Rescued a little baby yesterday

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, they are so cute together -- one little ball of black fluff!

I'm so glad the new kitten is getting on so well with Yoda. I'm sure he's happy to have a new brother.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went in to check on the boys before going to bed and when I first went in there, I saw the kitten playing with some Q-tips I had left in there from when I was cleaning out Yoda's ears earlier. But he ran as soon as he saw me. I picked him and then sat down on the floor and just pet him for a minute. I then picked up a Q-tip and started wiggling it in front of him and he grabbed for it....then actually started playing with it! Then he stopped for a minute and I just pet him on his back and he started PURRING! I continued playing with him with the Q-tip for a few minutes and then he casually walked over to his food dish (he didn't run) and acted like he was hungry again. I put some more food in there but of course, Yoda jumped in and was eating really fast. So I put some more food on a different dish and put it in front of the kitten. He began eating it.....very relaxed....and he looked at me and started purring again. My heart just melted!

I'm getting through to him.....I just know it! I could see that his face is much more relaxed when he looks at me and he doesn't squint and turn his head when I look at him now. He actually *looked* at me and didn't turn away....he wasn't afraid.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Guess he's pretty quick on the pickup. And it can't hurt that Yoda is completely trusting with you. I wonder what Yoda's been telling him.

That's lovely news, Robin!

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Guess he's pretty quick on the pickup. And it can't hurt that Yoda is completely trusting with you. I wonder what Yoda's been telling him.
I thought about that and I decided he must be saying something like, "Kid....you got it good here. All you have to do is to be loveable, purr a little, act funny sometimes....and these humans will give you all the food you could ever hope for, a nice soft place to sleep, plenty of toys, and lots of hugs and kisses. It's a sweet deal if ya play your cards right."

And the kitten is saying, "Ok, I'll do my best. I'm still a little scared, but you haven't steered me wrong so far....so I'm gonna trust you.....my new big brother."

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyKook

I thought about that and I decided he must be saying something like, "Kid....you got it good here. All you have to do is to be loveable, purr a little, act funny sometimes....and these humans will give you all the food you could ever hope for, a nice soft place to sleep, plenty of toys, and lots of hugs and kisses. It's a sweet deal if ya play your cards right."

And the kitten is saying, "Ok, I'll do my best. I'm still a little scared, but you haven't steered me wrong so far....so I'm gonna trust you.....my new big brother."

That must be exactly what they said to each other...
Do you have a nanny cam in a teddy bear somewhere, Robin?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are just coming right along here! This morning I went in to feed the boys and the kitten didn't run away. He ate good and still didn't run away. Then later I went in just to check on them and when I picked up the kitten to pet him.....he started purring right away!
He actually looked at me with "love" in his eyes. I then started playing with Yoda with the mouse and Yoda was jumping all around tryng to catch the mouse and acting crazy. The little kitten just sat there and watched. He even meowed once as if he was cheering Yoda on.
His face no longer looks "stressed"....he actually looks happy, like kittens are supposed to look and he's just the cutest thing! It's just amazing at the difference in his expression. After a few minutes of watching Yoda jump around trying to catch the mouse, he actually joined in and also began playing and trying to catch the mouse. I'll try to get some more pictures today.

We are definitely making BIG progress here! I can tell that he's going to be a sweetheart.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like that's all he needed Robin, time and love.........that usually cures most of us........

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are a few new pics I just took of the boys. Just look at the difference in his expression! He looks so much happier.
If you look back at the first pictures I posted of the kitten, you'll see that he looked so fearful. Now he's much more relaxed.

Don't they look just alike? Their eyes are a little different color right now, but they really do look alike. Here they were playing and I called to them and got their attention. They are sitting in front of an old chest of drawers that is in my spare bedroom. I took all the drawers out the other day because I had to keep lifting it to get the little kitten out from under it. Now the boys like to get in there and play.

And the little kitten has a very LOUD motor when he gets it going.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it always amazes that cats can settle after such trauma, and well with lots of
love and TLC he´s come on leaps and bounds, you´ve done a brill job
he is a real cutie

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are soooooo sweet. And they are going to be tough to tell apart once the little one starts catching up to Yoda! Maybe some nice collars??

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

They are soooooo sweet. And they are going to be tough to tell apart once the little one starts catching up to Yoda! Maybe some nice collars??
Yeah I told my daughter Jamie that she's going to have a hard time telling them apart when they are both grown. Maybe they will end up with different color eyes. It's hard to tell at this point, but Yoda seems to have more copper colored eyes and the little kitten looks like his might turn out green or yellow. One difference right now is that the kitten's coat isn't very shiny. But that could be because of poor nutrition or just the fact that it's still his "kitten" fuzz. Yoda's coat used to be that way when Jamie first got him too....but now it's nice and shiny. The kitten feels a little thin right now too.....but the way he's eating....I'm sure he'll fatten up just fine.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Robin- That's AWESOME that u've rescued this kitten from the middle of the road, have found his soulmate
AND found a great home for him within a couple days!!!

I know Yoda and the kitten looks alike and may be hard to tell apart.. I had the same concern when I adopted Buddy and Spike- both black and they looked EXACTLY the same- same age, size, color, gender, etc!!

However, as time passed and they grew, their bodies/faces/fur changed a bit and I got to know their ways of walking, moving, etc and now can tell them apart easily even without collars (lol). Spike has a patch of white on his tummy and chest (didn't have as a kitten) , he has a mole in one of his ears that he didn't have as a kitten and he tends to walk around with his tail curled up. Buddy is thinner and his face is more narrow compared to Spike.. I'm sure Jaime will be able to tell Yoda and the kitten apart eventually as she spends time with them..

I wish I could post kitten/adult pics of my cats so u can see what I mean about there being differences in their bodies but I don't want to hijack your thread about this lovely kitten!

Do keep us posted about Yoda and the kitten and more pics pls! Ur pics are always GREAT!!! You're a great example to others about caring for strays/ferals and rescuing cats

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS, I'm in love with that last picture of the two of them together.......I'd definitely print it and put it on your fridge as your grandkitties!

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

"The life you save may be an angel."
ohmy how beautiful and true is that

I have just seen this thread... WOW!!! look at the progress he has made
what a wonderful story this is. Bless you for taking this sweet little on in

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I took both the boys over to Jamie's house today. She's off work for a few days, so it was a good time to begin the transition. At first the kitten ran under the chair to hide. But I got him out and held him for a few minutes, petting him, kissing him, and telling him that everything will be ok. I put him next to Yoda and he began licking the kitten all over as if to reassure him that this is really ok. The kitten seemed to relax a little then.

I'm going to miss him.
I've only had him for a couple of days, but I've already gotten attached to him because of our scary first meeting and then watching him come out of his shell over the past two days. But Jamie is just like me when it comes to cats, so I know she'll do fine with him. I'm still off work for a couple more days too, so I will be going over there to check on him frequently.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to let go, isn't it Pal?? Look at it this way........you can visit anytime and you have to! We need pics of those two wonderful boys.

Ok now, go start snapping some of the neglected Leo, Abby, Shelby, Cooper and Thomas for us!

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Ok now, go start snapping some of the neglected Leo, Abby, Shelby, Cooper and Thomas for us!
Oh those poor poor babies are SO neglected!

You oughta see them now.....they are ALL spread out on MY bed snoozing and dreaming of the cushy life they lead.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a helpful link about taming feral kittens.
http://www.cat77.org.uk/articles/feral3.htm
Obviously, Chewie is past the cage stage! But the idea of keeping him in a smaller area of the house as he grows more confident is a good one. Also, hand feeding is a great idea. Or as you were doing, bringing the food to baby, so he associates you with good things like food and play. And let Jamie know that if she lays on the floor, she will be less scary. And lots of string toys for FUN!

Sounds like Yoda is doing most the work of taming Chewie. Thanks for saving this little one...it is hard to look in his adorable face and think that without you, he wouldn't be here!