Regional Food Specialties

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Ok I checked it out a little and I guess Virginia is known for peanuts and Smithfield hams.
Lots of good vineyards in the Charlottesville area!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the Philippines has so many special foods depending on region but also depending on what meal of the day you're taking.

I guess I would offer first time visitors my favorite Filipino dishes - kare kare (oxtail and vegetables cooked in peanut sauce), sinigang (fish or shrimp in tamarind stew), chicken gizzard adobo (cooked in vinegar, soy sauce and garlic), kilawin (raw seafood marinated in vinegar or calamansi juice along with garlic, ginger, onion, tomato and peppers).
For more info check this out.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Supposedly the official state food is kuchen. I like kuchen, and it is sold at the local grocery store, but it's not so common as you would think, for an official state food. I don't think any local restaurants have it on the menu.
What's kuchen???????????????

Originally Posted by c1atsite

Supposedly bagels, cheesecake. Yawn.
I truly don't think we have a signature food.

Folks who promote tourism to New York would have you believe otherwise. They'll blurt out things like deli sandwiches, New York strip steak, etc., but I think it's a lot of horse hockey.
Ummm... I'm gonna have to disagree with you! In fact - crediting the bagel IS basically crediting the Jewish Deli! The bagel (IMO) actually has quite an interesting history, dating back to the 1600s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagel#History As to NY... "Bagels were brought to the United States by immigrant Jews, with a thriving business developing in New York City that was controlled for decades by Bagel Bakers Local 338, which had contracts with nearly all bagel bakeries in and around the city for its workers who prepared all the bagels by hand. The bagel came into more general use throughout North America in the last quarter of the 20th century, at least partly due to the efforts of bagel baker Harry Lender and Florence Sender, who pioneered automated production and distribution of frozen bagels in the 1960s." (from the Wikipedia link).

Having lived in all the major (and many minor
) cities of the U.S., NY really does specialize in Deli food and steaks! Yes - Jewish Deli foods!!!!!!!!
Too many to even name in the Bronx and Brooklyn... but in Manhattan - OK - so the Carnegie has really become a tourist trap - but Katz's (on Houston) hasn't changed much over the last ... 100+ years!

And steak? OK - yes, many have now opened other restaurants in other places - but they started in New York: Mark Joseph's, Smith & Wolensky, Peter Luger, Sparks, Harry Cipriani, The Capitol Grill, Maloney & Porcelli, Porterhouse NY, and Bobby Van's - built in an old bank vault (they also have probably the best Chateaubriand and Beef Wellington in the country)...

And with the largest Greek community outside of Greece, I'd have to say Astoria (in Queens) is known for its Greek Food.

Ok I checked it out a little and I guess Virginia is known for peanuts and Smithfield hams.
Thank you! I was going to say.....

As to NJ.... I'm gonna have to say Italian. Even in the dinkiest of places they come up with some amazing dishes and you can't drive a couple of miles without SOME kind of Italian restaurant being nearby....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

What food(s) would you recommend to a first time visitor to your town/area? Chicago is known for Deep Dish Pizza & Chicago style hot dogs:

all-beef hot dog on a poppyseed hot dog bun, with 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, 1 tablespoon sweet green pickle relish, 1 tablespoon chopped onion, 4 tomato wedges, 1 dill pickle spear, 2 sport peppers and 1 dash celery salt.

Ketchup on a Chicago hot dog is frowned upon.
And, of course, the FRANCHEEZIE! http://www.chicagofoodies.com/2005/0...eezie_cam.html

...a hot dog stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon, and deep fried!

Originally Posted by spudsmom

In our area it would be Tillamook Cheese and Tillamook Ice Cream! Anyone experienced either? Yummy!
Other than that we are famous in Yamhill Valley for wine. In fact, I deliver mail in the wine capital of Oregon...the original. The rest of Yamhill Co. is catching up quickly.
I did not know about the ice cream and MMmmmmmmmmmmmm that sounds yummy!

Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Southern California food... hmm.. anything you get anywhere else but with avocado or cilantro added.
I often have to order 'xyz with no avocado please.' Or 'make sure there's NO cilantro, I'm allergic.' (i don't think I'm really allergic to it but it does make me puke)

Otherwise, I suppose Mexican food? There are lots of really good Mexican restaurants around. Again, no cilantro please!! ....
The first time I had something that had cilantro in it, I didn't know it because I'd never had it - thought it was parsley, I guess - I just thought they hadn't completely gotten the soap off the dish!

But there is some AMAZING Mexican food.
(No cilantro please!
)

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DA YOOPERS of Northern Michigan: How about a PASTY, Eh?

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In some of these areas, pasties are a significant tourist attraction, including an annual Pasty Fest in Calumet, Michigan in early July. Pasties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan have a particularly unusual history, as a small influx of Finnish immigrants followed the Cornish miners in 1864. These Finns (and many other ethnic groups) adopted the pasty for use in the Copper Country copper mines. About 30 years later, a much larger flood of Finnish immigrants found their countrymen baking pasties, and assumed that it was a Finnish invention. As a result, the pasty has become strongly associated with Finnish culture in this area.

Pasty is a pastry filled with diced or sliced steak or ground beef, finely sliced onion, and potato. Other common ingredients include rutabaga and sometimes parsley. It is traditionally served with beef gravy or ketchup. I've had pasties made with chicken, but...meh....only so so.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't think they're really known for anything here in Virginia
If so, they haven't let me in on the secret in the last 5 years
Smithfield Ham... and peanuts. Best peanuts I ever had from Suffolk, Va.

OK - now I see you added that.
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

In my area it would be Portuguese food.
NO bacalau! (spelling??) That stuff is awful! Blech!

To LDG and New Yorkers - pizza, pizza, pizza... that and in New Haven CT!

For southeast Michigan - Detroit style coney dogs, packzi (pronounced poonch-key - Polish jelly filled gut bomb of a donut for Fat Tuesday) and MIDDLE EASTERN FOOD!!! We also do the Friday night perch fry around these parts. Lake perch is WOOOONNNNDERFUL!!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

DA YOOPERS of Northern Michigan: How about a PASTY, Eh?

Pasty is a pastry filled with diced or sliced steak or ground beef, finely sliced onion, and potato. Other common ingredients include rutabaga and sometimes parsley. It is traditionally served with beef gravy or ketchup. I've had pasties made with chicken, but...meh....only so so.
Pasty is popular in the UK too

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Beavertails?
BeaverTails are fried dough pastries individually hand stretched to resemble a beaver’s tail. They are usually topped with a mixture of fruit, chocolate and/or maple syrup and sugar.

They look like this

I like mine with chocolate hazelnut, but they are huge so I usually get beavertail bites, which are the size of doughnut holes

When Obama came to Canada, he stopped the car to buy one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_tail_(pastry)

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

The first time I had something that had cilantro in it, I didn't know it because I'd never had it - thought it was parsley, I guess - I just thought they hadn't completely gotten the soap off the dish!

But there is some AMAZING Mexican food.
(No cilantro please!
)
Haha yeah my first experience with the c-word was when my mom's next door neighbor had it planted in his garden, I didn't know what it was, and he cut it back one day and I just felt so sick every time I went outside! Finally realised what it was and that I couldn't tolerate it.

In California, at least Southern Cali, they seem to put it on everything- I once got a pesto pizza with tomato, and it had cilantro on it?!?!? So I just make sure there won't be cilantro on whatever I order, even if it seems strange to ask, because I don't trust anything anymore.

Yeah, I am way too passionate in my hatred for the stuff.

Now those Beavertails... they sound and look wonderful!!!!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whree I live on the coast, I think it would probably be seafood if it were in season. If in the winter, I think it would be collards and sweet potatoes and fried chicken with biscuits.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I'm in NW Ohio, but a general Ohio staple would be Buckeyes, YUM! Apparently our state drink is tomato juice.

Northwest

* Tony Packo's Cafe (Toledo, OH) - The establishment made famous by actor Jamie Farr's character in M*A*S*H, this restaurant is famous for its hearty food including Hungarian hot dogs, beef, chicken, and vegetarian chili, as well as Chicken Paprikas, a local favorite. In 2006 this restaurant opened a branch adjacent to the world famous Toledo Mud Hens beseball stadium and enjoys a lively atmosphere throughout the baseball season.

Northeast

* Maple Syrup go to Geauga County in Northeast Ohio, the Village of Burton is the heart of maple country, but maple syrup is produced and is available throughout most of the State.
* Salisbury Steak created by and named for Clevelander Dr. James H. Salisbury who desired to perfect the meat curing process (you can pay homage to him at Lakeview Cemetery near University Circle). Just ask the Menches brothers who must claim, "It's just a fancy hamburger covered in gravy."

Southwest

* Banana Split - Ernest Hazard of Wilmington is one of the supposed inventors of the banana and ice cream treat
* Goetta - is a peasant food of German origin that is popular in the greater Cincinnati area. It is primarily composed of ground meat and oats. Traditionally used as a breakfast meat.
* Cincinnati Chili - is a regional style of chili characteristically served over spaghetti or as a coney sauce. While served in many regular restaurants, it is most often associated with several fast-food chains in the Cincinnati area, including Skyline Chili, Gold Star, Empress, and Dixie.

We also have some kick ass wineries, especially up near the lake!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

NO bacalau! (spelling??) That stuff is awful! Blech!
I steer clear of that myself!

I should have mentioned that we also have the obligatory seafood, lobsters, clams, clamboils, clambakes, etc.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Well, the Philippines has so many special foods depending on region but also depending on what meal of the day you're taking.
Ooh, I had a friend when I was younger who was Philippina...her mother made the BEST food. My favorites being pansit (sp?), eggrolls (can't remember the proper name), and this lovely dessert with fruit and coconut cream....mmmm.

Originally Posted by LDG

What's kuchen???????????????
There are debates as to what makes a proper kuchen. It's either a custard or a pastry, or something in between.....the kuchen the grocery store sells is a kind of custard-y filling in a cake-y crust. Like the first option on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuchen . You say it "koo-ken" not "koo-chen".
Originally Posted by LDG

Pasties are tasty!
I've heard that it's pronounced past-y (like "in times past"), not paste-y. Rhymes with nasty not tasty. Is that correct?