Re homing fee...

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took in a cat who is about 1 year old.  This was supposed to be a foster situation until the women that found her found her a home.  Welll I guess she figured she found a home with me and she's my problem now, haha.  Any ways I noticed she is pregnant.  No idea how far along.  She never went into heat and my cat was neutered at the shelter we adopted him from.  I know this is my responsibility now.  I know I shouldn't have taken a cat in with out thinking she would be abandoned again.  But I can't afford vaccinations for 5 kittens.  So how do I justify a re homing fee?  Are people really opened to paying for a cat that isn't fix?  I know I wasn't which is why both my cat and dog came from a shelter!  I am thinking of donating it all to the local shelter.  They have been running out of cat food weekly.  How much should I charge really?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An adoption fee is a wise way to go. It immediately weeds out folks who may not be serious about providing a responsible home where spaying or neutering and vaccinations will take place. You should always interview prospective adoptive parents and even go to their home where the kitten will live. You need their names, addresses, more than one phone number, and a promise the kitten will be fixed. You also need to make it clear that you will gladly take back the kitten with no questions asked if it doesn't work out for any reason, and therefore you give them your name, address, and phone numbers.

The fee can be used to spay this cat after the kittens wean, or it can be donated. The point is that it pays for the food and care you have given to the mom and kittens and if the people are serious, they won't mind paying it. It should be whatever you feel is fair - say twenty dollars.

Now, about your cat - don't beat yourself up. In fact, consider that you are actually saving this cat and her kittens and guaranteeing a much better future for them. You are doing the right thing!

Your cat needs plenty of kitten chow, wet food, and water during pregnancy and lactation. She needs the extra calories and minerals and vitamins to grow healthy kittens.

You'll need to set up a nesting box for her in a quiet, private place such as a closet.

When did you notice her nipples pink up and her belly starting to grow? Can you post a picture? :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.  I didn't think about my cost for just the food.  I have been pricing food to get her for the last 3 weeks.  Man oh man.  Good quality food is $20 for 3lbs.

I am looking at things like Merrick, Nurto and Royal Canin.  I wont lie, all of my animals get Rachael Ray Grain free :p  And again I wont lie this isn't my first experience.  As a child my mum took in a cat that managed to escape on three different scheduled days to be spayed.  I am hoping she isn't as sneaky!

I will have to post pictures tomorrow.  I noticed last week.  Her belly went from bulky to basket ball since then.  She is SMALL which has me worried.  Our old school vet says nature wont give her what her body can't handle.  Or maybe he is just hoping for that $2,000 emergency visit haha.

I have posted a couple times in the past year.  I have taken care of the neighborhood cats.  Perhaps I will stay a while this time.  While my heart aches for all homeless animals, this stuff stresses me out.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it can be stressful, but very rewarding. All you can do is the best that you can.

So perhaps she is halfway there or a bit more? You probably know that cat pregnancy is about 65 days, and nipples pink up around day 21.

Stay with us this time! :)

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our vet is very nice and will answer SOME questions over the phone.  That is what he said, probably a just a little more than half way.   He said he'd do an xray to get a better idea but it's really not necessary.  Just to start getting ready and call if she seems to be struggling.

I will stay, thanks :)   Maybe it will help to post pictures and chat about it a bit.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will, and an x-ray isn't necessary. Most cats have healthy pregnancies and deliveries and healthy kittens. I do advise that you buy a can of KMR (powdered) at Walmart and obtain a 1-2 mL syringe to have on hand in case a kitten needs supplementing for any reason.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Our vet is very nice and will answer SOME questions over the phone.  That is what he said, probably a just a little more than half way.   He said he'd do an xray to get a better idea but it's really not necessary.  Just to start getting ready and call if she seems to be struggling.

I will stay, thanks :)   Maybe it will help to post pictures and chat about it a bit.
Yeah.  X-rays are costly, costs often more than the spaying itself.  So if not necessary for an emergency, there are better ways to put your money into.   Ultra sound is cheaper and in thsi sitation as useful, as a tip.   HERE you dont need anything such, its just to wait and see.

Is spaying NOW outside yourr plans?  That late spaying isnt pleasant, but it isnt that bad as its sounds.  The kittens will be able to survive first the last days of pregnancy.  Unlike human babies.  Which could survive already now in a decent equipped hospital.

The operation is no big deal for an experienced vet.   If your own vet wont do it, try get gold of a vet who cooperates much with shelters - such vets are often very experienced with late spayings.

As said earlier by SArthur, the easiest way to demand a rehoming fee is to get payment for spaying done.  Everyone will understand this reason, as they would otherwise be forced to pay for it anyway, if they are honest owners to be.

Last edited:

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Umm, no.  Abortion isn't an option.  I live in a no Kill area anyways.  It maybe "no big deal" for a vet, but it would be a big deal for me.  These cats will not end up in shelters and they will go to responsible owners.  

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so we're having kittens!  Spay/neuter and vaccinations are not an immediate concern. The kittens need to be at least 8 weeks for that.  They will also need to stay with mom until they are at least 10 weeks old, 12 is better.  Some people give the kittens away sooner, but the behavior forum is full of concerns that could have been avoided if the kittens stayed with mom longer.

Since you have time you can plan and research options.  Check out local rescue groups and your ASPCA for discounts on spay/neuter and vaccinations.  You can also get some ideas from this article.

[article="29706"]When You Cant Afford A Veterinarian​[/article]  

Since you took this kitten in, you can also contact rescues in the area who use foster homes.  If you are willing to foster, they may help you with vet care, food and helping to finds homes for the kittens.  Many times the rescues are limited by the number of foster homes they have.

Here is another article you may find helpful,

[article="0"]Kittens To Good Homes​[/article]  

At the top of this forum there are articles pertaining to pregnancy and kitten care.

Keep using this thread when you have more questions. You will get better advice if people see the whole story.

Thank you for taking in this cat and helping her through her pregnancy. 

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well 10-12 weeks gives me more time to figure things out.   I can get her spayed for $65 including shots at the local shelter.  Which isn't bad at all.  If you times that by possible 5 kittens, plus 5 crates, yicks!  However I thought they could go as early as 8 weeks.  Doesn't that risk them getting her pregnant though?  Because I can't get her spayed until the very last one is gone correct?  I just remember it took 6 months to find a home for one of the kittens and she still nursed.  

I didn't think about calling the rescues or shelters.   The only help, I think, is for feral cats and those one low income though.  We don't qualify for their income based programs.  I will have to check again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ASPCA will spay/neuter at 8 weeks or two pounds for kittens. They will also spay mama whether nursing or not. She can still nurse for awhile after her spay.

I had my mama kitty spayed when her kittens were 8 weeks old. She continued to nurse until about 2 weeks sgo. The kittens are now almost five months old. I had two neutered at 12 weeks and the other two a week later.

Eight-week-old kittens are not yet sexually mature.

I am confident this will all work out for you! :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The mom can be spayed when the kittens start to week around 6 weeks.  Many cats can still nurse afterwards.  Some vets will not spay until the mother is dry.  You are correct she can go into heat and conceive as soon as a week after giving birth. Nursing will not prevent her from getting pregnant.

A foster program w/money and a lack of foster homes may help you out, especially if you explain how you took her in as a foster.  It's worth a shot.  Around here you can purchase a voucher for a discount spay/neuter through the rescues and it isn't based on income.

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just saw that you can use care credit for spaying/neutering.  I thought it was just for emergency.   We will just go get that.

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her appetite is growing. Thankfully my male is afraid of her while she's eating. He can't have double meals too unless he wants to start exercising.

Can I give her chicken and egg a couple of times a week to help? She's started to come to the table and trys to eat what the kids leave behind.

I think I felt little flutters today. How soon does that happen? Should I be concerned it only came from one side of her belly?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her appetite is growing. Thankfully my male is afraid of her while she's eating. He can't have double meals too unless he wants to start exercising.

Can I give her chicken and egg a couple of times a week to help? She's started to come to the table and trys to eat what the kids leave behind.

I think I felt little flutters today. How soon does that happen? Should I be concerned it only came from one side of her belly?
Chicken eggs are good, esp if you dont have problems with salomonella in raw eggs in your country..  The best combination is probably, raw egg yolk, and boiled or cooked egg white.

You can begin to feel the kittens move about 2-max 3 weeks before the delivery.  Feeling them in one side is normal, at least for the beginning.   :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, boiled plain chicken and cooked rice and even scrambled egg is okay a few times per week.

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good.  That's what I feed the dog once and a while to switch it up.

catownerof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is really hard to get a photo of her because as soon as you are near her she wants to rub up on you.  You can kinda see in the photo that her back end is boney but nothing else.  This is what worries me.  That and she is just small in general.  She doesn't have any parasites.  She eats MORE than her share.  I think she was a runt.