Re homing fee...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone is eating well and we've only had a couple accidents so far. 

I can get them all their 8 week shots for $100.  The rabies has to wait until 12 weeks.  Honestly I am not comfortable keeping them past 10 weeks.  Getting them fix would cost $70 each and I can't risk them getting pregnant.  So back to my original question, how much should I charge?  I have one adopter waiting who wants to give me $50 on Saturday to hold one for her.  Which I already told her I would simply hold it.  I was thinking $25.  That will over the first vaccine, some food and maybe I can throw one month of flea treatment each?  Does that sound reasonable since they would still need their rabies shot?

More photos :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are too young for rabies shots. Rabies shots are not given until kittens are 6 months old.

It's okay if you have a kitten past 10 weeks while it's waiting to be adopted. Please make sure that spaying or neutering is part of the bargain.

Twenty-five dollars sounds fair. The $50 is very generous and helps you tp pay for their first shots. At 8 weeks they are big enough to have Advantage topical flea treatment on the back of their necks in the appropriate amounts.

They sure are adorable :).

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know they are too young for their rabies.  I said I am uncomfortable keeping them until they can have it.  Because I can not pay for their spaying/neutering.   Of course I will ask adopters to do so themselves, but there really isn't anything I can do to enforce it.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I know they are too young for their rabies.  I said I am uncomfortable keeping them until they can have it.  Because I can not pay for their spaying/neutering.   Of course I will ask adopters to do so themselves, but there really isn't anything I can do to enforce it.
You can ask for a non refundable deposit and keep it in a separate account of put it on account at the vet for that kitten for spay and neuter. Quite honestly if they don't want to do this then it's unlikely they'll cough up the money and get it done on their own.

If there were no little kittens to be had we would all be heartbroken. Not all of them have to be purebred. They should all be wanted and loved. The common ordinary housecat is a treasure in millions of households. On the flip side there are millions of feral cats that lead horrible miserable short abuse filled lives. Many of these so called feral cats are the dumped pets that the owners were to lazy and stupid to get fixed.

The nicest people can do the worst things.

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can ask for a non refundable deposit and keep it in a separate account of put it on account at the vet for that kitten for spay and neuter. Quite honestly if they don't want to do this then it's unlikely they'll cough up the money and get it done on their own.
If there were no little kittens to be had we would all be heartbroken. Not all of them have to be purebred. They should all be wanted and loved. The common ordinary housecat is a treasure in millions of households. On the flip side there are millions of feral cats that lead horrible miserable short abuse filled lives. Many of these so called feral cats are the dumped pets that the owners were to lazy and stupid to get fixed.
The nicest people can do the worst things.
Yes I could do that. However I've gotten one person lined up with just mentioning a "fee" The sad truth is the shelters make their money off of people like me. They'll charge me $70 for the spaying and $50 for the shots, plus fees for the test and $1 for every disposed vaccine. Now if you want to adopt a kitten, you can pay as low as $25 at that same shelter already vaccinated and spayed. So you see how difficult charging any more, or making them give me a deposit for spaying is going to be?

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally myself went and adopted straight from the shelter to get around all their bs for neutering. Paid $30 for my tabby and he had the three year rabies shot! This is what I'm up against.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I could do that. However I've gotten one person lined up with just mentioning a "fee" The sad truth is the shelters make their money off of people like me. They'll charge me $70 for the spaying and $50 for the shots, plus fees for the test and $1 for every disposed vaccine. Now if you want to adopt a kitten, you can pay as low as $25 at that same shelter already vaccinated and spayed. So you see how difficult charging any more, or making them give me a deposit for spaying is going to be?
Quite the racket isn't it. And it lets people like my neighbors get pet after pet that is neglected Case in point two ' rescue' dogs that I've called AC on them about nearly 30 times now.

So just from my point of view. Before Kitten was left with partial sight last month we were talking about adding a kitten to the family. I know of hardly anyone who has brought home a shelter kitty without dealing with the URI on some level. If we were still considering at the moment I would choose one of your kittens with a high rehoming fee over one from a shelter. I'm not buying the kitten. I'm buying the history.

If we didn't already have cats or we had a way to truly quarantine a kitten I would consider the shelter . But I would still look at kittens like yours. The cheapest part of pet ownership is almost always the purchase or the adoption fee. At the very least considering asking for an upfront deposit for the spay/neuter should give you some insight into the kind of questions you want to ask.

stormy bledsoe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's got a messy face!! <3 Anyways, what i did with my dog[I got her when she had a 2 week old litter] I had the adopters pay a 50 dollar fee, half of which was returned when they proved to me the puppies were fixed. A security deposit of sorts. Or make them sign a contract in front of someone who has the ability to notarize things[a lot of bankers can legally notarize things] so if they fail to fix the kittens, you can take legal action against them.

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All but one kitty found a home.  Thank goodness and it was all word of mouth so I know they are in good hands.  HOWEVER the one that is left my husband is allergic to.  Its medium length hair.  He is having asthma attacks every single night.  I don't know what to do.  Any ideas short of locking her up?  I really don't want to do that to her :(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has your husband tried Benadryl at night? (sleepiness) It does WONDERS for allergies. An allergy shot would even be better. All the luck!

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I don't know if that would work.  His mother has a beagle mix.  He takes allergy meds before we go there and still has attacks.  I honestly think he is allergic to the mother too.  I have kept the kitten out of our room but still he gets irritated.  Her fur is very slick and shiny.  He isn't allergic to our dog or other cats.  Its been a rough couple of weeks since I let them out of the extra room. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A thorough house cleaning is called for to remove dander, including vaccuming and mopping and washing linens. The cat can be bathed, dried, and brushed as well.

However, the only long-term solution besides your husband taking allergy medicine is to re-home this cat too.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

All but one kitty found a home.  Thank goodness and it was all word of mouth so I know they are in good hands.  HOWEVER the one that is left my husband is allergic to.  Its medium length hair.  He is having asthma attacks every single night.  I don't know what to do.  Any ideas short of locking her up?  I really don't want to do that to her :(
My husband has COPD. Cat dander is serious in our house. We have an air filter but I also wipe my cats off with a damp rag Or use the kitty wipes you can buy and vacuum often.

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea, I keep a very clean home and have been extra diligent with dusting our bedroom.   He's using his inhaler and prescription meds.  Its not working.  He was wheezing in his sleep last night.  I hope it is just the baby.  I don't understand how he could be allergic to one short haired cat and not the other.  I will bathe the kitty.  I wasn't sure if that would make a difference or not.  What about an air purifier?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IIs it still possible that you could rehome the cat? I know it is hard. My husband had serious allergy problems too, not asthma. Nothing worked until we put the two cats outside. We had a fenced in yard. We added the Cat Fence In System around the top of the fence. The house was thoroughly cleaned and the cats lived the rest of their lives outside, on the porch and in the garage.

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea, I might have to.  I really don't want to.  She has been bounced around enough already :(  We live in the city so its really not a good idea to leave her outside. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Yea, I keep a very clean home and have been extra diligent with dusting our bedroom.   He's using his inhaler and prescription meds.  Its not working.  He was wheezing in his sleep last night.  I hope it is just the baby.  I don't understand how he could be allergic to one short haired cat and not the other.  I will bathe the kitty.  I wasn't sure if that would make a difference or not.  What about an air purifier?
I meant purifier.  I hope you find a solution.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he tried showering right before he goes to bed?  If the dander is in his hair it will get on his pillow and he will breathe it in all night.

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea he has been showering before bed and using eucalyptus oil.  I washed the sheets, vacuumed the bed and kept the windows open most of the day.  Mittens, as we are calling her, doesn't come down stairs much and he doesn't have an attack until he goes up to bed.  She just recently started coming into the bedroom.  So I am assuming it is her and not Momma.  He is insisting its both though.