Refund from Breeder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to pick up kitty shortly and talk to vet. I have made up my mind to see what can be done and if nothing at least bring my baby home for the weekend. I didnt mean health risks from this certain disease I just mean from cats being in the house period. My grandmother in law who I am very pissed at at the moment. Because all she said when I told her about my cat was well you dont need to have a cat in the house with the baby (my 2 year old, who absolutely adores Mr. Jinx!) and her husband freaking smokes like a freight train. which I am personally against and dont allow in my home and I think is worse than a cat could ever be!

Funny story: ONe morning my kid woke up and Mr. Jinx was on his pillow and the baby reached up and started tickling the cat saying, tickle, tickle, I tickle tickle tickle you! How cute was that, that is what I am going to miss most!

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no health risks to children from a well cared for, healthy cat. Cats are a wonderful companion for children. I have 6 children, 3 still in the nest. My youngest is 4 and has been around my persians for the last two years. His kitty just had her second litter, they are 4 weeks old today. My kitty is expecting her first litter in a few weeks. Charlie, the 4 year old, helps feed, brush and play with the cats and kittens. He refuses to help out at bath time though, wonder why? LOL
I'm glad you are bringing your baby home. I'm sure he will feel better there. Please keep us posted as to how he is doing!

misha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm really, really sorry to hear about your kitten, I hope everything works out in the long run.

Regarding your grandmother in law, geez.....I'd have a hard time keeping my mouth shut with somebody so completely selfish, and narrow minded. Why do people still think that our pets are disease causing creatures? I'm about to have a baby (due in 3 days), and you would NOT believe the number of people who have told me to get rid of the cats....because of course our pets are of so little importance that we can dispose of them like yesterday's newspaper. It makes me so angry. I'd be far more worried about exposing a child to the carcinogenic (sp) effects of cigarette smoke than an indoor only cat, that's for sure. While there are diseases that are zoonotic, there aren't that many. Human to human transmission of disease is a bigger risk than feline to human transmission of disease.

Sorry, I just had to let that out.

Again, good luck with your kitten....you sound like a wonderful owner, and he is lucky to have found you. I truly hope everything works out for the best.

Julia.

bbsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mr. Jinx, I picked him up Friday, he cant walk and I am feeding him with a syringe, I put some of his cat food in the blender. I think he is in pain, because he bite me and it drew blood and he has never done that before. I feel so bad, but I am dreading taking him to the vet. I didnt even want to go to sleep last night, because I dreaded today so much!

About the grandmother-inlaw, I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut too but she is always like that..She is a pet hater and I think they are cold hearted people! The least she could've done was not say anything. Second hand smoke is so much worse than a cat could ever be! The thing about the second hand smoke is I have asthma and they treat me like I am lying when I say it chokes me up!

I called the breeder and she was suppose to call the vet but she still hasnt which kinda makes me mad!

MISHA<

Good luck with your baby!

bbsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question for all breeders? I got a kitten from a lady in December, I didnt sign a contract. The cat has been in my house and no where else but the vet. He has FIP and is in very bad condition and I am going to have to have him Euthanized tomorrow. (I am very distraught about this)Do you think I am entitled to a refund or replacement? Breeder is denying it came from her? and not testing her cats?

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To be honest, it seems as though you are out options. Since there was no contract signed you have no proof that your baby came from her.

Contracts are to protect the buyer as well as the breeder.

I am very sorry to hear about your little one, I've been following this for the past few days and it breaks my heart.

Breeders such as the one you dealt with give all of us a bad name!

cherry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
first, I'm so sorry about your kitty... Can I ask you a question? Did the breeder microchip your kitten? Or you did it yourself?

bbsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten does not have a microchip? why do you ask?

cherry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ask about it because it's the only way to prove if you have not signed the contract that this very kitten came from that very breeder if she did it....
We usually do this to all our kittens and send them to the new owners already with this thing inside. It helps if anyone will have any difficulties...
If the kitten was bought without it, the breeder can say - this kitten wasn't born in my house, I've never seen this man before, what he wants from me? and you won't be able to prove that you're write...

bbsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to clear things up she isnt denying that the cat came from her only the virus. She has already called my vet and spoke to him so I have proof right there. I am going to take her to small claims court if she doesnt refund my money.

bbsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I called her she didnt even know what coronavirus was. She just keeps saying my cats are healthy. So I dont think she is even going to have them tested.

cherry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by bbsmom
When I called her she didnt even know what coronavirus was. She just keeps saying my cats are healthy. So I dont think she is even going to have them tested.
I'm so sorry for your kitty... I had the same story here in Russia...
But is she gonna make all the tests?

bbsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure

cherry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well... Do you know if her cattery is registred in TICA, CFA or smth?
And does she have a Cattery?

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If this person who has the web site is not a breeder, I don't know what she is. She shows, breeds, sells cats. That is a breeder. So, #1 she lied to the vet.

She says on the web site: "All of our kitties are sold with a written contract._ Pets are sold with a spay and neuter contract, which I strictly inforce." #2 she also lied to you cuz she didn't sell your kitten with a contract.

If she were an ethical breeder, she wouldn't have done either lie or not have a contract AND she would have known about FIP and been extremely concerned about possibly having the disease in her cattery.

I'm so sorry this has turned out so terribly. Has the vet said where else your kitty could have gotten it?

bbsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No there is no where else he could've gotten it. He has only been to the vet. She (the breeder) actually tried to blame it on the vet. I am getting so frustrated. WE (me and the breeder) are emailing each other back and forth and she is starting to get ugly with me. And now she is testing her cat but only one the mother to my cat. SHe doesnt understand that it could be ANY CAT there that came in contact with my cat.

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so frustrated for you. . . unfortunately bad breeding practices, lack of knowledge and unwillingness to improve and protect her cattery and kittens is going to bite any breeder in the bottom.

Did she say that if mama cat tests positive she would refund? or under no circumstance would she refund and she's only doing this cuz some vet told her to? If she has not agreed to refund under any circumstances, I would try to take a step back to save your sanity. It may not be worth dealing with this person who seems stuck deep in denial and may be passing on this disease to more kitties. It's like watching a car accident in slow motion and she's just not getting the message. If you plan on taking her to small claims, save her all correspondance, but your life and sanity are more important.

I'm so sorry how awful this has turned out.

bbsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI! Thanks for your support I am thinking about dropping the thing. I am so frustrated and sick at my stomach. She said she would refund if the mom tested positive but it may have come from any of the other cats. I dont know what made her decide to finally test. I just dont want anyone else to go thru what I went thru and am still continuing to go thru.

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally understand that you don't want anyone else to go through with what you are going through.. . if you knew what cat affiliations (CFA TICA etc) she registered under you might be able to send them a letter and let them know what poor breeding practices she had.

But *please* be careful. I know you want to protect other kitties and other people but please don't cross the line and do something that could be deemed as defamatory like criticize her in public or something — I'm not a lawyer but just wanted you to be careful. I would hate to see YOU get sued or something just for telling the truth. You would need to tell the truth in the proper venues. If not, you might be making yourself vulnerable to more trouble. Maybe some of the breeders on this board can give you ideas of where the proper venue for making a complaint like this would be?