Really having a problem with Jasmine going potty outside of the litter. Any ideas?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm getting to this thread a little late but i wanted to suggest our litterbox situation. i use rubbermaids but without the tops. stimpy never really liked covered boxes but tolerated them. he's a BIG cat. everybody used the rubbermaids first when i did still have some covered boxes. this is what mine look like. it's actually a sterilite tub from target. it's $3 or so. nabu pees over the sides if we don't have the high sides like this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/littleraven7726/litterboxafter2.jpg

the not pooping in the box can indicate she doesn't like the litter. if you can't find cat attract make sure you get an unscented soft sandy scooping litter.

i hope she's doing better soon.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The open litter box and cage where she can be with others is really good advice! It is so great that you did that for her! And if she gets fussy in the cage, you can cover it and she will calm down after a bit.

I agree too, the Cat Attract litter is so popular a solution for this problem. It is virtually all over this forum as a remedy and I have seen countless testimonies to it. I think if you can't find it at Petsmart or PetCo you can get it on line. I think it is sold as an additive or whole litter. Do google it if you think you need more info.

It is a little strange that her UTI symptoms did not begin to clear up sooner. If she is not over the infection after the full course of meds; and the vet has to change her to a different antibiotic, you might ask them about giving her an IV of the antibiotic before sending you home with new meds. That should hasten recovery if it comes to this (god forbid!)

You have done a lot for your kitty!!
I am so happy
for you that she is comfortable now compared to before.

Forgive me if this has already been covered in the thread: Once you begin to wean her back to the "regular" situation with your litter boxes, I suggest you keep the guest bedroom off limits. If you have not already used an enzymatic cleaner (before using detergent) in the area(s) she has soiled, and bought plastic sheets to encase the mattress, you should do that to eliminate as much odor as possible. Even consider tossing the bedding because it can retain odor (to the cats' noses) even after thorough washings. Otherwise she or the other cats may go there just because it smells to them as if it is an acceptable area for pooping and peeing.

I would ultimately leave the top off the litter box for your fatty girl especially if she feels she has the choice between the guest room bed or other past inappropriate areas and the box. I like littleraven's rubbermaid suggestion. I may use that for my kits too because I have one that pees over the sides now and then!

If and when you do open the door to the guest room again, I would put sheets of tin foil on the area where she used to eliminate, just to make it unattractive to her.

Good luck. I am so happy your girl seems to be doing better!!!