Road trip with Mr. Cat & friends!!!!!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well it's nothing bad. I used to have a recipe for it...my scrapple had sausage in it, and I think it was cornmeal or something like that...gosh it's been years and years since I made it, but I remember I really liked it!!! I would slice it thin and fry it.
Maybe Darlene can shed some light on what is actually in it since I can't remember!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If haggis is the only thing on the menu, I think it's time to start a crash diet!

Hey - I know of Jack Off Jill! They're a quasi-goth band. How fun.
:vampireL:

I agree, we need to head down to Cindy and Bill's and sample some of Bill's famous grilling. Since we have a drought, outdoor grills have been prohibited almost all summer
I've been DYING to have a good grilled steak!!!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way scrapple was explained to me was not as good sounding as what Debby said! I've always heard it's the leftover pig parts.

I never really ate it for that reason. If it's just sausage, maybe I'll have to try it.

Maybe the Pennsylvania Dutch version is different from other parts of the country.

Steak sounds like a much better idea.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by bren.1
The way scrapple was explained to me was not as good sounding as what Debby said! I've always heard it's the leftover pig parts.
Oh my!!! Well the scrapple I made sure as heck wasn't!!!

I don't know how it is made anywhere else, though.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure that wasn't cornmeal mush, Debby? I tasted that, and it wasn't bad--with syrup.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I made scrapple back years and years ago...but I can't remember what was in it, except sausage, and I think cornmeal...but I know I didn't put any leftover pig parts in it! :laughing:

Maybe when we find the cat books we will find my recipe for scrapple!!! :LOL:

Where is Darlene? She can tell us what is in scrapple!! Maybe it IS leftover pigparts...but i know that's not how I made mine!

Where did Joe go? He is the food expert here!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sooo glad I brought my cell phone along on this trip!!!! I called my mother and she gave me her receipe for Scrapple. Here it is:

Scrapple

2 pounds ground lean pork
1 lb beef liver
1 cup buckwheat flour
3 cups yellow corn meal
4 tablespoons salt
4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons sage
2 teaspoons ground mace
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground thyme
2 teaspoons whole sweet marjoram
3 quarts of water
In a large pot, add the water and bring to a boil. Add the liver and boil 10 minutes. Remove the liver and either run through a chopper or grab a knife and cut it in as small pieces as you can. Return to pot. Add the ground pork, a little at a time, and stir. If you add the pork all at once, you will end up with a big "clump". Boil at about a simmer for 20 minutes.

In a large bowl mix the buckwheat flour, corn meal, salt, and spices; add to meat and broth slowly, constanstanly stirring. Simmer gently for one hour, stirring very frequently. Use lowest possible heat, as mixture scorches easily.

Pour into greased loaf pans, (you will need two - this receipt will make two four pound pans for a total of eight pounds) bounce the pans a couple of times so that the Scrapple settles, and let cool. At this point it is best to let the let the Scrapple set in the refigerator overnight.

Now, as you arise in the morning, remove the scrapple from the refer and cut into to 3/8 inch slices. To freeze, lay a sheet of waxed paper between slices and then put in ziplock bags and into the freezer.

To serve, thaw and dust with flour and fry in either bacon grease or lard until golden brown. Should you decide to use "Pam" or other such modern devices, you will not only ruin the Scrapple, but my grandmother, and perhaps her grandmother who developed this receipt will descend upon you and rack vengeance beyond imagination.

Some people prefer their Scrapple with maple syrup. Personally, I like to lay a couple of slices of Scrapple along two fried eggs, put lots of butter on the Scrapple, then grab my pepper mill and make everything look like a gravel truck just past over it. And, as you eat, mix the eggs and Scrapple together and use a good "pusher" (fresh crusty bread) to get it together. Enjoy.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lorie, We will NOT argue with tradition! We're being good, Grandma! You know, I was told a long time ago that if we knew what went into hot dogs we wouldn't eat them. So I never asked. I love them! Scrapple sounds harmless, but fattening as all get out.

Lorie, you're still up in the plane aren't you? Can you see Mr. Cat and Britney's car? We need instructions. Mel! Mel Gibson, move over and give me a little bit of room, will you? Thank you, Braveheart!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeanie, we got back a little while ago but we did see Mr. Cat's car speeding down the road. He's MILES ahead of everyone else. Hahahaha!!!! Now, all you have to do is keep following those flashing red lights. There's five police cars all following Mr. Cat's car and I don't think he even knows.....yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Britney and I have been scouting ahead of the main convoy, looking for a place where we can all lay over for a couple of days. Yes, the police were chasing us for a while but we managed to loose them when we got off the main road.

When we stopped for a moment to decide upon a further route, we were approched by a coyote. He told us about a place where the convoy could stay.

And here it is! Yes, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s time for me to begin keeping a. . . .

Mind, Death Valley National Park is a strange place. But I know youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll enjoy yourselves.

Our lodging facility will be whatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s known as Scottieâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Castle, a mansion constructed during the 1920s by millionaire Albert Mussey Johnson and local outdoorsman Walter Scott (known as Death Valley Scottie). Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s located on one of the few creeks coming down from the mountains; and in fact the spacious living room is air cooled via an ingenious use of the creekâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s flowing water: a virtual wall of falling water covers one side of the room, keeping the temperature at a comfortable level.

So park your vehicle, stretch your legs and explore! Just remember: Bring plenty of water with you.

=^..^=

P.S.: If you have any questions, please feel free to ask our pleasant desert guide (below).

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are we there yet? Is there going to be more to eat than Haggis and Spam? Please?!

Regarding scrapple, it seems I have been unfairly prejudiced toward it. I just remember my parents making it when they butchered a few pigs, so I thought it was all the nasty parts. I did see a recipe or 2 that called for liver (YUK!) and pig's knuckles (another YUK!), so maybe I will stand by my decision not to try it after all.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, Brenda! Scottie's Castle is just ahead! I'm sure they'll have rattlesnake stew on the menu. I can't believe it's so cool. Well, that's what they say about the desert-cool at night.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the recipe Lorie! That sounds just like I made it, except I didn't put the liver in it. Yeck.

So....we are following Mr. Cat now...where is he taking us?? I am sure glad the cops stopped chasing us!!!

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh he's taking us to Scottie's castle!!! I see!!!! But I will pass on rattlesnake stew!!! I think I still have a Big Mac stashed in my diaper bag....with the CLEAN diapers that is!! :laughing:

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmmhmmmm---Miss Debby, When I offered the McDonald's coupons, I didn't mean ALL of them!! I guess it's another Spam sandwich for Mel and me.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the castle will even serve one of my dad's old favorites. It's a Chinese reciepe called Ox Tail Soup, and it's even made with real ox tails. It's not bad but you have to eat it very carefully because the soup is full of little bones from the ox's tails.
(This soup really does exist.)

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lorie, Believe it or not, my mother made ox tail soup about once every two weeks! She was from Glasgow. It was really good. I never questioned the "ox tail" part. It was just a beef base, as far as I knew. I don't have any of her soup recipes because she was constantly making soup, especially what she called Scotch (not Scottish) broth. I got sick of eating soup, but now I wish I had that recipe; I think I'll look for it.

jeanie g.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look what I found!

The oxtail was once really from an ox but nowadays the term generally refers to beef or veal tail. Though it's quite bony, this cut of meat is very flavorful. Because it can be extremely tough (depending on the age of the animal), oxtail requires long, slow braising. It's often used for stews or soups such as the hearty English classic oxtail soup, which includes vegetables, barley and herbs and is often flavored with SHERRY or MADEIRA.

Maybe they have this at Scotty's Castle. He must have come from Scotland too! Hey, Lorie, you'd better find a landing strip. We're almost there!!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jeanie, thanks for the interesting information!
I didn't realize people in Scotland made Ox Tail Soup too, I learned something new.

I worked at a Chinese restraunt(sp?) when I was in high school. The Chinese didn't like to throw away any food, so if we worked until closing they let us take home left-over food from the day's cooking. My dad always liked it when I brought some of that soup home.

Oh look!!! I just found a place for us to land!