Revolution...Does it burn?

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's that time of the month again and my cats always run and hide when I get out the little vials of Revolution. They don't mind their claws being trimmed or any other grooming, but they HATE having the Revolution put on them. I've asked the Vet about this before and she says they don't like the smell but I think it must be more than that.

Tonight, when I put it on Lilly as I rubbed it into the spot between her shoulders a lot of hair came off. Not just a few hairs but a large clump of it. That was unusual
plus, they always act like I'm burning them with a hot poker. Poor babies. I just can't imagine that the alcohol in it can make their skin burn that much.

Has anyone else noticed this with Revolution?

Ooops...posted in behavior...should have been grooming. Mods...can you move please? Thanks.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't like it either. I figured it was just the smell since I can't stand it and my nose isn't anywhere near what theirs is.
I guess the only way to figure out if it burns is to try little dab of it on your arm. It shouldn't hurt you since it's formulated for something cat sized, and we all know cats are more sensitive to chemicals than we are. (plus that stuff is used on our food crops..)

The hair falling out is troubling...

jil05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our Timmy had a reaction to the Revolution. His neck got all red and he lost a lot of hair there, so we had to switch back to Advantage. He seems to do much better on that. Of course, he has a lot of allergies so it may have been that.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
chloe always licks hers off. the vet kept trying to tell me i wasnt putting it in the right spot but apparently chloe can turn her head all the way around LOL
patchy runs whenever i get anything out the she associates with the vet

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

chloe always licks hers off. the vet kept trying to tell me i wasnt putting it in the right spot but apparently chloe can turn her head all the way around LOL
It goes on the back of the head/top of the neck, just barely below the ears. Cats cannot lick the backs of their heads, they can lick between their shoulders however.

I think they just copied the instructions on how and where to put it on dogs, not thinking or caring that cats are more flexible.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Revolution on Bijou but had to switch to Advantage for Mika as she had a bad reaction to Revolution. I'd recommend trying Advantage next time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We used to use Advantage in the past, but when we moved here to Texas the Vet suggested Revolution for it's heartworm control. Since our cats are inside only I'll ask if we can switch. I still have another month's treatment left of the Revolution and will use it up next month since it's so expensive.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

as I rubbed it into the spot between her shoulders a lot of hair came off.
Do you always rub it in? I just looked up the package information online, and it does say "Do not massage Revolution into the skin."

Is it possible you are scratching the skin with the applicator? (I don't use Revolution, but I know that Frontline comes in a plastic tube that can scratch if you aren't careful; I thought it might be similar). The alcohol in it on broken skin could well sting or burn.

It also says "Like all medicines, Revolution has some side effects. The most common is hair loss at the site of application with or without inflammation (redness, flaking) in cats." So hair loss is apparently not unusual.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It goes on the back of the head/top of the neck, just barely below the ears. Cats cannot lick the backs of their heads, they can lick between their shoulders however.

I think they just copied the instructions on how and where to put it on dogs, not thinking or caring that cats are more flexible.
thats the SAME thing the vet told me. so i took her down there, let him apply it and then let him stare in amazement when she licked it off and foamed everywhere. and i stood there with my "i told you so" look LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

Do you always rub it in? I just looked up the package information online, and it does say "Do not massage Revolution into the skin."

Is it possible you are scratching the skin with the applicator? (I don't use Revolution, but I know that Frontline comes in a plastic tube that can scratch if you aren't careful; I thought it might be similar). The alcohol in it on broken skin could well sting or burn.

It also says "Like all medicines, Revolution has some side effects. The most common is hair loss at the site of application with or without inflammation (redness, flaking) in cats." So hair loss is apparently not unusual.
When I apply it I cut the end off and then kind of wriggle the applicator on the back of their necks to get through the fur. Some time ago I tried doing it on top of the fur and it just ran off. I don't think I'm scraping her skin

Other than the hair loss during the application, she seems fine and never any other skin irritation at the site. It's more that they act like it's painful for them when I apply it. I really am gentle with them.

Forrest was actually fine with it until one time he saw Lilly freak out and ever since then he acts the same. Perhaps this is a behavior issue. We have a Vet that visits our home now, but in the past when I used to take Lilly into the Vets office she was like a cloud of fur and would drop enough hair there to make another cat. Do you think the smell and the application would stress her that much to trigger the hair release?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

We have a Vet that visits our home now, but in the past when I used to take Lilly into the Vets office she was like a cloud of fur and would drop enough hair there to make another cat. Do you think the smell and the application would stress her that much to trigger the hair release?
Sho does that too. I believe it's a stress/flight response that was originally used to help them get away, ie - predator gets a mouthful of fur instead of a good hold on the cat.
I don't know if you applying that would be stressing enough since she's comfortable with you otherwise.
I wouldn't think so and of course you're not rough with them. As I suggested, next time just try a tiny dab on the inside of your arm - if it stings then you'll know for certain.

courtney_ou - maybe e-collar your cat for a few hours until the flea treatment completely dries? I'm still certain that a cat cannot lick the back of it's own head (it's not physically possible) so maybe the flea treatment is running down lower onto her neck where she can reach.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i gave up and quit using it on her. we tried revolution and frontline. my vet was just as baffled. he said he had never seen a cat as flexible as chloe (she has a long tongue also) she gets in these weird positions where she looks like the love kitty of picasso and dali LOL. ive had kitties my whole life and have never seen one that can contort like she can.
we havent had a prob with fleas or anything in the last 2 yrs *knocks on wood* so i havent had to deal with it.
like i said, patchy runs from anything she associates with the vet. she wont even eat prescription food. she sheds big wads of fur anytime shes being held for something like flea med, nail trimming, eye meds...ANYTHING so maybe thats what the other kitty is doing

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have wondered the same thing. My cats never experienced hair loss but it seemed to be uncomfortable to them as they would try to lick it off and kinda twitch their backs. I believe it has rubbing alcohol in it, so I could see how it would burn if your kitty has sensitive skin.

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update...I kinda forgot I replied to this thread and did a search for this topic and there I was!! Well I gave my girls their first dose for the summer and the beginning of the month and one had an obvious bald spot in the same area just a few hours later! This is the first time that's happened. No reaction in my other girl. The kitty who had the reaction has had some allergy issues so she's proly super sensitive in general.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I recommend trying a different brand. My cat had a hair-loss reaction to one kind, once. I now use Advantage, which he tolerates fine. They still won't like the smell, which is strong. But you should be able to find one that doesn't trigger a bad reaction at the application site.

jeditekky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old post but maybe other people still come across it.

I have a similar problem. Can cat's smell the solution even without breaking the little tube seal?  I apply it while my cat is eating his dinner and as soon as he see's the little tube he runs away. When he returns and I apply it, he wriggles out of my grip and runs again.  Of course he gets hungry so he has to come back :) , but you can tell he is having a sook about it. I am just wondering if it is causing some burning irritation that he doesn't like.

sofiabalme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI.  I agree with all that is said.  I have a cat that can turn her head around and lick off the medicine.  She also spats at me when I apply it, and then she loses all her hair there in the spot it is applied, it pusses, then swells, and then scabs.  So, i am definitely on the hunt for an alternative.  I am not sure if it actually fell out, or if she pulled it out licking the Advantage off, creating the scab herself.  It seems that people were saying that putting it on her neck, not between her shoulder blades is an idea.  But she also has sensitive skin and an allergic reaction before (she is on super sensitive skin cat food), so I here that Capstar is another idea (that apparently does not last as long).  I might try that as well.

just saying

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had the same experience....

I have to assume it burns based on the smell and the way they run!

But worse now, my newest kitty is experiencing hair loss at the exact Revolution application site.

Not only hair loss, but ugly pinkish-red, irritated looking skin.

She's such a playful, sweet tempered cat, so she seems to be tolerating it without showing any distress. Still in all, it looks bad and is upsetting that it has happened. 

Do you know where (Country), the product is actually made? So many pet products seem to be manufactured in China these days and horrible things are happening to our pseudo-children.

Sincerely,

just sayin'

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have to say my cat had the same reaction from the Revolution. I just go this stuff and put it on three cats. My one cat walked by me and I saw something and stopped to look and her hair was gone. She kinda wiggled when I did her and I just thought she ripped her fur off because I had gotten some on her fur and it was stiff.  So I guess the fur actually fell out. So my question, what can I put on her to heal this, it really looks sore. 

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I never used flea meds on our indoor cats until we moved to FL and the cats were laying out on the lanai. With the mosquito population and the heartworm protection and fleas, I started using it. We snowbird, so when we got back to NY last year I stopped, huge mistake! I've been using Advantage and now Advanyage II forever on dogs. Last year our dog had fleas in late July and the house was infested along with the cats. What a horrible summer last year! Our local Petco was full of people looking for help. It was apparently a bad year and AdvantageII wasn't doing it.

The dog is now on Revolution and I'm keeping the the cats on it year round, I don't want to go through that again anytime soon. They haven't had any reactions to it yet. They get indignant that I dare hold them down for any reason.:lol3:

I'm glad I read to put it up higher on a cat than between the shoulder blades. The seniors have never tried to lick it but the kitten is a contortionist and she has tried. Today is dose day, so I'll put it higher.

Last edited: