re: trapping stray cat

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have posted about my moms stray for 10 years on the deck but I cannot trap the cat. The cat just now let me pet it and rolled over in delightment that I would massage and scratch him but then my mother showed up and threw a fit. She has alz and her reasoning is shot. She yelled at me and the poor cat just sat there. he is ill and needs to see a vet. He was captured in march with a havahart by a shelter but they will not help out now. The guy who did it said you will not be able to trap him again in a trap is that true????This poor cat loves me and my attention but my mom is nuts at this point and thinks nothing is wrong I need to get the cat to a vet??? BUT CANNOT WITH HER THERE!!! Will try the trap again, if not then what???

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going on far to long. 

I have had cats at the vet in a day-2 days tops who were feral(no way a human could touch them). 

Options have been stated. 

This cat could easily be moved.  Trap don't seem needed.  A lot of cats trapped will not trap easily.  BUT this cat is not feral if he is rolling over.

You need to hire someone to distract your mom or go at night. You are making things alot harder then need to be and the cat is paying with his health.

Your mom also needs to not be living by herself.  I know its hard but seriously this cat and your mom need help.  Call the senior services or what ever it is in your town/county.  And the alz help line nunber to get more numbers to call.

Find a alz support group for more local ideas. 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that it is time for you to get this poor cat some help. If he is rolling over and this friendly then you might be able to get him in a crate or start feeding him in a crate and then close the door. You going to have to ignore your mothers rants over you caring for this cat and just get him some help even if that means helping him to the "bridge". I also agree that this has been going on too long now and it seems the cat is trying to tell you something. I understand this is hard on you but it is harder on the cat if he is suffering. I want to add that trapping cat's a second or third time can be done and has been done. It is possible. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its much harder than you think.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you posted on craigslist for someone to help trap but not KEEP the cat.  I have done this in the past for ads of the net.  gone with a trap and just got the cat and for some taken it to the clinic for others they had a setup but either couldn't lift or worked to long hours.

You keep saying the deck is what Mom sees.  So cant you put a trap under the deck or against house if decks closed off?

Havbe you ATTEMPTED to trap this cat in the month it has been sick?

Don't over think this or make it harder-set the trap out set it and see what happens.  At least it's a step in right direction.

And you may just get him.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mean to be cruel or insensitive, but chances are your mother will forget about the cat if the cat is not around for a few days; that's what alz does to the brain.  Been there with my mother.

Unless you are afraid your mother will physically attack you, I do not understand why you can't simply scruff the cat and place the cat into a carrier and take her to the vets.  Have someone distract your mother and get the cat. 

Some cats will refuse to go into a trap if they've been trapped before.  But I have one cat that went in TWICE in the same night, and she'd been trapped three months earlier.  Depends on the cat.  But this cat seems so friendly, I think the cat could be simply picked up and placed into the carrier.

Also strongly agree that your mother should be evaluated by a doctor in so far as whether she is a danger to herself or others and whether she should be living alone.  Yeah I know ALL ABOUT the financial implications of that.  Check your local county/state department of aging for information.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely your mom takes a nap now and then? Or perhaps watches a favorite TV show? At any rate, wait untill she's distracted and snag the kitty then. Or let her yell and do it anyway, unless she's violent. If he lets you massage him, he's not feral. . .maybe a bit skittish. Just have a carrier handy, and when he lets you massage him, scruff him and stuff him into the carrier quickly. If you don't think you can handle that, try the trap--I do know plenty of cats who can be trapped multiple times.

pugsanonymous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It isn't always true that you can't trap them again if they've been trapped before. It totally depends on the cat. I caught/rescued one who then got out of a larger cage in my basement a few days later, I set up the trap again and she was back in the following night. So it is *well* worth a try. Absolutely nothing to lose by trying to trap him and get him to a vet. Not sure of the whole situation, but unless your mom is sitting on the deck 24/7 how will she see every move you make with the cat? Best of luck.

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I got him. Actually my mother got him in a carrier. I was shocked. Got her at a good time I guess. He has FIV and other test results should be back tommorrow. The vet was very nice. We''ll see what transpires. I brought him home with me and have him in the bathroom with a nice set up. He was very calm at the vet you would never have known he was a stray. He does have an infection. So as Long as I can give him some good time we'll see. I know its tuff on him being inside but to put him back out would be wrong. He also had a strong 2 week antibiotic shot . .This way I can keep any eye on him. Hopefully its not to stressful for him, which it is but I hope he will adjust. what would you people have done. Put him back outside or bring him in???

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, this is super news.

I would try to keep him inside, especially because he is FIV+. 

There are some posts about how to socialize a "feral" cat.  This cat isn't feral, but the posts should give you some good ideas how to make it easier on everyone.

I forget:  are you living with your mother?  If so, how would she feel about it?

When my mother's alz became worse, she became neglectful of her dog and somewhat rough with "Lovey Dovey" (a very small poodle).  My sister visited my mother almost every day, and ended up taking care of Lovey Dovey and eventually adopted her after my mother's death.

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well she forgot that it was even taken. I did not tell her much else but its better the cat is with me. Its pouring rain now and the thought of this cat lying under the deck and being ill was so bad. Now he has a nice setup and no rain can get to him. whether he is here for a long time or a brief time at least he's safe and inside where I can watch over him. Worrying about him and my mother was just too much. She lives alone but do have some help and I have been doing all the caregiving. Working on that problem as well and have been for quite sometime. Having that disease is extremely difficult and how to handle things etc etc but I'm doing my best.

pugsanonymous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep him in. Even more so because he is sick. He needs a safe, warm, loving home. He will adapt and come to love you and his new home. You did the right thing.

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What I don't get is why the vet gave him another rabies when he just had one in March? There was something on his ear which he had had before it was from scratching it. It healed up after the first rabies so he asked when was that there. I said it was from constantly scratching it which open sensitive spots. So he still gave another rabies. I also just read when you vaccinate a sick or older cat it can trigger FIV since the immune system is already weakened. Guess its a catch 22!! The cat was fine and happy after it was TNR back in march and had his shots BUT went downhill very quickly this past month so perhaps the idea of not vaccinating is true??? Though I know he had to be back then. Whatever just want to make him happy for now. Doing another Rabies could be his downfall!!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutering needs to be done but I do wonder if it was the stress of the first trip.  I only had 2 experiences with FIV and both were older true ferals and had extensive issues with teeth and health.  Both were euthanized for the reason they would have needed ALOT of expensive dental work and being feral there was no way they could go back out like that and not have someone looking after them/supplementing them.

It may be protocol for any outside cat to protect staff though I never have heard of that being done.  Does it say booster or if its good for 1 or 3 years?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its much harder than you think.
:hugs: :hugs: just :hugs:.....

Well I got him. Actually my mother got him in a carrier. I was shocked. Got her at a good time I guess. He has FIV and other test results should be back tommorrow. The vet was very nice. We''ll see what transpires. I brought him home with me and have him in the bathroom with a nice set up. He was very calm at the vet you would never have known he was a stray. He does have an infection. So as Long as I can give him some good time we'll see. I know its tuff on him being inside but to put him back out would be wrong. He also had a strong 2 week antibiotic shot . .This way I can keep any eye on him. Hopefully its not to stressful for him, which it is but I hope he will adjust. what would you people have done. Put him back outside or bring him in???
This is truly amazing, just wonderful, hun. I absolutely think he needs to be inside with you right now. Honestly, I don't think he would have survived much longer without intervention and a vet check. WOW truly amazing that your mother put him in the carrier. Honestly I think he is probably relieved to be resting indoors, I really do. :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I don't get is why the vet gave him another rabies when he just had one in March? There was something on his ear which he had had before it was from scratching it. It healed up after the first rabies so he asked when was that there. I said it was from constantly scratching it which open sensitive spots. So he still gave another rabies. I also just read when you vaccinate a sick or older cat it can trigger FIV since the immune system is already weakened. Guess its a catch 22!! The cat was fine and happy after it was TNR back in march and had his shots BUT went downhill very quickly this past month so perhaps the idea of not vaccinating is true??? Though I know he had to be back then. Whatever just want to make him happy for now. Doing another Rabies could be his downfall!!
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!! OMG what kind of vet ..... OH I can't even speak, I am just fuming. OK - this is just unbelievable. Especially to vaccinate when the cat is ill in the first place :thud: I am sorry - but that was totally wrong for this vet to do. :eek:nfire: That rabies vaccine he received in March was good for three years. YEP - the one year is the exact same thing as the three year. I have NEVER heard of any vet in my life to knowingly give a rabies vaccine three months apart and to a sick cat, no less! :mad: :shocked: I will keep you and this kitty close at heart tonight. Thank goodness he is indoors where you can monitor him. That vet needs a good talking too :eek:nfire: :nono: Well - mega hugs to you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: as I know how very difficult this whole ordeal has been these past few weeks. AND massive vibes for this little guy :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its one year live rabies. The cat had some sores on his ear which he kept itching I told him it was from the itching that it kept opening up, So he said there was pus in it. So then he asked was that there before the rabies or after the rabies shot I said it was fine after he got back from TNR. So he decides to do another shot. I stay away from vets and doctors now I know why. Should I bring the cat back to where he was outside? After 11 years outside it may be more stressful for him here?

pugsanonymous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I bring the cat back to where he was outside? After 11 years outside it may be more stressful for him here?
No..... Please keep him safe inside. He will adjust. It will take some time. He's *not* going to be better off or happier outdoors. Perhaps the there was no record of the vaccination and the vet figured better safe than sorry. Otherwise don't understand that, but couldn't you maybe change to another vet if need be? Please don't send him back outdoors. :(