Redirected Aggression?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My parents have two young indoor cats - a spayed female 1 year old, and a neutered male, almost a year old.  They were adopted together last Fall, and have always been best buds.  

Last evening, as the cats were bird-watching through the glass door, a neighborhood cat came up to the door and the female went crazy - according to my mother - and attacked the male (who was a runt and still small).  It took them a very long time to calm her down, and the male remained terrified of her.  My parents thought she could have killed him (I guess that is possible).

They separated them for the night, female closed in a bedroom with food and litter box, male able to roam the house.  This morning she took off after him again, although it wasn't as violent as last night.  The male is acting like a scorned wife - and he growls or hisses if she comes near.  He's not forgiving or forgetting.

My mother is beside herself today as to what to do.  Does anyone here have experience with this type of redirected aggression?  I saw a "cat whisperer" show earlier this year that dealt with a similar situation, but can't remember what solved the problem.

Would Feliway spray be something that might help?  I've used the plug-ins for cat-marking - and swear they made the cats mark more.  But I've heard that the spray can really calm a cat.  The smaller male kitty could use some serious calm right now.

If there are any "cat whisperers" on here with good advice - please let me know so I can help nip this problem in the bud.  Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, after I posted I searched (yeah, I know) and found quite a bit of helpful info.  The situation is improving, but both cats are still kinda nervous wrecks.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently had this problem with my two 3 1/2 year old indoor only neutered male cats that have lived together since kittenhood. See here: Two Cats Suddenly Fighting Aggressively

Feliway, calming treats, separating - nothing seemed to help. The one who had been attacked was terrified of the other cat. What finally worked was to put the one who was attacked (not the aggressor) on Valium. Got prescription from vet for an oral suspension, my pharmacist mixed it up in a chicken flavored version. And it worked like magic in just a couple of days.

Good luck. I do know how upsetting this can be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, they just kinda "got over it".  My parents obsessed for a few days, and the cats had a few scuffles that were mean, but they did become friends once again.  My parents moved the perches/cat chairs from in front of the back door, because there is no guarantee the cat won't come back and jump at them, and they made a couple other little changes.  Hopefully it never happens again.

Thanks for your responses so quickly!