Rest Well, Marley

AmeowzingWhiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, it’s been a while since I visited this site, only to tell everyone what made me tear up today. My beloved Marley, just passed after I went home. The thought of his other sister, Maisey, dying, kept me in a state of worry. I can’t share that Marley has passed anywhere around, so this is the only way I can convey what has been really hitting me on the rock. For a week or so, Marley suddenly became lethargic and apparently won't eat. I can't reach the vet on my own, I’m still a teen. It’s best to just suggest my parents to give Marley some vet appointments. Other than that, if I have the money, I could just bring Marley to the vet. But it seems that my parents won’t consider care and never wanted to spend money on healthcare for Maisey and Marley. This has been the most annoying ick I have, to the point where I make the same mistake as them, ignoring Marley's condition. I’d choose to ignore it because I’m tired of hearing the overloaded ignorance from my parents and even if I’d beg them to bring him (Marley) to the vet, they choose to spend on other things.

I hated how they insist on getting two cats in order to have kittens. I’ve told them a million reasons to better get both cats sterilized (the cats are a boy and a girl) rather than not having unwanted kittens and barely taking care of them. But, after those two beautiful babies were born and grew to the age of three months, they became disastrous to everyone. But when they’re kittens, they tend to be active and need a lot of playing and exercise. They’re kittens, not some fastly matured kitties that are expected by anyone to easily be quiet/calm. And I can’t even have a present for them all the time, I have school.

I can really remember what dad had recalled if one day, Marley just passed.

“Just bury him already.”

Wow, I was just stunned. Everyone just seems ‘okay’ with two of the kittens passing. I'm questioning the importance of having kittens when they can’t take care of them (don’t get me wrong, having kittens is a blessing). I’m tired of really just trying my best to give both the kittens great care and food. All of the care was centered on their cat parents, and I wish I have the money to just spent all of the healthcare on my pets. Kittens are always a blessing, but I hope my parents know the risks if they eventually don’t want the kittens anymore. Other than that, my parents will sell both kittens which is an insanely wrong act. I can’t stand my opinion and thoughts or I’d get furious responses.

Just a side note, a week ago, Marley was suddenly weak and his head is trembling as his body coordination wouldn't be balanced. He could only sit, purring, and wrapped his body on the floor. When days passed, he can't really jump or walk anymore, he only sits somewhere for the rest of the day. I tried to feed him dry food, wet food, and any sort of snacks, but he would always ignore them. Tried to hold him still and feed but he just wouldn't eat.

I'm really sorry if some of these words here are offending anyone, or are seemingly wrong. I'm hoping for the best for Maisey to recover. She's having the same symptoms as Marley.

Thanks for reading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmeowzingWhiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone's wondering, the picture above is Marley. He was a very excited cutie when he met anyone. He's always happy with a present of people. I can't upload Marley's picture on the thread above, so maybe a reply could help link a picture of him.

marley.jpeg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Im so sorry for your loss. It's deviating to have family members who don't understand the importance of pet care, especially as a teen living at home and unable to take any control. I've been there (not with cats but when my family got rats after they loved mine).

I did get someone from a rat rescue to reach out to my family members. They did manage to speak to them in a way that was helpful and as it came from another adult, they heard it better. It's something you could consider. Especially if they post about selling kittens, they wouldn't have to know it came through you.

I understand why you disconnected. It's outside of your control. You're doing your best. I'm so sorry ❣

lesleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so, so sorry you and your kitties have to go through this trauma. A lot of people don't understand or just dismiss and minimize the grief we feel after losing our beloved cats. Your feelings are authentic, and should be respected.

You're done your very best to advocate and care for Marley and Maisey in a situation where you have very little control. That shows what a courageous and caring person you are. It's good to know you were/are in their lives.

I love Alldara's idea!

Lesleigh

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe when you have more freedom in your life and are older, you can be a veterinarian! That way you can help others like yourself and be surrounded by all the kitties you want.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Marley, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Marley knows you tried. Marley knows how much you wanted to help him. Marley, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, blesses you for your caring heart, and he sends his love, translated and purified into Love, back to walk with you down through all your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

One day, when you are on your own, you will be able to do for your future pets what you wished you could have done for Marley. And that counts. More than you will know, that counts.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Maisey is showing the same symptoms I would recommend taking her to a vet and setting up payments. are you driving, or younger than that? I would get another relative or a friend to take you. If kittens have died your parents are being completely unresponsible selling other kittens. Have all your cats received vaccinations? If not it could be a disease that they are suffering from. There may very well be a genetic fault or a disease that they are letting continue. Please take Maisey in, any way you can.......
Loing Marley is tragic. Although things were out of your control, guilt always accompanies grief, and he was a member of your family, so your grief is real and overwhelming. Some people in this world do not see pets as members of the family, do not love them as most of us do. That is their loss.
You have a connection with Marley, love is spiritual, so eternal. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, he continues to live on through you.
My heart goes out to you, you have no one to support you, and share your grief. That is what we are for here at this site, we understand the grief that comes with losing someone you cared for and loved. Please come here and post whenever you like. There is a quote I like to share at times like these, "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened". Marley is at peace because he carries your love in his heart. Take care.......RIP sweet Marley. You will always be remembered, you will have a secure place in a loving heart for eternity. may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

AmeowzingWhiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the precious messages! I’m truly unfortunate that I won’t be able to respond to all replies, but I hope my gratitude to those who replied will be seen as a very tremendous thank you. It’s the absolute most destructive thing to know my parents can’t properly take care of all cats we have at home. I’ve tried considerable times to tell them about everything needed to make sure all cats are healthy and have enough food/medications, but they don’t wanna appear to lose in arguments and always tried to prove I'm wrong. It’s genuinely challenging to persuade them to spend money on pet healthcare. Neither Marley nor Maisey had vaccines, and it wouldn’t be essential in their eyes as it’s viewed as ‘wasting money’. Pet healthcare has continuously been a bit more pricey here, and acknowledging the need to assure all pets are away from conveyed diseases seems impossible. It doesn’t mean we don't money, it’s just that acquiring vaccines and medications was assumed to be a waste for them.

I also think Alldara’s idea seems a great thing! My mother’s friend is a big cat lady, but I feel like whenever she explains all that cats needed in the first place, it wasn’t taken seriously. In the end, the cycle of ignorance toward my cats just keeps happening. It’s also regarded as ‘ridiculous’ when I grieve over Marley. It felt terrible, so this is the only safe place I can thankfully share.

I just knew from the beginning that my parents aren’t great cat owners. I hope one day they’d realized that they’ve been given the trauma and neglected an animal until the day when they’re gone. It’s almost like they ‘killed’ a pet in the way of neglect form. I hated how they barely care about any of each one.

:(

AmeowzingWhiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If Maisey is showing the same symptoms I would recommend taking her to a vet and setting up payments. are you driving, or younger than that? I would get another relative or a friend to take you. If kittens have died your parents are being completely unresponsible selling other kittens. Have all your cats received vaccinations? If not it could be a disease that they are suffering from. There may very well be a genetic fault or a disease that they are letting continue. Please take Maisey in, any way you can.......
Loing Marley is tragic. Although things were out of your control, guilt always accompanies grief, and he was a member of your family, so your grief is real and overwhelming. Some people in this world do not see pets as members of the family, do not love them as most of us do. That is their loss.
You have a connection with Marley, love is spiritual, so eternal. He will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers, he continues to live on through you.
My heart goes out to you, you have no one to support you, and share your grief. That is what we are for here at this site, we understand the grief that comes with losing someone you cared for and loved. Please come here and post whenever you like. There is a quote I like to share at times like these, "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened". Marley is at peace because he carries your love in his heart. Take care.......RIP sweet Marley. You will always be remembered, you will have a secure place in a loving heart for eternity. may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you for the suggestions! I’m not allowed to drive yet, as I stated, I’m still a teen and it won’t be easy to have much access to money for any healthcare. Reading all of it, made me look back at how Marley’s life was too short. He could’ve been living longer than this, with an unknown disease. I’ve read a poem you wrote for someone’s grief and it’s truly one of the best things I saw here. I just know Marley’s looking above me, waiting for my presence to him. I wish he’d live longer and is around me on his final days. It’s a big regret when he’s gone, I hate how I’m immature and don’t know how to act. It’s a big lesson for me to learn, to be more considerate and act faster when things slowly get worse. Now, it’s to make sure Maisey’s okay by giving any accessible help and hoping for the best for her. I hope she’s okay. As of right now, she started to eat and get more active, I’m seeing some great improvements.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss of Marley. If you feel the cats are being neglected by your parents, you can call rescue groups or animal shelter in your area and ask them if they can help with vet care. Sometimes they can come to your house and check on the cats to make sure they are getting proper care.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If there's any rescue organizations around you, please call them and ask for help. They may be able to help figure out something for you.