Regarding Amber, John and the baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder who is really "Amber" and "Kaelyn" in the pictures.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

I must be more gullible than I thought if your suspicions are true........I'm truly an honest person and I just assume that most people are too.........
Me too Susie!

I just don't know what to think.....or say.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

They sort of sounded the same--had the same typing style.
Yes, exactly. I haven't been here long...but I did notice that both of "them" rarely used apostrophes...like cant wont dont instead of can't won't don't. Hmm.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Yes, exactly. I haven't been here long...but I did notice that both of "them" rarely used apostrophes...like cant wont dont instead of can't won't don't. Hmm.
What I noticed in common was "your" instead of "you're," and "to" when it should have been "too" - but then those are common mistakes, so I noticed, but it didn't set off alarms.

ETA: Now that we've received pretty positive confirmation that it was a hoax, do you think it was malicious to get money, or just to get attention?

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more I sit and think about this the more sick it makes me.

If you pull up both their posts side by side, they type exactly the same. They type in very short sentences and use the exact same lack of punctuation. This is all just so crazy.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

ETA: Now that we've received pretty positive confirmation that it was a hoax, do you think it was malicious to get money, or just to get attention?
Both maybe? Some people are just sick that way, and thrive off of getting attention in any way that they can. I do hope that whoever "they" are that they get help.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well this is totally bizzare! A fake internet death never even occured to me. I'm just as stunned about this as I was about "Amber's" death!

But it did a few things. It reminded all of us that TCS is a wonderful place with incredibly giving, caring people despite the few bad apples that happen by (like we needed reminding
).

And, I guess, for those of us who take people at face value, and who trust others because we are who we say we are and what we say is going on in our lives is going on, it has taught us to use a little caution when it comes to "electronic" friends.

Just freaky!

Laurie

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I wonder who is really "Amber" and "Kaelyn" in the pictures.
It's very easy to get photos off the Web. I was rather shocked when a member of a German cat forum I belong to informed me that somebody on a French cat forum was using one of my "Jamie siggies". She provided a link, and sure enough, it was my then current siggy.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its just sad...

So many of us shed tears over this and if we've been had, its just not right.

Well, I am who I say I am, my username says it all really (Well, I suppose thats not exactly true now I'm married!) But thats definately my maiden name.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep you can lift pics from anywhere on the web, especially places like Myspace and livejournal.

I like many others would be glad to provide proof that I am who I say I am to those that I have become friends with on here. I would hate for this trajedy to cause us all to turn against each other in times of need. I have Yahoo messenger, if anyone wants to add me just drop me a pm!!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ditto about the yahoo. My username is the same as it is on here. And same as here.... I'm on ALL DAY.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I post to another site that has had a couple of hoaxes too. In one case the person pretended to have been kidnapped as a small child and was looking for her real parents. Another was claiming to be a victim's advocate, and she solicited money to continue to do her "work." In both cases, I didn't get involved, but felt really bad for those who did and were hoodwinked. The shame of it all is not so much the money, but the trust that was stolen.

I'm usually cautious by nature, but I really thought this was real. It was only the last couple of days I became suspicious - especially when CGM was posting on threads that had nothing to do with Amber, and his replies sounded so trite.

(So how do I hide my memory rose?) I want it gone!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been Googling their names for days, with absolutely no relevant results, but didn't want to say anything that might upset anyone. Unfortunately, I've seen this happen before (and have even played MUCH more tame internet pranks on RL friends when I was 11 or 12). It all seemed way too coincidental to me, but then, stranger things have happened in RL. So I didn't think it was my place to say anything, in case it WAS real.

I've been to a TCS meetup, so you can ask Beckiboo, Clixpix or RubSlutsMom if you need any proof that I'm real

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I post to another site that has had a couple of hoaxes too. In one case the person pretended to have been kidnapped as a small child and was looking for her real parents. Another was claiming to be a victim's advocate, and she solicited money to continue to do her "work." In both cases, I didn't get involved, but felt really bad for those who did and were hoodwinked. The shame of it all is not so much the money, but the trust that was stolen.

I'm usually cautious by nature, but I really thought this was real. It was only the last couple of days I became suspicious - especially when CGM was posting on threads that had nothing to do with Amber, and his replies sounded so trite.

(So how do I hide my memory rose?) I want it gone!
If you go to your profile, you can either make it invisible or delete it!!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be nice if we could just maybe change the message on it. That way we didn't waste our points...

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just couldn't get past the idea that this man would even come home from the hospital the night his SO died giving birth to their newborn, let alone POST ON A FORUM about it--not ONCE, but multiple times!! If you'd died, the last thing I'd even remotely THINK about is the internet
That's exactly the reason why I thought it was all bull.

And admins can match ips and users but if they said that they were always posting from the same house (did they live together?) then its pretty much useless because the ips and such will match regardless. If they said say Amber posted from one location and John posted from another, and ip checking revealed that there was only one location, then that could prove they are the same person.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I feel bad having the rose there--since this is all a hoax and research was made.
But my question is--who "is" Amber and John? Where did they get these pictures of Nazumi, Bagheera, Kitten, Annie, and Lily? Are "Amber" and "John" real people, but just used fake names? I just wish we all had answers to this.
Someone may have already said this (as I am only half way through reading
, but our administrators on my dog website had to make a photo thread accessable only to members, because someone (known to them) had been "stealing'' pics and claiming the animals as her own elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.