Rescue Momma and Kittens... Advice Needed Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys! Photography is definitely a hobby of mine and I love getting pictures of these pretty kitties! I am hoping their viral stuff clears up soon as some of them are pending adoption when they are looking good and I have a couple of adult cats coming to me who were abandoned when their owner moved out of their apartment. sigh.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No clue on the Lysine treats since my cats loved them as is. Maybe cut each one into smaller pieces & offer them that way?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have broken them apart, mixed with canned food and they eat around it. When I straight offer them to them they lick it and then walk away lol. So I was looking on chewy.com and they have a Lysine gel that you can get and I guess rub it on their paw and they lick it off? It is worth it to try! Then I went ahead and bought a different kind of treat to see if they will take it! They look better to me and seem to be sneezing less so maybe the viral stuff is passing on its own... fingers crossed!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I have broken them apart, mixed with canned food and they eat around it. When I straight offer them to them they lick it and then walk away lol. So I was looking on chewy.com and they have a Lysine gel that you can get and I guess rub it on their paw and they lick it off? It is worth it to try! Then I went ahead and bought a different kind of treat to see if they will take it! They look better to me and seem to be sneezing less so maybe the viral stuff is passing on its own... fingers crossed!
I use the Viralays Gel. As soon as it hits the cats mouth it dissolves and they cannot spit it out like a paste. It can also be drawn up into a small feeding syringe. If you put it on your finger you have seconds to get it into the cats mouth. My cats will not eat lysine treats. I think Dr. Smiths and Foster makes a powder. If you're going to be fostering a lot of cats you might negotiate a can of it for your self. I prefer the gel because I know it's in their mouth. End of story.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise

I use the Viralays Gel. As soon as it hits the cats mouth it dissolves and they cannot spit it out like a paste. It can also be drawn up into a small feeding syringe. If you put it on your finger you have seconds to get it into the cats mouth. My cats will not eat lysine treats. I think Dr. Smiths and Foster makes a powder. If you're going to be fostering a lot of cats you might negotiate a can of it for your self. I prefer the gel because I know it's in their mouth. End of story.
The Viralays  Gel is what I ordered on chewy! As well as a tub of the powder and a different kind of treats. I sort of went a little Lysine crazy but I figure since I foster so much I am bound to need more eventually!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Also the last of the Halloween kittens were adopted today! And tomorrow is Wini and Andy's spay appointments so after Wini is recovered (I am thinking Monday? or should I wait a little longer?) She will be going to her furever home!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

The Viralays  Gel is what I ordered on chewy! As well as a tub of the powder and a different kind of treats. I sort of went a little Lysine crazy but I figure since I foster so much I am bound to need more eventually!
I keep lysine on hand all the time as well as the antibiotic eye ointment. I keep a can of KMR, and adult liquid food along with some baby food and a feeding syringe. I don't know enough about cats to vet them on my own but having a survival kit is a must.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
My vets are really good at giving me a little extra of everything to have on hand for emergency foster situations until I can get them into the vet: antibiotic eye ointment, a basic oral antibiotic, and I have a cream that they always have me use for open wounds that is fantastic. Just recently stocked up on KMR after Andy and her kittens came to me I realized that I should keep a little more of that on hand!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, do you ever have your hands full!! I just popped over from the lysine thread, & caught up on this one. :lol3: SO many cuties!!! Of course, after my Angel, :rbheart: I am partial to the little ginger & white boys. But yes, those fluffy little tabbies are so adorable!!! I agree about the cream/ ginger & white tabby boys. They will be bigger. Long. Angel was long, so 13-14 lbs was an OK weight for him. The most he got up to was 15 lbs (after taking amatriptyline for a little while, when he had cystitis, to relax the bladder).
All beautiful babies! Should have no trouble finding homes for them all. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
16 hr days & all of this too! You must be a nurse?? Bless you for taking all of them on.
I hope you are able to get some rest as well. [emoji]128522[/emoji] :hugs:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
All of the babies are doing great! Both of the Mommas were spayed and are recovering! No more kittens for these gals! Andy had two that we know of (she was a stray and her caretaker said she had at least one other). And poor Wini I am told had about 10 litters! I have several of Andy's babies pending adoption when they are old enough! I hate to see them go, but that just means I can help more cats/kittens!

I am not a nurse, I work with registration at a hospital though, I am cross trained to work in many areas but my primary areas are Admissions and the Emergency Room. I work over 65 hour work weeks Just because most of my money goes into helping these babies. Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue is my baby, I am hoping one day for it to grow and we can become a registered nonprofit, but for now our goal is just to help as many animals as I can!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that the cats and kittens are all doing well. You do a superb job. I hope someday that you can turn your rescue into a nonprofit too! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Photo Dump Time! Do any of you guys LOVE kitten yawns with their tiny teefers and tongues? Well have I got a treat for you with today's pictures! 8 Weeks old! I can't believe it!

My favorite yawning picture lol

A sweet moment with Momma and our runt. 

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, so ANOTHER emergent litter of kittens has been brought to my attention. Story of my life right? I am told that this is a litter of 4, three week old kittens that were abandoned by mom. At this time this is all the information that I know, I have not gotten any pictures or anything, I am not sure what the situation with the mom is.. But they are located a few hours away from me and another rescue is trying to coordinate transport to me. Andy's kittens will be 9 weeks this weekend, I am thinking about letting the ones who are pending adoption go to their homes this Sunday instead of next just to lessen the load if I do end up taking these babies. I am not sure yet, like I said I am not sure what the situation with the mom is or if transport is going to be arranged.