sew up the openings. Wrap it in cheesecloth, so that when it is cooked you can handle it.

Now, wash out the kettle and bring about 2 gallons of water to a boil in it. Put in the haggis and prick it all over with a skewer so that it does not burst. You will want to do this a couple of times early in the cooking span. Boil the haggis gently for about 4 or 5 hours. If you did not have any cheesecloth for wrapping the haggis, you can use a large clean dishtowel. Work it under with kitchen spoons to make a sling with which you can lift out the haggis in one piece. You will probably want to wear lined rubber gloves to protect your hands from the hot water while you lift it out with the wet cloth. (You put the dish cloth in the pot only after the haggis is done; you do not cook the towel with the haggis as you would the cheesecloth.)

Note: Even if the butcher has cleaned the stomach, you will probably want to go over it again. Turn the stomach shaggy side out and rinse. Rub it in a sinkful of cold water. Change the water and repeat as many times as necessary, until the water stays pretty clear and handling it does not produce much sediment as the water drains out of the sink.

:tounge2:

=^..^=

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries, I'll have the convoy stop at the next McDonald's.

*wonders if they have McHaggis on the menu*

=^..^=

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EEEEEEEK!!!!!!
Joe just told me we're running out of spam so he ordered 3 large cases of Haggis. We're going to have to EAT that stuff!!

threeleggedkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This roadtrip is a HOOT !!
I love it ! Now, as far as those CAT BOOKS are concerned: I know
they exhist. I had them in my hands in June and sent them on to Nena10 in July. . ... Did you send them on, Nena ??? Oh, Nena. . . . . . .

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Somebody should have woken me up - I missed all the excitement!
Glad it wasn't Spam, anyway! Not that I don't love it, but there is too much of a good thing! What about the grill idea? Let's go to Cindy & Bill's, Hunh gang, hunh? Isn't there a wedding to celebrate there, too? YIPPPEEEE :tounge2:

And Debby - can't you litterbox train little Amber? Then we can stop worrying about these nappies.... They're everywhere!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Haggis is on the menu, I think I'll become a vegetarian. Never had it, never will. My parents used to make pig's stomach in a similar manner. . . Needless to say, I wasn't happy with those meals. Kumbulu, can you share the sick bag?

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brenda! Was your mom from Scotland too? My mom was, but the worst I had to eat was tripe, which wasn't bad- until I found out what it was. I didn't have any haggis at the last stop. If my mother wouldn't eat it, who am I to break tradition? Watch out! Get
your head in the window! Kumbulu's not feeling well, and the wind's blowing this way.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeanie, Neither of my parents was from Scotland. She grew up in a farm family. My dad's family was from a very small town in Perry County, PA. Very rural, too. They also eat scrappel, yuk.

When I cook a turkey, my cats get all the insides they put in there.

Poor Kumbulu, anyone have any Pepto Bismol?

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, we're stopping here for a music break. It's to hear the band Jack Off Jill!

Left to right: Robin Moulder, bass; Laura Simpson, drums; Jessicka, vocals; Ho-Ho Spade, guitar

"JOJ" has been told we're cat lovers. So, they're going to play My Cat.

Thank you. Now, everybody back in their vehicles and let's continue on!

=^..^=

threeleggedkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had Haggis. Love Scrapple and fried mush. . . . .
Jack Off Jill looksinteresting, but if she is cooking the scrapple; make sure she washes her hands. . . .(LOL) This trip has become very popular. I can't even see the end of the convoy anymore. . . . speaking of convoys; where is KittyFoot? and that "Maven of the Fashion World", MeMe?

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Joe!!! That haggis recipe was truley disgusting!!!
I think I too will stick to spam!:tounge2:

Don't worry about the diapers guys...I have decided to just throw them out the window as we go.... :LOL: (not really I wouldn't litter like that, besides that cop behind us might not like one landing on his windshield.) :laughing: But hey...if he pulls us over, maybe we could just bribe him with some haggis!!:tounge2:

Darlene...I like scrapple too!!!
Haven't had it for ages!!! I like lots of sausage in it!