Remembering Aniki

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In February of 2005 I had a nervous breakdown and fell into a deep depression. I quit my job, started therapy, and went on anti-depressants. I had been waiting tables in a very posh restaurant for many years and had amassed enough money to be able to take as long as I needed to get better. Things improved somewhat in a couple months, and in order to keep busy, I offered to volunteer for a local cat rescue group. It was very rewarding. I put in a lot of hours. Early in May I was given a litter of kittens to bottle feed.

There was a little orange one, a smokey black one, a beautiful tabby, a calico-tabby mix, and a gray tabby. I had just lost my cat Slater a year back, so I knew I would end up adopting one of them. I really liked the beautiful tabby, but I was also aware that these kittens were fosters, and the point was to adopt them out. It was unlikely that I would end up with the “best” one, so I waited to see what would happen.

A month or so later, I lost two of them to panleukopenia, leaving only the smokey black guy, the beautiful tabby and the grey tabby. I took a liking to the grey tabby. He was very cute, especially silly, and the easiest to feed. One day I layed down for a nap and I decided to bring one of the kittens in with me. I knew it would be safe since I was only planning to snooze lightly. I chose the grey tabby. He seemed the most agreeable. After stumbling around for a couple of minutes he settled down next to me and used my thumb as a pillow. I named him Aniki, which means “big brother” in Japanese.

A week or so later, Aniki got sick. Panleukopenia. I rushed him to the vet. The doctor said that as soon as I left him there he took a turn for the worse, but that they would do everything they could.

I awoke the next morning with a heavy heart. Before I could get out of bed and call the vet to check on Aniki, the phone rang. It was a woman from the rescue group. She had just dropped a few cats off there and had seen Aniki. He was doing well! Very well! She said he was bouncing off the walls of his cage!

I picked him up that night. A few days later I noticed he was having some difficulty walking. Turns out the high fever he suffered at such a young age damaged his brain, and he would have motor coordination issues in his back legs for life. So much for adopting him out. I decided right then and there he would be the one I adopted.

I made the right choice. Aniki turned out to be a loving, goofy, happy cat. He was also incredibly cute. Huge eyes. He looked like an illustration in a child’s book about cats.

My resident cat, Zak, hated him, but Zak hated all other cats. After I lost Zak, I adopted a timid little female maned Cozy, and a year later, an incredible tuxedo named Rico. Aniki and Rico became fast friends. In the beginning, they were inseparable. I used to see Rico following Aniki around the house as if Aniki was giving him a tour. That played and slept together. Cozy fell in love with him but because of her incredibly nervous nature, she would sometimes strike out at him. This gave him some pause, but he tolerated her affections anyway.

Aniki grew up to be a permanent kitten. The neurological damage left him very clingy and I suspect a little bit developmentally disabled: he never lost his kittenish habits. When he was happy, he didn’t hold his tail straight up, but plastered it against his back like a kitten. He was never aggressive with any other cat and didn’t seem to be the least bit territorial. He was a delight.

He loved his little mouse toys and went crazy for aluminum foil balls. Anything that rolled. He loved the sunshine and although he couldn’t jump onto windowsills, he could scramble up the six foot cat tree in less than ten seconds using mainly his front legs and as he got older, vets would always remark about how muscular he was.

He was an expert snuggler and would spoon with me every night. His favorite spot was my lap. He was truly my little baby boy.

I lost Cozy to cancer a couple years back, and Rico in 2020. After that, it was just Aniki and me. I did not want to get another cat…I wanted Aniki to have all of me to himself. In January of last year, he was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. He did well for a whole year. He even liked his k/d food. But eventually it got the best of him.

Aniki died at the vet’s yesterday at 3:34. He went peacefully and amazingly, I have very few regrets.

As I’ve told him many times, I have never loved any animal more than him. I can still feel his presence inside me and I know I always will. If you’ve read this far, thank you! His memory is very important to me!

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In February of 2005 I had a nervous breakdown and fell into a deep depression. I quit my job, started therapy, and went on anti-depressants. I had been waiting tables in a very posh restaurant for many years and had amassed enough money to be able to take as long as I needed to get better. Things improved somewhat in a couple months, and in order to keep busy, I offered to volunteer for a local cat rescue group. It was very rewarding. I put in a lot of hours. Early in May I was given a litter of kittens to bottle feed.

There was a little orange one, a smokey black one, a beautiful tabby, a calico-tabby mix, and a gray tabby. I had just lost my cat Slater a year back, so I knew I would end up adopting one of them. I really liked the beautiful tabby, but I was also aware that these kittens were fosters, and the point was to adopt them out. It was unlikely that I would end up with the “best” one, so I waited to see what would happen.

A month or so later, I lost two of them to panleukopenia, leaving only the smokey black guy, the beautiful tabby and the grey tabby. I took a liking to the grey tabby. He was very cute, especially silly, and the easiest to feed. One day I layed down for a nap and I decided to bring one of the kittens in with me. I knew it would be safe since I was only planning to snooze lightly. I chose the grey tabby. He seemed the most agreeable. After stumbling around for a couple of minutes he settled down next to me and used my thumb as a pillow. I named him Aniki, which means “big brother” in Japanese.

A week or so later, Aniki got sick. Panleukopenia. I rushed him to the vet. The doctor said that as soon as I left him there he took a turn for the worse, but that they would do everything they could.

I awoke the next morning with a heavy heart. Before I could get out of bed and call the vet to check on Aniki, the phone rang. It was a woman from the rescue group. She had just dropped a few cats off there and had seen Aniki. He was doing well! Very well! She said he was bouncing off the walls of his cage!

I picked him up that night. A few days later I noticed he was having some difficulty walking. Turns out the high fever he suffered at such a young age damaged his brain, and he would have motor coordination issues in his back legs for life. So much for adopting him out. I decided right then and there he would be the one I adopted.

I made the right choice. Aniki turned out to be a loving, goofy, happy cat. He was also incredibly cute. Huge eyes. He looked like an illustration in a child’s book about cats.

My resident cat, Zak, hated him, but Zak hated all other cats. After I lost Zak, I adopted a timid little female maned Cozy, and a year later, an incredible tuxedo named Rico. Aniki and Rico became fast friends. In the beginning, they were inseparable. I used to see Rico following Aniki around the house as if Aniki was giving him a tour. That played and slept together. Cozy fell in love with him but because of her incredibly nervous nature, she would sometimes strike out at him. This gave him some pause, but he tolerated her affections anyway.

Aniki grew up to be a permanent kitten. The neurological damage left him very clingy and I suspect a little bit developmentally disabled: he never lost his kittenish habits. When he was happy, he didn’t hold his tail straight up, but plastered it against his back like a kitten. He was never aggressive with any other cat and didn’t seem to be the least bit territorial. He was a delight.

He loved his little mouse toys and went crazy for aluminum foil balls. Anything that rolled. He loved the sunshine and although he couldn’t jump onto windowsills, he could scramble up the six foot cat tree in less than ten seconds using mainly his front legs and as he got older, vets would always remark about how muscular he was.

He was an expert snuggler and would spoon with me every night. His favorite spot was my lap. He was truly my little baby boy.

I lost Cozy to cancer a couple years back, and Rico in 2020. After that, it was just Aniki and me. I did not want to get another cat…I wanted Aniki to have all of me to himself. In January of last year, he was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. He did well for a whole year. He even liked his k/d food. But eventually it got the best of him.

Aniki died at the vet’s yesterday at 3:34. He went peacefully and amazingly, I have very few regrets.

As I’ve told him many times, I have never loved any animal more than him. I can still feel his presence inside me and I know I always will. If you’ve read this far, thank you! His memory is very important to me!
*Fly free, whole, healthy, and forever Loved, precious angel Aniki! Watch over your loved one here below until reunited in due time. Rest now, beloved, in Perfect Love.*
My heartfelt condolences for your losses. Aniki was very handsome and such a sweet mancatto! You have many cherished memories of him, and your other beloveds. May they bring comfort and joy in time.
IMG_2657.JPG

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Aniki, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Aniki lived, breathed and had his being wrapped in your love. And he left for his Next Great Adventure that way. This is the deepest Truth I know, that love never dies, it only changes form, is translated and purified into Love, and continues on. His Love is with you still, because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. This is the hardest loss I've ever had to face. Everytime I close my eyes I see his face.

Mornings are the worst. So is bedtime. I used to routinely place a bunch of TV remotes or books on the bed so he wouldn't settle down in my spot. That way I could just get into bed without disturbing him. I found myself starting to do that last night.

I suppose his loss is compounded by the fact that he was the last of my wonderful cat family, and now I have no cats for the first time in over thirty years. It's so quiet in here.

For sixteen years I used to hear a lot of little noises coming from other rooms, little clicks and scratches, and I always assumed it was one of the cats doing something; like when they wake up and stretch and one of their claws gets stuck on the carper so they pop it out. I still hear those noises. Maybe it was just the building settling.

So this is day 2 without him. Tomorrow I am off and I'm a little apprehensive about having to spend a whole day in here without him.

I will post more pictures of him later on but I have to get ready for work now,

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And now his memory will live on forever through your memories! it sounds like he had an incredible life, and I'm sure he was so very thankful that he found you. You both shared something that few get to, a true bonding of the soul through love. He taught you how to do this, he was in your life for that reason. To have never met him at all would have been a tragic loss. He did his job well and is at peace. You will now go forward into life and carry his love and his dreams with you, he lives on through you because he will always occupy a secure place in your heart. A permanent bonding of your souls. NOTHING can break this bond of love, not even death, because this kind of love never dies,
He will forever be as close as your memories and your thoughts, love is spiritual, so eternal. Go into the future and live it as you would have wanted for him if you were the first to go. He would want nothing less.
My heart breaks for your pain, I know how how much this hurts. You two shared so very much. You literally saved his life and in return, he gave you so much......In times such as these, I always concentrate on a wise quote..."Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened".....Take care, we are here to share your burden of sorrow, and to empathize because we know what you are going through. we have survived and want you to know that it does get better, one day you will learn a new life order and love and live again.
RIP precious Aniki. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. This is the hardest loss I've ever had to face. Everytime I close my eyes I see his face.

Mornings are the worst. So is bedtime. I used to routinely place a bunch of TV remotes or books on the bed so he wouldn't settle down in my spot. That way I could just get into bed without disturbing him. I found myself starting to do that last night.

I suppose his loss is compounded by the fact that he was the last of my wonderful cat family, and now I have no cats for the first time in over thirty years. It's so quiet in here.

For sixteen years I used to hear a lot of little noises coming from other rooms, little clicks and scratches, and I always assumed it was one of the cats doing something; like when they wake up and stretch and one of their claws gets stuck on the carper so they pop it out. I still hear those noises. Maybe it was just the building settling.

So this is day 2 without him. Tomorrow I am off and I'm a little apprehensive about having to spend a whole day in here without him.

I will post more pictures of him later on but I have to get ready for work now,
We look forward to those pictures and your telling of your life together. There will be so many memories and some will come suddenly, out of the blue, when you are doing something and not thinking of anything much. This happens a lot in our lives.
I was born into a family and home "with cat" and have spent almost every day of my life with cats, so many have gone on ahead and are now watching over us. In the past, I would make photo albums to document our lives, and I would also do two things if possible: choose and plant a special tree or plant for each loved one, and open my heart and home to another deserving, loving cat. These are the most meaningful tributes to loved ones, for me and others, and they continue the love that is eternal. There is never "replacing" but rather, continuing of that love. As all of my cats have always been rescues, I know that they want this to continue, in their names and memory.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And now his memory will live on forever through your memories! it sounds like he had an incredible life, and I'm sure he was so very thankful that he found you. You both shared something that few get to, a true bonding of the soul through love. He taught you how to do this, he was in your life for that reason. To have never met him at all would have been a tragic loss. He did his job well and is at peace. You will now go forward into life and carry his love and his dreams with you, he lives on through you because he will always occupy a secure place in your heart. A permanent bonding of your souls. NOTHING can break this bond of love, not even death, because this kind of love never dies,
He will forever be as close as your memories and your thoughts, love is spiritual, so eternal. Go into the future and live it as you would have wanted for him if you were the first to go. He would want nothing less.
My heart breaks for your pain, I know how how much this hurts. You two shared so very much. You literally saved his life and in return, he gave you so much......In times such as these, I always concentrate on a wise quote..."Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened".....Take care, we are here to share your burden of sorrow, and to empathize because we know what you are going through. we have survived and want you to know that it does get better, one day you will learn a new life order and love and live again.
RIP precious Aniki. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. may the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you. He was precious. They all are, but he was the first bottle feeder that I adopted. I knew there would be a paternal bond, but I never expected it to be so fierce. Two different people, on two separate occasions, said to me as I held him "I can almost see the little hearts coming out of him!"
He was always on my lap. When I was on the computer, he would put his paws on the chair and push the sliding keyboard shelf back with his head as If to say "Look at me! help me up there!". He'd crawl on my lap when I was watching TV so often that sometimes I'd forget he was there..I'd get up and he'd tumble off.
Of all the other cats I had with him, and all of the fosters, I never once saw him get aggressive toward any of them, He was truly a gentle soul, something this world could use more of.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. He was precious. They all are, but he was the first bottle feeder that I adopted. I knew there would be a paternal bond, but I never expected it to be so fierce. Two different people, on two separate occasions, said to me as I held him "I can almost see the little hearts coming out of him!"
He was always on my lap. When I was on the computer, he would put his paws on the chair and push the sliding keyboard shelf back with his head as If to say "Look at me! help me up there!". He'd crawl on my lap when I was watching TV so often that sometimes I'd forget he was there..I'd get up and he'd tumble off.
Of all the other cats I had with him, and all of the fosters, I never once saw him get aggressive toward any of them, He was truly a gentle soul, something this world could use more of.
What wonderful memories/pictures! That is truly a lifelong, and an eternal, bond.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We look forward to those pictures and your telling of your life together. There will be so many memories and some will come suddenly, out of the blue, when you are doing something and not thinking of anything much. This happens a lot in our lives.
I was born into a family and home "with cat" and have spent almost every day of my life with cats, so many have gone on ahead and are now watching over us. In the past, I would make photo albums to document our lives, and I would also do two things if possible: choose and plant a special tree or plant for each loved one, and open my heart and home to another deserving, loving cat. These are the most meaningful tributes to loved ones, for me and others, and they continue the love that is eternal. There is never "replacing" but rather, continuing of that love. As all of my cats have always been rescues, I know that they want this to continue, in their names and memory.
I live in a city and am terrible with houseplants, otherwise I would plant something in his honor. When he was a baby and his two siblings died, I was living in the suburbs. I buried them in the backyard and later that summer there were two identical plants growing right over the spot where they were buried. Unfortunately I moved soon after, so I never saw what became of them.

I will post more pictures but I'm having trouble with my internet now. I'll try later.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a city and am terrible with houseplants, otherwise I would plant something in his honor. When he was a baby and his two siblings died, I was living in the suburbs. I buried them in the backyard and later that summer there were two identical plants growing right over the spot where they were buried. Unfortunately I moved soon after, so I never saw what became of them.

I will post more pictures but I'm having trouble with my internet now. I'll try later.
Many of our loved ones are at rest in many places. I have loathed to move each time, though I know the soul is eternal and that it is only the unnecessary part that is here on earth when our loved ones ascend. Two locations ago, many resting places over time, with many beautiful plants. When that place was sold, the new owners razed the house and all of the plants. I was heartbroken. But we endure and we go on.
For my dear friend who took her own life, I was able to have three trees planted in her memory by making a donation for this purpose. Another good thing to do is to make a contribution/donation in the memory and honor of loved ones. It is a wonderful tribute that also carries on the love for the living.

Hoping your IT issues will resolve soon and wishing you all the best, with beautiful memories.
IMG_1277.JPG

This is the Asian Pear we planted as memorial for our beloved Moti angel, in the Mojave where she ascended.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you tarasgirl06!

Anyway, today is a bad day. Yesterday was better, probably because I was distracted at work. Mornings are the worst. So is coming home. I just came in and saw a pair of shoes and for a split second I thought they were him. Why? He never ever hung out in that spot.

I knew he was a part of me, but this is ridiculous. I feel so empty and lost and I have a toothache on top of that!

Oh well, just venting. Thank y'all for listening.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, what a beautiful tribute to a beautiful boy. Some cat's are just so special. RIP sweet Aniki :rbheart:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ALL cats are special IMHO;):yess:
Do you put clove oil or OraJel on the tooth? I have heard both of those can be helpful.
It's not "ridiculous" at all. Many, many of us who have lost loved ones will catch them out the corner of our eyes. I know for a fact that the soul is eternal, and I have had this kind of experience feline loved ones and also human loved ones. I'm not a believer in the paranormal, UFOs, or any of these things, but I know what I have experienced and I also know that there is far less of a distance between us and them than some think. The Veil is only that! So I hope you will not doubt your ability to receive visits, whether waking or in dreams. Our beloved ones watch over us and we WILL reunite in due time.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you both.

I've got a few other problems going on now, and the grief just makes it worse. I think about the other problems and I want to go inside and give him a kiss or just put my face in his fur because that always makes it a little better...then a split second later, I remember he's gone and for a moment the pain is so intense.

I need another cat. I know it's too soon right now, but even in the future I think I'll have to wait (Afraid to Get Another Cat). My friends always tell me I'm a strong person but I never thought of myself that way. Still, I know I will get through this. I know you can't cheat or speed up the grieving process, but it's really impeding my ability to deal with these other problems.

It's gonna be a lousy spring. Other than the rollercoaster of Aniki's illness, this past year hasn't been too bad for me, so I guess I'm due for some bad times.

Thanks again to everyone here. Cat people are my people. Just knowing this site is here is comforting.

I'll post some pictures soon....it's still a little to early for me to look at them

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both.

I've got a few other problems going on now, and the grief just makes it worse. I think about the other problems and I want to go inside and give him a kiss or just put my face in his fur because that always makes it a little better...then a split second later, I remember he's gone and for a moment the pain is so intense.

I need another cat. I know it's too soon right now, but even in the future I think I'll have to wait (Afraid to Get Another Cat). My friends always tell me I'm a strong person but I never thought of myself that way. Still, I know I will get through this. I know you can't cheat or speed up the grieving process, but it's really impeding my ability to deal with these other problems.

It's gonna be a lousy spring. Other than the rollercoaster of Aniki's illness, this past year hasn't been too bad for me, so I guess I'm due for some bad times.

Thanks again to everyone here. Cat people are my people. Just knowing this site is here is comforting.

I'll post some pictures soon....it's still a little to early for me to look at them
There is no right or wrong way to grieve, and there is no right or wrong time to adopt. It's long been my policy to adopt ASAP, because when I have space in my home and in my heart, I know there are MANY deserving cats desperate for what I have to offer them -- a lifetime of love, comfort, good care, and safety. It has NOTHING to do with "replacing" -- people who lose a kid don't "replace" that kid with another. People who lose their husband, wife, or other partner don't "replace" them. You don't have a thing to excuse, apologize for, or rationalize. Some people need a long time. Some don't need any time at all. Most fall in between those parameters.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is no right or wrong way to grieve, and there is no right or wrong time to adopt. It's long been my policy to adopt ASAP, because when I have space in my home and in my heart, I know there are MANY deserving cats desperate for what I have to offer them -- a lifetime of love, comfort, good care, and safety. It has NOTHING to do with "replacing" -- people who lose a kid don't "replace" that kid with another. People who lose their husband, wife, or other partner don't "replace" them. You don't have a thing to excuse, apologize for, or rationalize. Some people need a long time. Some don't need any time at all. Most fall in between those parameters.
I'm kind of poor, so between vet visits and paying for prescription food this past year has really drained me. My original intent was to wait a few months and save some money.

As always, when fate decides it's time for me to adopt a new cat, one will come to me. Unfortunately, one already has but it's a complicated situation. I will post a thread about it soon, it's that complicated.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of poor, so between vet visits and paying for prescription food this past year has really drained me. My original intent was to wait a few months and save some money.

As always, when fate decides it's time for me to adopt a new cat, one will come to me. Unfortunately, one already has but it's a complicated situation. I will post a thread about it soon, it's that complicated.
Will wait for that. And I know all about frugality!!!